Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riley1319_gw

Decorating with black & off-white toile

riley1319
12 years ago

Our guest bedroom has a black and off-white toile bedding set. It's in fine condition so I really shouldn't replace it (even though I'd probably like to) but the room is BORING! What color walls, accents, etc. should I consider pairing to make the space more interesting?

The toile is the Waverly Country Life if it matters.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/220941889789?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Comments (14)

• User
    12 years ago

I used that type of fabric for a valance in our guest bath. Paired it up with white, black and SW Tradewind blue and I love the way it turned out.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Something like chartreuse
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I have that same pattern in my guest room.

I have used two wall colors that look great with it. BM Soft Fern and BM Desert Tan. Bed is black and side tables are white.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

This is an o

ld photo before I made some changes but you can see the wall color (Desert Tan):

• les917
    12 years ago

What kind of flooring do you have? What wood or color are the case goods in the room? Wall color and accents depend on everything in the room, not just the bedding.

Without knowing those things mentioned, apple green was a first thought if you want a bright color. A soft olive green would be quieter. Aqua, a warm soft pink, a creamy ivory/yellow for soft colors. Sunflower yellow or rusty red would be wonderful stonger colors.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Sooo timely!
    I'm working with (deep red and off-white) toile bedding this weekend in my bedroom and wondered the same thing~ how to freshen it up, make it work for spring and add a bit of punch! I have a HomeGoods gift card so I hope to go today and hunt for fun pillows. Maybe trying unusual colors (like mustard or bright yellow?) & patterns will do the trick. Please share your results, okay?

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Like nosoccermommom posted I have seen some of the most wonderful green accents in rooms w/ black toile, although now that I am thinking about it since it is cream and not white I have also seen smashing rooms w/ warm (not bright) aqua walls and cream & black toile.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

How about this?
    {{!gwi}}

• luvbydesign
    11 years ago

I just came across this topic and would like to share.

Black and white (or black & off-white) toile is an absolutely refined and elegant look...it's never, ever boring.

A nice wall color is French Putty, with the trim done in French White.

The toile pattern looks best in these areas;

a) behind the bed as bed hanging draperies
    b) dust ruffle
    c) an accent chair or ottoman
    d) skirted vanity or table
    e) pelmets on the window

The bedding (bedspread, quilt or duvet cover & small pillows)looks best in solid white (or off-white)single color.

Draperies in the same solid white

Add to the room...

A nice French Mantle painted in the same white, with a gorgeous large Venetian Mirror over it. Place Crystal & Sterling decorative pieces on the mantle.
    Create a small seating area around this mantle, preferably with French Oval back chair upholstered in White and add small trow pillows made from the Toile.

Add a small white rug somewhere in the room.

Add a triple frameles floor mirror in the corner of the room.

Voila!
    You have a gorgeous room!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Turquoise

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I just did black and white toile bedding in my bedroom with BM soft fern wall color. Its subtle, but pretty, you may think its boring though if you are looking for bolder color. I am going to use rose as an accent color. I just ordered the pillow so can't take a pic of it yet.

• demifloyd
    11 years ago

This photograph does not show much of the color, but I used a taupe/beige/slight greenish cast tile to accent the white tiles on the floor, and on the sink surround and backsplash in my black and cream toile guest bath.

It's enough of a contrast to interrupt the black and white, soft and pleasing, and blends beautifully.

Since the muted lavender guest room is part of the suite, I use lavender accents for soap and guest towels, as well.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

My bathroom has a black and cream toil shower curtain,and the walls are painted MS ballet slipper pink. love it!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner