Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remanu

Exterior Paint Color Ideas

remanu
10 years ago

I recently purchased a house and has, what I think is an ugly yellow color. Do you have any ideas of what other colors I can paint this house? Please note the roof color. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Comments (24)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Is it stucco?I think I'd paint it white and paint the railing black to match the gate. Paint the shutters and window grids black. Paint the door a bright color, maybe a blue.

Take the railing out that is along the brick path. Put all new plantings in.

• remanu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the exterior is stucco

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Blue door like this would be beautiful on a whit house with black windows and shuttersâ¦or do a richly stained wood shutter. I'd still paint the window grids black.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Paint the body of the house and garage in this great color -- this one will work well with the roof color .... don't forget to paint out the gutter and downspouts too ....

Then paint the shutters and metal trim on the porch in satin black to match the color of the fence ....

.. And yes .... a blue door would look wonderful ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- alexandria beige HC-77

• dirtyshoes
    10 years ago

I could see it painted in a nice rich color in the clay family.

Agree with Tibbrix about painting the ironwork on the front wall black to match the gate. Actually, If the front half wall weren't there, it would really open up the front of the house.

Tibbrix, love the color of the door. Do you know what the name is?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

dirtyshoes, I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the blue. I found the pic on the Web and love the blue. I don't know why people don't give the paint names when they post on the Internet.

• remanu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, for the feedback so far. Do you have any ideas also for landscaping? I was thinking white roses in the bed below the window with shutters and along the front.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The only reason I didn't suggest a color in the clay tones is because it looks like the house next door is painted like that.

Re: Plantings. Where are you? Florida?

• remanu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Southern California

• dirtyshoes
    10 years ago

Remanu,
    With landscaping it depends on what your style is. How carefree do you want your garden to be? Just don't plant anything too close to the house, like I did years ago. I would pull everything out from the front and start with a clean slate.

Tibbrix, I agree, I wish they would give us the color name. I'm looking for that color (or very similar) to paint a cupboard. I'm on a mission :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And keep in mind that, while roses are pretty, they do require maintenance, with can be painful!

No clue about So Cal flora. Those topiary trees are not appealing, IMO. But again, personal tasteâ¦

I'd certainly work on getting the lawn healthy.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Dirtyshoesâ¦it's maddening. That is a really beautiful blue, though. Maybe take your laptop to the hardware store and hold chips up to it? I've always used benjamin moore colors, but I've really liked the Sherwin William colors I've seen people put up here.

• remanu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, getting the lawn healthy is a top priority as well as the paint color of the house and some nice landscaping.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

remanu,

Do you like gardening or would you prefer a relatively maintenance-free garden?

• remanu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think a mixture of the two would be best.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And let's say you do paint it white and have black accents, i.e.: shutters, the railing, window grids. In that blank spot you face as you walk up to the door, putting up some pretty and tiles or some other kind of outdoor artwork might be nice.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Grasses are beautiful in landscaping. You can buy one and break it into three pieces and plant them. Very maintenance free, but the way they move in a breeze is beautiful, and they add some lushness. I'd get a grass that grows no more than five feet tall. You'd have to read up on the care for them in your climate. We have winter here and cut them back @ March.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Um... I don't think it works that way. I think it's an either-or situation. One means maintenance and other is not. Probably best to lean towards no-maintenance.

Take a close look at what neighbors are growing and what is doing well and what appeals to you. Very neighborly to ask new neighbors about them. Also, go to local garden center (not box store) and get some local recommendations for shrubs.

Can you add shutters to the large window on the right. Once those overgrown plants are gone, looks like it may need something.

Here's BM Nova Blue that looks similar to the color of that gorgeous door (hmmm... it did in the other tab... now it looks dark).

or yin yang

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The top blue has a lot more purple in it than the door, and the bottom a lot more gray. It is SO hard to match colors!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

The trees are shrubs,I'm pretty sure. I would cut off the lower poodle puffs and allow it to grow out naturally before removing. They might be fine.
    In so. Ca. White iceberg roses are in bloom almost year round,and pretty easy. Dead head,fertilize and water. You will want evergreen shrubs ; low growing boxwood, perhaps.
    Your little front yard is an exciting blank canvass. Look at landscaping books,
    Especially cottage style. Yours could be charming.
    ( Dang! I want squirrel heaven back!!). Sorry...referring to talented former member.
    Marti

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Call me crazy, but if you squint and use lots of imagination, your house could have this look. There are many elements here you could incorporate . But this look might not be your taste. I love a yellow cottage with blue door.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Awesome!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I would drive around the area and find a house you like, and copy those colors. I think the appropriate exterior color is often driven by your location.

• remanu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback. The picture of that cottage is absolutely great. Would love to have something similar to that at one point. Yes, I have definitely thought about the white iceberg roses.