Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Wood Blinds OR Roman Shades in vintage/cottage kitchen?

tinker_2006
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm home from my trip out of state to meet my new grandbaby!! I don't know how I can be a grandmother, since I'm still only 39 yrs old! Am I really suppose to change my age with each passing birthday? Oh well... I haven't in the past 10 years!

So, I'm back at our new home, which still needs a massive amount of finishing work and trim paint. I feel really lazy.. with no motivation to work, so instead.. I'm back to doing some window decorating.

I decided for the most part to live with the house for a while, and I have - but I'm still really torn about what to put in the kitchen! I have shades up and temporary blinds, we need privacy in the night and in the mornings, I don't feel comfortable without the windows covered.

I really love the look of the windows totally naked, but I HAVE to have something there. I thought I'd like the shades, but they aren't doing it for me. I have been leaning strongly on getting 2" window blinds. I like the idea that I can adjust them to see out, yet have privacy... but I'm afraid I might spoil the look of my kitchen.. what do you think? My 2nd choice would be Roman Blinds, I love the look... but don't love the idea of them behaving more like shades.

refreshing you on my almost finished kitchen

From just moving in
From Sunrise - work in progress

Comments (47)

• lucie22
    12 years ago

I'm also doing a vintage/cottage kitchen (although nowhere near as amazing as yours!). I'm pretty sure I'm going to get roman blinds from Tonic Living. They have a very cool selection of fabric and will custom make the blinds for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tonic Living

• roarah
    12 years ago

Would you consider a simple linen cafe curtain you could hang on the lower part of the window and you could open and close them for privacy? Or plantation shutters on the lower part of the windows. I feel those styles are more vintage cottage and often look quite sweet. I think just blinds look somewhat unfinished, but that is probally just me.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lucie, I never saw hat sight before, so I've bookmarked it!

roarah... yes, I have considered both those ideas! Here is the problem, we only have neighbors that are close to our house, on our kitchen sink side. They live in a 3 story Key West house, and I've been in their home, and had a chance to "view" what they see! It's like we are on TV when we are in the kitchen. If we cover the lower half - they still have full view from the top windows, if we cover the top window.. they still have full view from the bottom.

I get the feeling that the blinds are probably not the greatest look for the windows.... what to do, what to do!?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should mention, I don't need a total black-out solution, just SOME privacy.

• amykath
    12 years ago

Definitely go with the inside mount roman shades!!! It will look perfect!!!

I ADORE your space!

• cloub
    12 years ago

LOVE your kitchen!! Have you considered bamboo shades? I love mine, and I think they add nice texture. Are your counters honed granite or soapstone?

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I'd do plantation shutters, but without the wood spine thingy in the middle, so they are more uncluttered looking. I recently had some made and they are all one unit, but the upper half opens and closes independently of the bottom half. So you can control the light and view like blinds only better.

This reminded me a bit of your room:

but this style:

• marcolo
    12 years ago

You've done a great job doing vintage cabinets, why stop there?

A truly vintage look would be a valance and a cafe curtain. If you need more, use blinds--but 3" blinds, like the old-fashioned Venetians. They really do look better because we haven't seen them in so long. Roman blinds are very contemporary.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so I think I will definitely trash the idea of 2" wood blinds...

cloub, yes - I have thought of bamboo... leaning in that direction too... I have a hard time making a decision! The counters are soapstone.

olychick, very pretty kitchen!!!!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo, thank you. I DO want to keep the vintage cottage feel for sure... I didn't realize 3" blinds where more old fashion. The blinds I was thinking about had the fabric on them.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

Roman shades would be pretty, but if you're not liking the look of shades now, then I don't think you're going to like the look of the Roman Shades when they have to be in the down position a good part of the time.

I'm a fan of blinds and I didn't realize 3" blinds were available! I have 2 1/2" blinds in a few rooms of my house and love them. Since you like the view, yet need privacy, I think you'd enjoy having the blinds. I also like shutters, but only on large windows. It a personal thing, but I don't like how they make a window, and the view, smaller.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Lovely shots of your kitchen. I understand your dilemma, as I'm torn between no window coverings vs "something". Are you putting a table in front of the window seat?

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

I like the look of bamboo blinds.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo blinds in white kitchen

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I think either would work, but I think some fabric would really look great in there. I use roman shades in our sunroom, but they are generally only pulled down a certain distance. Most of the time they are about 1/4 - 1/3 pulled down and in the worst of the summer I occasionally pull them down 1/2 of the way or a little further - I never completely close them. If you wanted to use roman shades and keep them stationary (kind of like a valance), you could hide the roller shades underneath and pull them down when you actually need the windows covered.

