Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threegraces

Show me your paint colors w/stained woodwork

threegraces
14 years ago

The upper level of our house was restored about 10 years ago using maple woodwork. Maple crown, built-ins, refurbished floors - all unpainted. While I'm not all that keen on the orangey finish they chose, the quality and the grain is beautiful and I don't plan to paint over it.

But all I ever see (and am drawn to) is white, white, white woodwork! I like white woodwork and the previous owners did paint some of it white downstairs, but none of the bedrooms have it. It's so hard to find color inspiration in rooms without white woodwork.

So please, show me your rooms, esp. bedrooms, with WOODwork.

Comments (5)

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I am looking for the same thing, frankly. I had PLANNED on painting every single stitch of stained woodwork in our 'new' 60's ranch. But am rethinking this as well. I did, however paint the woodwork in our rehabbed kitchen and family room, and am not disappointed. We also have a more orangy finish on our stain too. I will say that with the 'orangy' beams in our family room, which we intended to paint too, we decided to just darken the stain to an ebony color and it looks great. All we did was wipe it on, no prep work at all. So you might want to considertrying that in one room since I DO understand that that color can date a room.
    Also I have seen some rooms where they paint the trim/casing around the windows but kept the actual windows and mullions dark wood. Wish I could find those photos now.
    So, in conclusion, I feel your pain lol
    And also would like to see some rooms with stained trim.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Caveat - not all the woodwork is finished, but it is pine stained Minwax Honey Maple so may help.

These Antique Jade walls show blue online but are very nice in person with the maple woodwork

1 shade lighter - Thornton Sage again looks blue with flash but nice in person

MBR in Horizon - looks blue-gray on the card, it's really blue, I don't care for it in this room but again looks nice with maple. Please excuse the mess (boxes)

Looks nicer in DS's room with blue carpet.

Another blue - White Satin

Can't really see it here but intense Summer blue also works well

While blues and greens tend to work well with orange wood, this off white does too (IMHO)

DD's BR Navajo White

as is FR/kitchen

You can tell the house is a work in progress - some of the colors may not reproduce well here, but hopefully I've given you some ideas. All colors are Ben Moore.

HTH

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Almost any shade of green looks good with stained wood. If you don't care for the shade, but don't want to hide the wood, why not consider darkening it?

Red

• cathrugg
    14 years ago

I have the orangy-oak trim, doors, windows, etc. all through my house. I wish, wish it was white but there is way too much to ever paint. And I love colored paint, esp. bold deep colors. Some people might not like it but I did the best I could with my options.

SW Blonde---before we swapped out hardware and added the plate covers back on. It was a beautiful color in the sunlight.

RL Kilim Red--very very bold. Our bedroom is painted this color too and it's very dramatic.

This is a Behr color---Olive something; it looks really bright here but I think it was the flash. It's one of my favorite colors with the oak trim.

• angiestravel_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I am so confused on what color or colors to pick for my
    Kitchen and family room.
    I have always like white, but I think I need some color.
    I found the SW Blonde for the kitchen in one of your pictures,
    and that was beautiful! Please send me any pictures with
    beige colors lite and dark. Evan the antiquing colors of beige are nice too??