Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

'Ballardized' Chest Whatcha Think?

rjinga
14 years ago

well, it's on it's way to being there.

too much, not enough? be honest now (of course the poly needs to go on and then knobs of course (I'll be back on that one to ask opinions). Do I need to do any rubbing off on the sides, or is it supposed to be ONLY the edges? I will also be doing some paint touch ups too on the drawer fronts.

OH YA and one more thing, the skirt that is at the bottom wraps all the way around, so I painted it all the way around, but when I did, then the back which normally would not be painted (right?) looked kinda funny. Should I paint the back side?

BEFORE:

TA DA:

What's interesting in the first picture, there are big gaps between the drawers, but that is not noticeable IRL. I wonder why. maybe the angle of the camera?

Comments (58)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Hey it's looking great!not sure about the white knobs yet, maybe instead of the white glass knobs you can buy some cheapie wooden knobs and paint and age them.
    You can use the glass knobs for another project.
    very exciting. I want it!!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

What about wooden English knobs are bin pulls (although they might be too big, depending on each drawer section).

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

How about using the fleur de lis knobs running down the center? Can you get more? The fleur de lis in the middle of each drawer flanked by the whiet knobs on either side. That would make them look more like an accent and less like you just lost a few knobs.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Oooh, yes, if you can get more I like linnea's idea!

• User
    14 years ago

Rhonda, have you tried to find matching replacement knobs? Mixing the knobs just doesn't work for me. No matter how you do it it will say oops it's not worth the price. It looks as though there are only two missing. Did you check ebay?
    If you can't find them I'd check Hobby Lobby's craft department wood. They used to have bags with small wood knobs which will go on sale for half price quite often. I'd stain them using the shoe polish in brown and then rub a bit of black shoe polish on them to give them a dirtied over the years look.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Love how it's turning out. Like the white knobs, actually. You might even try hitting them with a bit of the stain/shoe polish to age them a bit.

I lovelovelove FDL, but not on that chest. Maybe just one in the center, if you've got enough of the white knobs. 3 is just too much.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    14 years ago

That wasn't actually an antique was it?

• User
    14 years ago

I would distress some more as others have said.

I don't care for the knobs mixed even though I adore the FDL. (Have those same ones on my laundry room cabinets.)

I would either do the white you have, wood to match, or crystal type ones.

Looks really good!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well I'm not 100% sure of it's age. I do know whether for my own use or to resell, It would have required refurbishing. Are you concerned about painting it if it was an antique?

• ctlane
    14 years ago

I agree with getting inexpensive wooden knobs and painting them black and distressing them, I don't really like the white or the FDL knobs on that chest now that it is looking so great in black.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I love that patina mimicking worn finish, ballard didn't invent that one, but I guess it's new for some people who've only seen it there.

I think your chest looks wonderful, I would definitely put matching knobs
    to enhance it, the mixing up with the fleur de lys looks odd, imo.......

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I don't care for the FDL or the white knobs. The white seem too stark for the great aged black finish and the FDL don't really fit the style of the chest. Too me it feels like a shaker inspired chest and the matching wooden knobs either in the same black finish or a dark brown 'shoe polish finish' seem more appropriate. Great transformation, btw!

• dabunch
    14 years ago

WOW! Great job on the entire project!

I love the knobs.
    May I ask where you got them?
    They look antique.
    I bought a cabinet with those knobs and am looking to match other cabinets with those type of knobs.

My cabinet is antiqued black like yours. The white knobs look great in person.

• fivefootzero
    14 years ago

I like the FDL knobs, but can see they'd be overkill. What about cut glass knobs? I know they even sell them in Target now. You can get clear ones or colored ones as well.

Can I ask what paint you used? I have a plate rack that is stained, but I would love to paint it black and distress it.

• teacats
    14 years ago

I would like to see hammered black iron knobs on the chest. Simple but in keeping with the feel of the decoration.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Re: coining the term "ballardized" I had never heard that before my earlier post on the same topic.

The FDL knobs are from Hobby Lobby, $1.99 and of course $1.00 when they have 1/2 off sales. I really love them too. I did find some unfinished birch ones at Hobby Lobby in packs of 16 for $2.99, so that's perfect. they are 1 inch. I'm going to check them out today.

If you are referring to the white knobs, they came with the piece, and I have no idea where they were purchased. they could be as old as the chest for all I know.

I will still play around some with the combo and see how they look, sometimes IRL, they look different/better/worse and I'm a very visual spacial kind of person.

Here's a follow up pic after a bit more sanding and the lower 2 drawers with "cordovan" didn't have brown, shoe polish. since I still need to put on the poly, will the wax in the polish interfere with it's coverage? I will move drawers around to find the best configuration as far as the rubbed off areas go, so that it looks more realistic.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be honest, I dont like the way the shoe polish looks at all. It only actually looks decent if its reapplied. So what can I use to take it off? I will get some stain out and try that instead.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

It may be the 'red'of the cordovan that you don't like. I would try a dark brown. I kinda like the look it adds as opposed to the bare wood.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Do paint the back--in case someone wants to use it freestanding. I liked the white knobs, but plain turned wooden ones might be easier.

The Ballardizing looks great! I think it's got broad appeal, as it can work with a number of different styles--much more versatile than painting something pastel.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Looking good, Rhonda! I've done a lot of black pieces w/ rubbed off edges, and used Fromby's Tung Oil as a final finish. You can apply it with a cloth, so don't have brush strokes~I usually apply 3-4 coats to get the look I want. I like the look of the 'fleurs'.

For some reason black furniture doesn't sell well at the antique mall i'm in, but the white cottage does quite well. I think it's just a 'TX thing'. Let me know how quickly it sells. ;o)

• User
    14 years ago

I agree it's the red in the cordovan that isn't working. I cringed when I read you used it instead of a brown.
    Patty Cakes idea of a tung oil finish is a good one too. I used to only use Tung Oil, but somehow it got lost when we moved once and I was heart broken since you can no longer buy pure Tung Oil. Make sure you get a satin finish though.

• teacats
    14 years ago

justgotabeme:
    ah! Yes -- I have Ballardized my tiny kitchen island (a mere 24 inches square LOL!) and my kitchen bar stools.

Used spray paint (many light coats) and then sanded off edges -- and simply rubbed dark brown shoe polish into the exposed edges.

Didn't know about GI -- whats NING?

Jan at rosemary Cottage

• User
    14 years ago

Ah, I do think I remember that now. I never thought about your kitchen.
    NING is a place for groups like MSN was. SalsaRose found it for us when YUKU and Groupbox didn't work out after MSN closed. If you'd like to join it just email through Garden Web and I'll send you a link.
    I was DesigningMom/Becky at MSN GI.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok did not get the brown polish yet, will work on that today. But I did get some wood knobs at HLobby, they are called ball knobs, not sure they will work, but they could! And I do hope they will as they are the most economical way to go by far. The camera seems to make them appear bigger, they are only 1 1/4 inch. I picked up the 1 inch size but it looks too small, like it doesn't stick out enough to be a functional pull/knob.

Will they work (painted/distressed of course)

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

14 years ago

I hate to say it, butÂthe knobs are both too big and the wrong style for the chest. Too modern. Too juvenile: like for kidÂs furniture. I think they cheapen the look, and would affect the price you can get. If you are sure you want wood, you need more of a flat style.

Here the local hardware stores plus Target sell "basic" knobs in sets of 12 that are pretty cheap, not like buying them by the piece. Have you tried online like Lee Valley and Rockler too? They cater to woodworkers so might have the right thing. They have a LOT of vintage style for people restoring furniture too.

I also hate to say itÂyou wonÂt be able to polyurethane over the shoe polish. The wax will resist most finishes applied over it. YouÂll have to remove it. IÂve never tried to do that, so donÂt really know how. Maybe mineral spirits.
    The finishes that are designed to soak in wonÂt, because the paint will prevent that. IÂm not sure about the "Tung oil." Most commercial "Tung oil" finishes have no actual tung oil in them. They are just diluted varnish and oil that can be wiped on rather than brushed. ItÂs become just a marketing name for a wiping finish. Maybe ask that part on the woodworking forum.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I'm not so sure about those ball knobs. Didn't they have plain flat wooden ones? The link isn't a place to buy them, just a visual reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ideefixe, that is the type I had in mind when I went to Hlobby, but they did not have this kind. I haven't looked at Target. I did find some on ebay that will work 1" or 1 1/4" wooden unfinished ones, good price too. I'll probably go look again around before buying them on ebay, just since I can get them done quicker if I find them locally.

I guess I see the "modern" appearance, but they really dont look that bad. and I've taken a pic with the smaller ones.
    {{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Wooden ones would look better. Even the original ones were better I just don't like the balls.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I agree about those balls. If you had to do the balls, I'd do the smaller ones, but I'd still look for something more flat...and I think the appeal of the original knobs is the screw in the center. That gives it more of a vintage feel.

So if you could find some flatter knobs and add a small screw to them (after ballardizing them) it'd go for it.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Wow! Great job! It's gorgeous! I wouldn't be able to tell it was a DIY. Way to go!

• User
    14 years ago

Rhonda, the smaller (one inch) knobs are the correct size for this cute unit. I think that was more of what wasn't looking right than the shape, though if you can find the standard wooden knobs in one inch I'd use them. It's just going to look so cute you will want to keep it! LOL

14 years ago

ItÂs been fun watching your project! (Maybe it will light the fire under me to finish my ownÂ)

Just saw this morningÂI have the Van Dykes restorers catalog. They have some wood knobs on sale, with the flatter profile. Page stated that there are more on the website. Check out www.vandykes.com, search for "wooden knobs". They also have a white porcelain knob for 99 cents. Not with the screw in the middle, but if you/ everyone really like the white, that could be an option. (they have a neat white with a screw, though thatÂs more money. ItÂs hexagonal shape, though, which would still require replacing all the knobs).

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I've seen the white knobs with the screws in the middle at Ace and at HD - cheap!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ordered one inch wood knobs (flat mushroom like ones) on ebay for a great price.

Hoping to have them in the next day or so and will get that chest finished and into my booth.

• carebear3117
    14 years ago

Justgotabme,
    I thought I would chime in an let you know that tung oil can be purchased at Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20049&cat=1,190,42942

Carrie

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks Carrie! YIKES the price has certainly gone up. But then I guess it's not that bad since I bought mine over thirty years ago! ha ha ha.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found 100% pure tung oil at a local hardware store for $18 and change, it was a decent sized can, larger than the typical small cans of varnish remover etc. didn't notice how many ounces it was. I purchased the Fromsby's at Lowes (small can) for like $8...but it didn't say 100%. I have a cedar wardrobe that I am working on next and thought I'd try it on there too.

• rubyslipperz
    14 years ago

Coming out of lurkdom.

Just a few questions. How much $$ would you be expecting to ask for this chest?

What is the condition of the inside of the drawers? It is hard to see from your pics, but appear a bit dusty?

Not sure what "Ballardizing" is. I do receive a Ballard's catalog. Is that the reference?

Don't care for the ball knobs. They are not in keeping with the style of this chest and appear a bit too big for the drawer size.

Thanks for fielding my questions.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Hi Rhonda. Looks like you'll have the little chest ready for the weekend~I like the idea of flatter knobs, also. I've never liked the ball type cause they seem more modern/contemporary to me, and modern I ain't!

Let me know what you think of the Tung oil. ;o)

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ruby, the pictures were taken just after some of the preliminary sanding was done, more to get feedback before I went to far or sanded too much, so indeed the drawers were dusty, I have since wiped them down with a tack cloth in preparation for continuing with the "aged" wood technique with the shoe polish, the correct color this time and then paint touch ups and ultimately the tung oil finish.

The drawers are all in great shape inside and out, I may line them with some great "french/paris" inspired paper with pink, black and browns in it.

I would expect to sell this chest in the $150 range. I will confirm this before pricing it with other dealers who would be able to access it better in person, but per the other dealers and the mall owner, this is a very popular type of furniture and the painted (black or white furniture) does sell very quickly. I have sold about everything I have put in my booth within a week or so.

Ballardized is a term that I copied from justgottabme, who offered the suggestion of this particular painting treatment as an idea/option for this chest. and yes, it's imitating the furniture sold by ballard. I have also seen a lot of this furniture (the painted black, and rubbed off to expose the wood which is then aged) at Hobby Lobby.

I have ditched the ball knobs and have the others ordered. I dont know if I will get lucky and get them by the weekend, to get the chest into my booth. but soon. I just did a major change up of my booth, removed a big cubby/cabinet and put up doors as walls to surround the space. This will free up space for more furniture and give me walls to hang things on (my space has been completely without this ability til now)

It has been rainy and cold here for the past week, so my finishing work has been halted, since I dont want to do it inside my kitchen!!

Very excited to try the tung oil, I spoke to a very experienced wood worker who really endorsed the tung oil, but also said that boiled linseed oil gives an equally nice finish. Might be worth trying on the future projects.

I'll get pictures of the "finished" product just as soon as I can.

I would also welcome any pricing suggestions, although I am aware that regional differences would most likely apply. I'd still love to hear what you might expect to see a chest like this one sell for in your area.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh I am so going to have to look for pure tung oil in the stores again. Yippee! I was just thrilled to be able to order it online. I love the stuff.

• rubyslipperz
    14 years ago

Rjinga, Thank you so much for your quick reply to my barrage of questions.

I do meet with my girlfriends for a weekly lunch. One of the places we meet is located in a historical town with the main street home to several antique shops. There are also two antique "malls" comprised of several sellers who do not have shops of their own and some sellers who have a brick and mortar shop in another location.

I was looking to get an idea of what you would ask for your piece. New to antiquing, I am very interested in looking at things, but have not actually purchased any case goods.

Unfortunately our weekly luncheon has been cancelled today. Hopefully, I will get a chance next week to look around after our luncheon.

I think you have done a great job with the piece. It seems as though the painted furniture is all the rage at the moment? Have you decided which knobs you will be using?

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ruby, be careful, it's addicting... just ask my DH, and if I were not so ashamed ;) I'd take a picture of my garage and prove just how addicting it can be. I have found some really great pieces, for REALLY great prices and it seems like there is something new to be had out there EVERY day...I've put myself on a (temporary?) spening/buying freeze, nothing more is coming into my house/garage until I finish and sell the pieces I have. (that is right after I pull out the darling little vanity and great mirror I got today for $25!!! DONT TELL.

So with help from the creative minds here, and some epxerimenting, I'm very happy with how they have all turned out so far. Most pieces that I have finished, I have already sold, I am one of those sellers renting space in someone else's shop. I know there are a few others on here who do the same thing.

I have purchased wooded 1 inch knobs on Ebay, hoping to get them by saturday! maybe even tomorrow.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some updates :) due to the snow and then the holiday today, my ebay knobs have still not arrived, I expect them tomorrow for sure, as I know they have arrived (on saturday) in Macon.

I have finished the chest with tung oil, love it!! The pictures emphasizes some smudges, but they are not at all visable IRL. might be a shadow? And the brown polish looks great too. I will take a less close up pic of it with the knobs when they are on, for the full effect!!

I have also lined the drawers with this great paper, which I love too, this is why I had the fleur de lis knobs on my mind ;)

I have one small problem as it turns out. Pre-painting, I noticed some small gaps in the cabinet, so I got out my little hammer and tightened her up...and guess what now? THE DRAWERS DO NOT ALL FIT...so, I'm going to have to carefully undo as best as I can.

I'll work on the knobs tomorrow and hopefully by the end of the day, it will be ready to go. I sold my cute little shabby, english rose fabric ice cream parlor chairs and the bench (as a set :) and it's being picked up from my newest booth tomorrow, and that will leave me a few nice sized openings over there. I have got to get busy and wrap some of these other projects up to get them in over there. I also have finished the french provincial style, marble topped end tables, and they are really great too. YIPPEE, I'm having a ball with this stuff.

• pmacbee
    14 years ago

Oh, I love the paper! I'm hoping to transform a drab 40s dresser with a finish much like the one you've just done or your cabinet, for a guest room that has a black and white French influenced bath. I would love to use this paper when I'm done. Would you mind saying where it came from? I think you've done an amazing job on this cabinet. where did you learn your rubbing off technique? I've never done it, but am hauling the chest out of storage to start sanding the old finish this week.

BTW, Allison, thanks so much for the link to your cupboard. I was looking for a black paint recommendation, and your Farrow and Ball paint looks wonderfully rich and soft!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well ladies, she finally sold a few weeks ago...I had priced it at $195 and had a good bit of interest, but no buyers, I lowered the price to $165 and the very next day, I got an offer on it for $150 so I took it. It's really about where I expected it to sell, but they always say you can always go down, but you cant go up. (they must not see me when I go back in when something has not sold and make a new ticket for it, upping the price, sometimes I think people think it's no good if it's priced too low, weird but true).

• angiedfw
    14 years ago

Did you ever take a final picture? I'd love to see how it turned out!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here is a picture of it in my booth

{{!gwi}}

It's the angle I took the picture, but the top drawer does not show a gap IRL..not sure why that looks like that.

• leafy02
    14 years ago

Looks great! Very inspiring to see the start to finish.

• crashboombang
    14 years ago

This is slightly OT, but I saw you mentioned it twice, and since I know more about taking pictures than refinishing furniture I thought I'd chime in :-).....I think you're seeing those gaps in the drawers because of your camera's flash. The flash lights the chest in a way that is more exaggerated and direct light compared to the actual light in the room, and some of it is caught by the lighter wood at the inside back of the chest and lights it in a way that is exaggerated to what you see IRL, and makes it stand out in the picture. Nice job on the chest - and the sale!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!