Lovely kitchen!

tina

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I vote for the valances, too! I like the cafe curtains, for some privacy and you can always put blinds behind them if you need even more privacy, at night.

You have such a pretty kitchen, but with lots of hard surfaces. Some fabrics would bring in color, pattern and make everything feel just a bit softer. Valances, cafe curtains, throw rugs (with non-skid underneath) cushions, maybe a table cloth...this will give you a true cottage feel, IMHO :)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, all this has been food for thought!

Today I went to Lowes and purchased an in stock bamboo blind, DH hated it, and I didn't get a warm feeling about it either - in MY kitchen. I LOVE the look in other kitchens, and had it high on my list, but they didn't feel right... so crossing them off.

Shutters, I decided long ago, not to use them in this house. I always, always wanted them.. and finally bought them in our last house, but for this house, I just don't feel them working.

Cafe curtains.. played around with that, liked them over the kitchen window, but it ruins the whole view out the bay window, and I thought about all the dirty water splashes.

Roman Shades... this morning I thought I would go this route, but someone mentioned them being down a lot, and I suppose that is the same with roller shades, so it would probable be almost the same look, less expensive to use valances with shades.

lavender, I am thinking of valances now - or wood blinds are still on the list. Wood Blinds are ideal function wise to me. It provides privacy, allows light in and a view, plus living in FL - it would provide some heat reduction while letting the view outside still be seen... but I'm still not sure of the look, so I photoshopped both the blinds and the valances

From Drop Box
    From Drop Box

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Would you consider using solid shutters? I think they are a bit more formal and you could have them match your beautiful cabinets. I am hoping to use them in my DR if I can work them in with wainscoting. Something like this but without the inside trim.

• luv2look
    12 years ago

How about wooden blinds with valances? I think it would give you the best of both worlds, as the valances look nice but give you zero privacy.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I love Romans but if the shades aren't working for you then my vote is for wooden blinds.

Shutters are beautiful but in my experience they block too much light.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Valances, valences, valences!!! Those look beautiful :)

And I agree with Luv2look...you can always put some blinds behind the valances, for more privacy.

For the bay window, I like the same thing...valances with blinds. Very pretty, very cottage-y, and perfect in your space, IMHO!

• fillagirl
    12 years ago

I think you can do a faux roman shade that functions as a valance...maybe too modern looking for the kitchen, but just thought I'd throw it out there...

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for all your help and suggestions!

caminnc, I think the solid inside shutters could work in certain homes, but I can't picture them here, and the cabinets are right up to the window.. so impossible in this case. I'll look forward to seeing your dining room when finished!

Fillagirl, thought about that.. but think a valance would do the same thing, for less $$!

juddgirl, I love the Roman Blinds too... hard choice, and if I go with blinds + valance, I still may use the roman blinds in another room (living room) I think this room and the sunroom are the two least private rooms, where I feel like I'm on TV!

It's the weekend, so I will continue to think and think some more!

• jmc01
    12 years ago

Our kitchen sink window is 16' from our next door neighr's kitchen sink window. neither of us have window treatments and we frequently wave at each other during dish duty, hand signal each other when it's time to speak by phone. It's become a joke between our households!

Neither family struts around in birthday suits and both of our first floors are 6' off the ground.

No window coverings works for us, but if I had to have something, I'd go with a flat linen cafe-style curtain, or a linen shade that pulls up and can stop at the 3/4 point.

• natal
    12 years ago

The problem with shutters in a kitchen is they add to the wood overload.

I chose woven woods for the kitchen window and adjacent keeping room. They offer a degree of privacy (I didn't get them lined), while still providing an airy view.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Don't know if sun is a problem for you. In my house it is - we have windows everywhere and get a lot of sun. I went with blinds and even though I love all the shades out there, they just wouldn't work for us. I can close the blinds at night for total privacy and adjust them during the day to see out while the neighbors can't see in.

• jillandmatt
    12 years ago

I am having the same dilemma... can't figure out what to put on my windows and have been living with sheets up for 3 months! Our kitchen is similar to your's. Today at Lowes I saw a custom Roman shade by Allen and Roth that looks like a cross between fabric and a natural shade. Kind of looks like this (cut and paste link)- https://www.houzz.com/photos/pearsons-room-traditional-nursery-dallas-phvw-vp~102898-s-Room-traditional-kids-dallas
    I think something like that would be pretty in your kitchen.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I don't care for Roman shades. I think a vintage kitchen like yours would look good with wood blinds, especially if you can find big wide ones. I love my wood plantation shutters because if I leave them slightly tilted people cannot see in, but sunlight still streams in. Blinds have the additional perq of being able to be raised or lowered to cover just a portion of the window. Curtains would look sweet too, but they have to stay fully closed, and I don't know how sheer fabric would look in a kitchen.

Your kitchen is gorgeous.

Renee

• marcolo
    12 years ago

tinker, try Photoshopping the white blinds and fabric valances together. That's the way I remember old kitchens looking when I was a kid, before they became "vintage," and I have them now in my pre-reno kitchen to test out the look. People really like them.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jillandmatt, it IS hard deciding.. and I did look at the Allen & Roth at Lowes, they are very nice!!!

I have however ORDERED BLINDS!! After much, much thought.. I feel that the blinds are going to offer us the best of everything. I can pull them all the way up, and have open windows if I decide, but for the very reason hosenemesis has posted, was my deciding factor. I know I can tilt them, still have privacy - yet light. I ordered them last week... 2" blinds. Just got notice they are on backorder.. and now I wonder if I should have looked at 2-1/2 inch blinds!!!!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I like Marcolo's suggestion of trying the blinds with the valance, but hang the valance higher. It will make your windows appear larger, just make sure they hang down enough that the bottom covers the blind, when they're pulled all the way up. Congrats on making another design decision :)

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Probably you should invite me down and we can noodle this window covering problem through together in person! Ha! Love your house! It's so nice to see pictures of it again!

• enailes
    12 years ago

I have white/cream colored wood blinds in all my windows. I love the look of shutters but too thought they would block the lite and ordered the blinds before I had made up my mind. When I want the look of shutters, I will open the blinds in a full horizontal position, and using the middle of the window, where the upper one meets the lower, will manually close the open blind on the bottom half and leave the top half still opened horizontally. It gives the window a shuttered look and during the day I can have privacy, light and the look of shutters. Also, my windows are paned

• polly929
    12 years ago

I haven't read all the responses, but if you did the cafe curtains, couldn't you just leave the roller shades up behind them and pull them down for privacy? I have a decorative valance in my kitchen, with a cheap roller shade behind that I pull down when the glare from the sun setting is too much to bear. Most people never see it.

But if I were to vote from your choices I would do Roman Shades in that kitchen.

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Tinker, post some pictures when you get your blinds installed. BTW, I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kitchen, well, in fact, your whole house, and do so enjoy seeing photos of it! Can not wait to see more of the kitchen, and do hope that sometime you get a pretty cushion for that gorgeous bay window seat in the kitchen.

• polly929
    12 years ago

Serves me right for not reading all the responses, I see you ordered the blinds.

Anyhow congrats on the new grandbaby, and my oh my are you a young grandma!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Just want to call out lavender's post--that's what I meant. Add curtain valances mounted on the wall above the window, so the bottom obscures only the top few inches of the glazing. The blinds give you privacy and light control and the valances will give you a soft vintage look.

• athomeinvagw
    12 years ago

Have you seen how clunky raised wood blinds look? And in addition the strings that hang all over the place are a mess. Your kitchen is beautiful and has a great vintage vibe but wood blinds will push it more towards transitional. Cafe curtains would really look nice and would make the bay window fit in more with the older style of the other windows that are in the kitchen. Plus you need to do outside mount wood blinds on the bay due to the crank style windows so it infringes on the seating area.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I love wood blinds! They're classic, IMO. If you don't like the look when they're fully raised, either leave them down but open, or as mentioned above, add a little valance to hide them. Your kitchen is gorgeous, BTW! Enjoy!!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo, that's the plan!!

athomeinva, they can look chunky pulled up, but on these small window... not so much! Wood blinds are definitely classic and period appropriate!

thanks everyone.. all the responses have been very, very helpful! We have been living in the house for over a month now, and living here is what really finalized my choice. I see I need some light control as well as privacy - yet I do want to be able to pull them up - if I desire (I may not even feel I need to).

I usually sacrifice function over looks... but in this case, I am picking function over what I desired for looks! I'll post pictures when blinds go up!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Tinker,

I love your new 2" inch blinds. Are they painted wood?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Tinker,
    Are your blinds in yet? I'd love to see them and think many others would too.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

HI Breezygirl:

Here is the link to the newer post with Tinker's pictures of installed blinds.
    They looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's installed blinds

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Here is the reveal of Tinker's new shades -- they look great!

{{!gwi}}

• malhgold
    12 years ago

lucie22 - wondering if you wound up purchasing something from Tonic Living? I went on their website and the fabrics are great! Thinking of getting roman shades from them. Thanks!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've been MIA here.. painting away and finally - the house is starting to really shape up! I still have to tackle decorating - so much to do!!

Anyway.... I posted the finished blinds on another thread..
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg031640064985.html

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Francoise--thank you for the link and pic.

Tinker--windows look great!! I'm starting to think about WTs for my new kitchen and wanted to see what you did. Yours look perfect for your beautiful space. Thanks!