Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CL $25 brass and glass coffee table turned ottoman!

Posted by my3dogs (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:40

A few weeks ago, I saw this brass and glass coffee table list for $50 on Craigslist. I loved it, but it was too wide for my narrow LR, so I planned to make an ottoman out of it. When I saw the price lowered to $25, I bought it. The yellow circle on the left is a small crack in the glass.

photo CLtablewithcrack_zps077466c0.jpg

I took off the heavy top, set aside for later - maybe a mirror - and cut a piece of pine from Home Depot to fit within the area of the 8 legs/supports. Cut 4" foam to shape, covered it with batting, and last night, I put my fabric on. Today I made the double welt and used upholstery hot glue to attach it and here it is. I love those brass capped legs. Also that the same table, with legs painted blacked is listed on eBay for $1295 with $199 shipping. :-) Link below.

photo CLglassandbrasscoffeetableturnedloveseat0223141_zps4e27ed9f.jpg

photo CLglassandbrasscoffeetableturnedloveseat022314_zps52d725e4.jpg

photo CLglassandbrasscoffeetableturnedottoman0223144_zps9cbf6b7b.jpg

photo CLglassandbrasscoffeetableturnedottoman0223143_zps52cbb96d.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: VINTAGE BAKER STYLE COFFEE TABLE BLACK FAUX BAMBOO BASE REMOVABLE BRASS GLASS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CL $25 brass and glass coffee table turned ottoman!

Absolutely gorgeous. Seeing your projects come to life is one of my very favorite things about GW. Please keep 'em coming!

o

Amazing. Really great, and perfect fabric!

o

Omg, you are amazing, my3dogs! Is there anything you can't do??? Don't answer that, you will be modest and fib!

Gorgeous project and very, very clever!

o

I envy your talents....
Not just the fact that you can do this (and quickly...) but that you had the creativity to see the table as an ottoman.

Just lovely.

o

Great idea! I love it!!

o

Super job.

I especially like the generous depth of the cushion.

And, as one who just spent considerable time looking for a bamboo legged ottoman, I can tell you with authority that they only other way to get one is via Thibaut!

o

WOW. Love it.

o

I love warm colors, and even the fabric was a bargain. Depending on whether you buy it under the Duralee name, where it's called 'Duralee Fabric 42178 225 Asian Henna' you can pay from $34.98 - $38.00 a yard, with 'retail' being $55 - $58 a yard. I did an image search online and found it under the Waverly name as 'Sultan's Robe' on Fabric Guru for $9.95 a yard!

kswl, your dogs may be jealous, but yesterday I re-did an old foot stool that one of my dogs likes to sit on, as if it was his chair. Not that he doesn't sit on the chairs, sofa and wherever he wants. It was originally an old floral with gold legs. Now 'Sammy's stool' looks like this, courtesy of a fabric remnant and ORB spray paint. He likes this version better.

photo Sammysstolre-done0222141_zps51637a96.jpg

photo Sammysstolre-done02221411_zps0350f063.jpg

o

That is so ingenious!
I, too, love seeing your projects. I like your choice of fabric with the bamboo base.

Can you show a picture from underneath? I am having a hard time figuring out how the sheet of pine is secured?

I like the idea of using hot glue on the welting. Makes it look like a sewn cushion that was set in there. Did you use a special glue stick that is made for upholstery? I've used a regular glue stick on welt cord for a small section at the top of a leg.

o

Another wonderful transformation! Great idea and great result.

o

Thank-you, all, very much. There's nothing I enjoy more than turning an inexpensive find into something different. Mtn, I had seen that Thibaut one on their website over a year ago and it stuck in my mind; I loved it. When I saw this, I recalled that one, and here is my version, although I could have made it more the Thibaut style, I just HAD to have those brass topped supports showing.

Laurie, what is great about this, is that the cushion base sits right on top of the outer horizontal supports. It sits in there snugly, as the pine sits on those, and the foam, batting and fabric make it 'pressure fitted' and you just have to pull up the 'seat' part to take it out. I can re-do it any time I want in another fabric, if I want to.

Yes, I do use upholstery glue sticks in my regular hot glue gun. I have linked my source below. I spoke to an upholsterer after I had bought these and he said he just uses regular ones, but this glue really attaches very strongly.

I'm so happy that this may have interested some of you in seeing inexpensive finds used in different ways that you can custom make yourselves. Here are the pics of the underside, but now you know it just sits on those outside 'rails'. This was a very easy project.

photo IMG_2449640x480_zps515b5c27.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 Upholstery glue sticks 10 inch

o

Great job! I think it's much too big for your space and perfect for mine. ;) Kidding aside, if you ever tire of it I'd be happy to buy it off of you.

o

I always love seeing your projects. You have such talent!

o

Oh, I see! Thanks for that underside picture. I can see how the base sits right on top of the outer horizontal supports.

Also, thank you for the glue stick link : )

o

You always make beautiful things. Really, that welting (which looks like double piping?) is just glued on? I saw a chair in a book that had a tufted back - completely done with a hot glue gun. She made it from a red velvet skirt she got in a thrift store. I didn't much believe her when she said it held up for 5 years with two little boys, but always wondered how secure that would be.

o

Amazing. I'm in awe of your vision and talent. Can you explain a bit about the piping ? What happens to the 'flange' of fabric that 's created when you sew the cording inside?

o

Natebear, I'll keep that in mind, but for right now, I am very happy with it. :-)

Musicteacher, thanks! And the upholstery glue sticks I use are a very strong bond. I have also used a glue in a bottle called Magna-Tac 809 Permanent Adhesive, but I have to pin on the welt (and yes, this is double welt, which is very easy to make) and let it dry. But that stuff is so strong that you might rip the fabric if you ever wanted to pull the trim/welt off!

I've put a blog link below on how to make double welt, and she used the Magna-Tac glue to attach hers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sewing Double-Cord Welting

o

Whenever I think of your home, I always relate it to a jewel box because, to me, it's filled with wonderful, unique treasures. What a lovely new "treasure" this ottoman is! You should have your own HGTV show, My3dogs. Until they discover you and steal you away from us, I'm so glad that you continue to teach, amaze, and inspire us here!
Lynn

o

Love to see the pics of your creative genius.
Congrats on another great success!

o

Love the ottoman, it is incredible. Wish I had your creativity!

The stool for the dog is adorable too, what a lucky dog.

o

So fun! I love your projects. I love Lynne's description of your home as a jewel box, I feel the same way.

Beth P.

o

Wonderful!

o

You are brilliant. I love seeing your transformations. And I've always loved your style. Thanks so much for sharing!

o

I was excited to see it when I saw the post title. Beautiful! I scour our local CL almost daily with treasures like yours in mind...to no avail.

I am glad there are gorgeous pieces being saved and improved in your neck of the woods, and so impressed with your results!

o

Both pieces are beautiful. Your ideas are truly inspirational.

o

Fantastic creativity..you always amaze. I have the fabric but still haven't gotten the chairs over to my guy to do them. Trying to get too much else done outside now that weather warm and sunny here. love your posts. c

o

I love it! You are so talented. I sure wish some of that talent would rub off on me!

o

Wow! Absolutely beautiful.

o

What talent. I so wish I could take an upholstery class, but nothing is offered in my area. Beautiful work!

o

So pretty! I love the fabric you chose; it fits the piece perfectly. I've never heard of upholstery glue sticks before, but if I ever get around to upholstery, they sound like just the thing.

o

Like your other projects, this one is absolutely terrific! I like it so much better this way than the original (w/ glass tabletop),

This post was edited by cat_mom on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 22:30

o

I never cease to be amazed what all you can do with staples, glue guns, thread, needle, discarded items and a piece of fabric. Your home is (as already stated) a treasure box. I would like to see pictures of the whole house again soon. It is one of the biggest treats here at GW.

o

Your home is a treasure trove of creativity and you're the creator. Kudos once again.

o

Ditto ditto ditto !!!!'

o

OMG you are awesome!!!!! That says it all. Then End

o

Amazing! It looks perfect! I am jealous! Wish I could do such creative and talented things!

o

While I so appreciate the praise, I am pretty sure with a bit of guidance via blogs or You Tube videos, that all of you could do this. This project had no sewing except for the double welt.

I REALLY lucked out with that coffee table for $25, and finding the perfect fabric.

dlm2000, I'm sorry I missed your question on the welt 'flange'. It just gets cut away, after sewing the welt and before gluing it to the piece. I hope that blog I linked above helps.

To sweet Lynn, and the other kind folks who think of my house as a jewel box, if you could see it right now, with my dining room table covered with an old plastic table cloth, and chairs, ottomans and drawers on it in various stages of 'done-ness', well, be afraid - be very afraid! My full time job makes it hard to get a project done, except for this ottoman, which was quick and easy!

o

It's such a treat to check in here and find one of your projects. Every one of your hand crafted treasures is unique and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

o

This is one of my favorite of your projects. It's amazing! I love your choice of fabric too.

o

Fabulous! Brilliant use of a $25 find and your amazing talents!

o

GW is blessed to have you! I agree that many here have the skills needed for some of the make-overs you have done, but what sets you apart m3d, is your wonderfully creative eye that sees beyond the obvious and the unique ability to find and pair the most perfect fabrics on the most perfect pieces in such a stunningly beautiful way.

o

I'd never have the patience (or talent). It looks great. Congrats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here