Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fluorescent tube lighting in kitchen

Posted by janice5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 17:06

I have the dreaded fluorescent tubes lighting my kitchen.
I have 8' ceilings and no island under the light fixture.
I would love to replace it but have not had any luck finding a flush mount fixture that would come close to creating enough light.
Can anyone point me to a reasonably priced flush mount that can provide a good amount of light for my kitchen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fluorescent tube lighting in kitchen

We had several of those in our kitchen/keeping room when we moved in. We had the fixtures removed, the ceiling patched, and can lights installed. No comparison. We also have 8' ceilings.

o

You might need more than one ceiling fixture. How large is your kitchen? Is it modern or traditional?

o

We have a u shaped kitchen separated from the eating area by a peninsula.
The working area, where the fluorescent lighting is, is about 14' x 14'.
How many can lights do you think we would need?
My kitchen is more traditional than modern.

o

We took out the tube flourescent and put in a CFL fixture of similar wattage. I had to repaint the ceiling in that area, but that was it.

Our kitchen is 15 square feet. We also have a hanging fixture over the table, then task lighting in pendants over the sink, and then in the range hood.

I am not a fan of can lighting, but based on what your kitchen may look like, that might work for you.

o

I'm not a designer, by a long shot, but I did DIY my kitchen which is 12 x 14.
It has 8 ft ceilings (no island) and a peninsula (no overhead cabs).
What I did for lighting, was a centered semi-flush mount fixture, with 2 matching pendants over the peninsula, a 3-light matching chandy over the sink and finally, the co-ordinating 5 light chandy over the breakfast nook (next to peninsula).

It's good lighting for me, but what really puts it over the top is under cabinet task lightng (T-5's).

Just thought I'd share :)

Dawn

o

In our previous 10 x11u-shaped kitchen we removed the large fluorescent box installed four 6 inch cans in the ceiling. The peninsula dividing the kitchen and eating area had upper cabinets and the sink was located there. We also added a small can over the sink. It was installed inside the short cabinet above the sink and a whole was cut into the bottom of the cabinet for the light. We felt we had more than enough general lighting.
Now that I have under cabinet lights in my new kitchen, I realize how great it is to have that too.

o

We have those, and we are planning to replace with CFL track lighting. Look for electronic ballasts for instant-on.

o

We replaced ours with a semi-flush mount that holds three 100-watt equivalent CFL lights. We put a pendant over the sink. With those and under-cabs, we have plenty of light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here