Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alibaba_gw

I want a yellow front door....................

alibaba
13 years ago

Hi! I'm a long time lurker - I think I joined garden web 8 or 9 years ago. I totallly forgot about this site, but it came up doing an internet search for pictures of blue houses with yellow front doors.

We bought our 1984 colonial this past summer, and we're in need of some curb appeal. I don't know why I can't get it out of my head, but I really want a yellow front door. Our siding is a light blue, and the trim is a dirty/ grayish white. They're most likely staying (vinyl) but the door is a super bright white. Looks awful! I can't do red b/c my next door neighbors house is the exact same color as mine, with a red door. I was thinking black, but for some reason I'm wanting yellow. I'll try and attach a pic - it's still up on a local mls site.

Anyone have any opinions on yellow? What about terra cotta, or plum?

(Picture at) http://franklymls.com/FX7338527

Comments (13)

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Orange? I love yellow doors too, but I'm thinking it could be difficult to pull off with the siding color. Orange and blue are complimentary colors so that could work. What about raspberry? Not red, but not too pink?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Why not yellow? Blue and yellow is a very classic combo. I'd make it a bold cheery color yellow. ;)

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I think yellow would look great on your house.
    {{!gwi}}

• alibaba
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting that pic - anyone know how to photo shop different colors in?

• alibaba
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, forgot to add - on my monitor, the siding color is coming off WAY more baby blue than it is in real life. Our actual color is more of a slate/ grayish blue. Not nearly as "baby boy nursery" blue as the pic would suggest.

• happyintexas
    13 years ago

I've loved my yellow front door for nearly seven years. (!!!) It glows a welcome during the gray days of winter and blends with all the green and color during the summer.
    {{gwi:680593}}

This is a fall photo--lots of out of control greenery and faux fall leaves...

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I think yellow would be great. If the shade you pick has the same undertones as the paint you have on house it will match. A good way to figure this out is to get a bunch of paint chips (or paint samples painted on a sample board if the chips are too small )then hold them up to the house paint until you find a match. Hopefully it will be a yellow that appeals to you.
    BTW, HappyinTX (I am happy here too :) Your yellow door inspired me to go ahead and paint my door purple. I'd love to see what color your door is now. The yellow was fabulous.

• happyintexas
    13 years ago

My door is still yellow, but I've been dreaming of a plum portal lately....

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Good choice! LOL!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Black.....shiny black!

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

I love yellow doors too. Oh wait, mine is yellow - no wonder! Yellow says cheery to me and it is a bit unexpected, which I am all for. Our siding was blue when we bought the house and I painted the front door yellow. It looked great. Last year we painted the house a mid tone green and the yellow still looks good.
    Diane

• alibaba
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those that have yellow doors already - do you know the color names? I think yellow is one of the hardest colors to paint with b/c it always seems to intensify on walls and stuff. It'll look great on a paint chip, and then will be a glow in the dark highligher color when you get it on the wall.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Use sample paint on boards for a bigger picture of what it will look like :)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus