Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echobelly

Ceiling color?

echobelly
10 years ago

I'm obsessing over color in the house we just bought. All the walls will be a creamy white. It's the same white I've used in my current house, and love it. I've painted the ceilings the same color here. I'm thinking maybe I should paint them a bright white, or what's called ceiling white, a slightly grey color. I want the ceiling to appear higher and disappear. The ceilings are about 8' or 9'. Then I start thinking I should paint them glossy to reflect more light (I love bright rooms). What are your thoughts on this? I'm afraid I might end up painting the ceiling a few times, but at least I've settled on a wall color.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I've often thought the color "ceiling white" should be banned. It's really not an attractive white, IMHO. It does have an edge of gray which I suppose is fine if gray is part of the overall color plan. But in most cases the ceiling gray doesn't relate to the wall color or the rest of the room for that matter.

The same color on the ceiling as the wall is a good color strategy. The best way to get a 'lift' on the ceiling is to eliminate lines of contrast. One consistent color wall to ceiling is one way to do just that.

As far as gloss, many people think a gloss finish helps to reflect and distribute light throughout a space. It really doesn't. A gloss finish on a ceiling or a wall isn't smooth nor shiny enough to act as a reflector and actually bounce light around a room.

The shiny spots your see from a gloss finish is exactly that - a shiny spot. Spots of glare that don't contribute to the quantity of light.

Glossy finishes can look super cool though. As long as the proper prep is done because gloss will enhance even the tiniest bump and imperfection.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

funcolors knows more about colors than anyone I know. I agree with her about the color, ceiling white. I always wondered, if because sheetrock was grey, if they made ceiling paint with an edge of grey so it would take less primer. ;-) Contractor savings.

• echobelly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much funcolors! That makes perfect sense, I'm off to the paint store and will paint walls and ceiling the same white. That makes everything so much easier, too, no edging!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Funcolors, I want to thank you again for suggesting BM sparkling wine to paint my kitchen cabs. Yesterday I repainted them after four years of wear and tear and I still love the shade.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

All the walls in my house are the same color (SW Antique White), except my MBedroom and bath. We started painting in the spare bedroom and office and I chickened out and went with Swiss Coffee on the ceilings. It's not bad, but it's a white ceiling. All ceilings 9 ft.

Because my living room is vaulted and the rest of the house flows together, there would have been awkward start/stop for the white ceiling, so I had the ceilings also painted Antique White. I'm so glad I did.

While a white ceiling might theoretically raise it, the same color as the walls makes it disappear, so you're not going, ah, there's the ceiling painted a different color.

Light throughout the day does weird things anyway, sometimes making the ceilings seem lighter or darker. If I didn't do the same color as the walls, I'd consider a 50% of the walls.