Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Cowhide rugs - wear well?

bbstx
10 years ago

How well do cowhide rugs hold up? Would they wear well in a foyer? Do you have a good source for them? Do they smell?

Comments (12)

• peony4
    10 years ago

I cannot comment on durability, but I've been tempted to try this reasonably priced cowhide from Ikea. When I saw these in the store, they varied more in pattern than what you see online.

I think they're fun. I just haven't tried one yet. Please share what you end up with!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Koldby

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Friends have one, dyed orange, in their living room. It has not worn well.

• User
    10 years ago

bbstx-

Eons ago I had a cowhide upholstered desk chair that I loved, and held up remarkably well, however, it did eventually show wear, but, as with most natural materials, even the wear pattern - chair seat patina, if you will - looked better than the petroleum based mesh things in pristine condition. But I am a patina lover, so take that FWIW.

sandyponder

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

It depends upon how the hide was processed. A friend sent me one and I wouldn't use it on a floor. Even with a rug pad, easy to slip on topside. Other hides may be completely different.

Actually can't figure out what to do with it, hangs over a lower shelf of the sofa table with a couple of pillows on top. It was on an old trunk for a while, but I am not into it enough for a full view. Although my cats liked it there.

Your question though brings a question as to how they should be cared for. Mine is 12 yrs old and haven't done a thing to it and is like new. But it doesn't get any real use.

• fnmroberts
    10 years ago

Technicolor is correct in that how the hide has been processed is the key factor. How do you know? Like any good rug, buy from a reputable merchant. Bad ones will be prone to curl and the hair will come loose.

Vacuum by hand following the way the hair lays, never with a beater bar.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. I appreciate the observations and advice. I've looked on the web at various sites that sell cowhide rugs. The prices seem to range from about $250 for a calf to $400 for a large cow to $700+ for a cowhide printed like a zebra (Horchow). In other words, the prices are all over the map. I'm sure quality is too.

Some of the photos I've seen on houzz the rugs look fine, some seem to have a raised line where the spine would have been. Is that normal?

Also, technicolor mentioned that they slide on the floor. I can see how that would happen. Many of the photos online show them over a carpet, but if I get one, it will go directly on the wood floor.

There is non-slip tape that you can put on the backside of a throw rug - not the kind that sticks it to the floor, but tape that is supposed to give the rug a non-skid quality. Would you use that tape?

Or should I get a pad (I'm thinking a nice felted pad like is used under oriental rugs), cut it slightly smaller than the hide but following the hide's shape, then using double stick carpet tape, tape the hide to the pad?

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

The raised line is naturally occuring in some breeds of cows/bulls, but not all. Neither of my rugs has it.

I haven't had a problem with slippage (when I had the rugs on tile, with nothing on them), but think tape or pads would work fine.

One of mine is natural, one is zebra dyed.

Are you in Tx? BS Trading in Arlington is a good source, I just remembered them while I was making this post.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used to be in TX, not too far from Arlington, but I've moved. BS has a website. Link below. I'll have to give them a call and see what they have.

I had a friend who did lots of big game hunting. He had a zebra rug in his study. It was gorgeous, but I could never bring myself to step on it. I wasn't creeped out, I was just concerned about it being fragile. From the responses on this thread, it seems that my concern may have been misplaced.

Here is a link that might be useful: BS Trading

• PRO
    decorhut
    8 years ago

Hi everyone, i might be late here but from my own personal experience, it depends on the origin of the cowhide and the tanning method. Firstly the best cowhide rug comes from Brazil, secondly Colombian and then Argentinian, peru etc.

Most of the Brazilian cowhides are chromium tanned, and are really soft and smooth. The better the tanning process and the softer the cowhide, the less it shed hairs or curl. Also if the cowhide rug is soft, you can easily fold it, move around with it and you it will get no wrinkles or curls.

Any questions feel free to contact me : ) I have attached the link to my facebook page.

Thanks

Hani

My Facebook Page

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

We don't have any hides on the floor. I know several people that do tho (I'm in Texas) and and I've never noticed any balding spots or heard them complain about them shedding. We have a LARGE hide hanging on the wall in our den. It's nice and soft and shows no sign of shedding. We have two cowhide deco pillows that are awful! They're prickly and have bald spots. They're rarely if ever used. We have some kind of hide (looks like antelope but that's not the correct name) on the coffee table. It's worn well too. I've wondered if there was something to treat them with to keep them from drying out and deteriorating.

• jakabedy
    8 years ago

We have three. One we purchased secondhand so I don't know its provenance. The other two were from IKEA. The IKEA hides did have a scent to them for a month or two, but then it was gone. I don't know if it was the hide, or if it was just eau du IKEA. I tried one of the IKEA hides in my office, where I have a rolling chair. It didn't hold up well to the rolling chair. The chair didn't damage it, but it caused rolls in the hide. It was a hassle shooting it out, and I was afraid it was getting stretched. I moved that one to the guest room where it's happier.

None of them have shed in any way, even the one in DH's office which is a "furry" hide.