Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice5_gw

Fluorescent tube lighting in kitchen

Janice5
11 years ago

I have the dreaded fluorescent tubes lighting my kitchen.
I have 8' ceilings and no island under the light fixture.
I would love to replace it but have not had any luck finding a flush mount fixture that would come close to creating enough light.
Can anyone point me to a reasonably priced flush mount that can provide a good amount of light for my kitchen?

Comments (8)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

We had several of those in our kitchen/keeping room when we moved in. We had the fixtures removed, the ceiling patched, and can lights installed. No comparison. We also have 8' ceilings.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

You might need more than one ceiling fixture. How large is your kitchen? Is it modern or traditional?

• Janice5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have a u shaped kitchen separated from the eating area by a peninsula.
    The working area, where the fluorescent lighting is, is about 14' x 14'.
    How many can lights do you think we would need?
    My kitchen is more traditional than modern.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

We took out the tube flourescent and put in a CFL fixture of similar wattage. I had to repaint the ceiling in that area, but that was it.

Our kitchen is 15 square feet. We also have a hanging fixture over the table, then task lighting in pendants over the sink, and then in the range hood.

I am not a fan of can lighting, but based on what your kitchen may look like, that might work for you.

• dawn_t
    11 years ago

I'm not a designer, by a long shot, but I did DIY my kitchen which is 12 x 14.
    It has 8 ft ceilings (no island) and a peninsula (no overhead cabs).
    What I did for lighting, was a centered semi-flush mount fixture, with 2 matching pendants over the peninsula, a 3-light matching chandy over the sink and finally, the co-ordinating 5 light chandy over the breakfast nook (next to peninsula).

It's good lighting for me, but what really puts it over the top is under cabinet task lightng (T-5's).

Just thought I'd share :)

Dawn

• badgergal
    11 years ago

In our previous 10 x11u-shaped kitchen we removed the large fluorescent box installed four 6 inch cans in the ceiling. The peninsula dividing the kitchen and eating area had upper cabinets and the sink was located there. We also added a small can over the sink. It was installed inside the short cabinet above the sink and a whole was cut into the bottom of the cabinet for the light. We felt we had more than enough general lighting.
    Now that I have under cabinet lights in my new kitchen, I realize how great it is to have that too.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

We have those, and we are planning to replace with CFL track lighting. Look for electronic ballasts for instant-on.

• gardenpea_gw
    11 years ago

We replaced ours with a semi-flush mount that holds three 100-watt equivalent CFL lights. We put a pendant over the sink. With those and under-cabs, we have plenty of light.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES