Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shappy_gw

Please show me your washer and dryer

shappy
16 years ago

I'm pulling my hair out trying to make my laundry room look. . .well neat-not an embarrassing mess. I'm in the middle of painting the room (SW macademia) looks great - painted the 8 foot window (thank you whoever recommended cabinet coat paint). The new drapes are hung - look great. I even bought a large free standing cabinet to hide the laundry baskets.

But the elephant in the room are the ugly washer and dryer--they are set in a 6 foot closet with no door- they need hiding! I had louvered bi-fold doors there years ago- they got dusty and yucky so I took then out.

Here are my ideas: new bi-fold doors, draperies.

All suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Comments (59)

• shappy
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The cabinets look nice but would be difficult because it's recessed into a closet space.

The room is 10' x 20' and I was trying to make it look inviting as my disabled BIL is coming to visit us and it can double as a bedroom for his stay (he can't climb stairs.)

• chelone
    16 years ago

I couldn't care a FIG for the dryer...

BUT, the front loading washer...sigh... I am in serious "drool mode".

"Dyed in the wool" New England yankee (read: cheap) that I am I can't give up what I OWN and works fine for something I want.

I really can't do it. Are any of you able to understand that?

:/

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Ok - that does not look so great. But your washer and dryer look fine. Here is my unfinished washer and dryer area. I still need baseboard and a window treatment. My paint is looking pink in this pic - I promise it's not!

{{gwi:1606544}}

• whenicit
    16 years ago

I totally get you chelone. My mother served Thanksgiving yams (that I made) at New Year's (but she froze them so I'm sure they were fine and no, I did not eat them and am just being sarcastic, I'm sure they were disgusting). She's a midwestern cheapie. I have 9 siblings, I did not grow up with lots of stuff.

To each his own, we do understand you but it doesn't mean we want to be like you :-) LOL.

FWIW

• chelone
    16 years ago

It's clear to me, Whenicit, that you DON'T "get" ME, at all!

• whenicit
    16 years ago

okay. Sorry about that.

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

Whenicit,

I noticed on the second picture of your laundry room a long skinny thing on the wall above your hamper. Is that one of those clothes racks that you fold down to hang clothes on? Is it handy and do you use it very often? I looked at one to hang in my laundry room but wondered how sturdy it would be with several items on it. Saw where you had a hanging rack above the dryer, too. I need something like that also.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Wow, 10x20 is a wonderfully huge laundry room! I do agree that your laundry area isn't "attractive", but doors would restrict your access so much. I do think cabinets would work. You'd get deep enough ones so that the doors would be flush with the wall.

I just went through my laundry room and threw away probably half of what was on my shelves, old jackets on hooks etc. It really helped neaten up the area. Maybe once you paint, clean off your shelves and empty the room on any extra "stuff", you'll feel its more attractive. I think the paint will really warm up the area and make it less a laundry room. Are you going to paint in the closet area too? Also, maybe you could swap out the mirrored doors for solid ones so you don't have an ugly reflection. You could also maybe put a solid wallpaper over the mirrors if you don't want to go to the hassle/expense of replacing them.

Chelone, I too, am one not to want to replace something that's not broken. My washer did die 6-7 years ago, so I did get a front loader. I went to the local scratch/dent place and got one for quite a discount. But, my dryer was still fine so I kept it and told myself I'd get the matching dryer when the old one croaked. It still hasn't croaked so, I have a big front loader and a regular size dryer!

Since you are thrifty by nature, keep in mind the water you'll be saving with a front loader. I think the average front loader uses 12-16 gallons per load vs. a top loader at 35-40 gallons. Also, less soap and wear and tear on your clothes. I think the only downside I've found with mine, is the cycle does run longer than in my old top loader.

• whenicit
    16 years ago

Ha Ha, that long skinny thing is a wood carving of a dentist (DH is retired dentist and for some reason he chose to hang it there although it clearly is dwarfed by the wall).

However, I had one of those racks that fold down in my old home (and have one in the cabinet over the washer ready to be mounted). I loved it and used it all of the time. I hung stuff there as I unloaded the dryer or hung stuff there to dry. And since LR was first room in from the garage, hung wet coats and snow pants, which was great as it was right over a heating vent.

I am only 5'3" and preferred that over my new hanging area over the dryer. It is a reach for me - both depth and height (but DH does a lot of laundry so it's OK).

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

Oops! Sorry about that. Eye sight is getting worse. Sure looked like one to me! Thanks for the info.

Didn't mean to get off subject but really got excited that someone had actually used one!

Shappy, I did what another one mentioned here and cleaned on my utility room for two days. Was astounded at how much "good stuff" I had in there. It looked like a different room when it was done. Like the idea of the bi-fold doors, too. Think they look sharp.

Roguevalley, that is really a neat way you have to hang your clothes.

• littledog
    16 years ago

I too just can't bring myself to replace a working machine even if it's for a front loader that I just *know* will make life ever so much more slenderiferous. ;^) DH "surprised" me with our current machine a couple of years ago. It's gets the laundry clean, but the tub is sooooo deep that I have to stand on something to reach the bottom. I just tell myself that stair stepping is good exercise...

I also have an authentic, antique solar clothes dryer and wouldn't give it up for anything. Getting to hang the wash outside in the fresh air is the *only* reason I like to do it. If I had to stand around pulling hot sheets out of a dryer reeking of fabric softener sheets, I'd gag.

Last year, I painted all the clothespins lush shades of blue and purple. Makes it easy to find them if they get dropped in the grass, and, well, it just looks fun. Sometime this spring, I'll repaint the poles too; not sure if I want them bright blue (like the pins) or silver, which was the original color.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Texas - thanks on the clothes hanging "system". It was easy and cheap. It is just a curtain rod (clearanced at Lowes for $2.50) on some chain. That curtain rod has great leaf patterned finials, but DH needs to solder the rod to the chain, because it always rolls over on the side and I can't see the leaves! Always something, right?

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

Chelone: Not a Yankee, but I get you.

I still have a box set and rabbit ears that catch two grainy tv channels. No remote.

The front loaders are neat, but my set will have to be dead and buried first. And mine are practically new, only 9 years old.

:)

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

I'm so jealous! My laundry room is in the garage. I had to hang some matchstick blinds to create a semi enclosed area away from DH's workarea.

I found a nifty laundry center thing at Costco...it's got the hanging rod, several shelves (great to store the baskets) and it's all wire, so I can lay sweaters flat and they dry. It doesn't take up a lot of room, and it offers me so much more space than I ever had. I use the top of the 'shelves' for my folding table. I'm half considering buying one more, to double my space.

A question about front loaders...since it's just Hubby and I, is it worth having one? They all seem to be ultra capacity (what I wouldn't have given to have something like that when all the kids were home!) I'm not looking to replace what I have, but I've told DH when the dryer goes (it came with the house) I want to replace the set, since the washer is newer than the dryer. I've flirted with the front load idea, but not sure if it's overkill. Thoughts?

• shappy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm curious about these front loaders, too. Toyed with the idea of buying one for half a second reading this thread. Maybe I just have too much *stuff* I need to throw away. I can't even part with my bins of "rags" you see over the w/d.

I'm leaning towards the solid bi-fold doors BUT I measured my space and it's around 71 1/2". The bi-fold doors at home depot are for a 72" space. Wonder if it would work? I'm feeling a little too cheap right now to do "custom"- wonder what that would cost? I can get a set of doors at home depot for under $100 and try to install them myself. There is a track there from a previous bi-fold.

I am kind of pleased with myself--I did throw away some of the junk above the w/d. I have to do a 'don't look back' approach because there were sweet things like cub scout badges from my now 21 yr old.

Maybe I just need to throw stuff out and start over. Main reason I started this task is I'm off work to take care of DH who has an unexpected major illness--somehow working with my hands takes my mind off my problems.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Shappy, a pretty curtain could hide the whole area from view. Or if noise from the machines running is a problem you can use wood doors. As for the shelves, can you put things in pretty baskets?

Did you by any chance take a look at the Laundry Room thread in the Gallery? There are many pretty ones there and maybe some good ideas for you.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Shappy, I too would just curtain off the area with fabric panels on ring clips.

Anyone: On front loader washing machines, can you add more clothes once the machine has started? If not, that would be a minus for me as I'm always finding one more thing that needs to go into an already in progress load.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I happily gave up my old washer and dryer (came with the house, no clue how old they are but still working) for a set of frontloaders. The frontloaders are stackable and this enabled us to move the laundry out of the musty 120 year old basement onto the first floor. Ours are sitting in our mudroom (glorified back entry hall) and when I am walking to the back door from the garage or carport the first thing I see through the window is clothes spinning in the dryer. It doesn't bother me though, it means DH is doing some laundry.

I guess that's why I don't see the machines themselves as being particularly offensive - but I agree that closed storage keeps the place MUCH neater. We have a chest freezer in there that doubles as a folding table.

The room is still unfinished. Just a piece of plywood for a counter (I want something nicer one of these days) and the old wallpaper from the PO, I need to strip it and paint etc, but it's clean, it's functional, and it's easily accessible - 10 steps from DH's home office so I don't have to worry about clothes being left for days in the musty basement washer because he forgot they were there and I was working too many hours to notice.

I'm not sure how much help my picture is but I do agree with those who say closed storage (cabinets with doors) is the answer. The machines are not an eyesore, the clutter is.

• runninginplace
    16 years ago

""Dyed in the wool" New England yankee (read: cheap) that I am I can't give up what I OWN and works fine for something I want."

Except in this case have you considered that your 16-year old machine is using a whole lot more resources to clean than the front loader would? Water, electricity and thus $$$ not to mention the effect on the environment.

When I was pondering making the change, I first looked at the cost differential which is indeed pretty major. But then I analyzed how much I was going to spend over the life of the machine by factoring in all resource savings. The front loaders use less water to launder the clothes, which come out as clean or cleaner BTW than the old fashioned top loaders. They use less electricity. And because they spin the clothes faster, the dryer (if you have one, though you don't Chelone) uses less energy to dry.

All that not only saves money but is much healthier for the environment.

Once I figured out what the annual energy savings were I subtracted that amount from the amortized cost of the machine. And I also shopped carefully so I got my unit on sale, with extended interest-free financing and free delivery. Since I always pay off my purchases on time that meant not only did I have not borrowing costs, I also could add in the value of keeping my money in the bank to earn interest while paying over an extended period. Once I calculated the true costs and savings it became a no brainer for me. The front loaders was actually going to cost less over the life of the washer (and I used a conservative estimate-didn't figure on having it forever). On top of that we live in an area of septic tanks and increasing water shortages so the washer is absolutely better for that as well.

So there is frugality on both sides of this analysis. Not saying everyone should rush out and replace front loaders. I was in need of a new washer anyway; I didn't wake up one morning and decide to buy something new just because. But the savings issue is a lot more than simply the initial cost.

And while I'm here, to the OP: when you finally posted the photograph of your W/D area, I couldn't help but think-no offense-that the biggest reason it looks bad is because there is a lot of clutter and disarray going on there. If you had some baskets to hold the laundry and tidied up those shelves, or as someone said put in some cabinets...it would look pretty decent IMO.

Then again I'm someone whose 'laundry room' is the end of my garage. If I turn around I could probably drape my clothes on the hood of my car as a drying rack :).

Ann

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Shappy,

I have had Lowe's/Home Depot cut wood for me many times. If these are solid wood doors, I bet they'd cut 1/2" off for you. It can't hurt to ask. What's the cabinet to the right of the washers? Is that storage? Just wondering how you're going to open those bifold doors with that cabinet right there. Seems it might obstruct the area. I think also you need to try and consolidate your materials. If you have mirror doors, light oak doors, and now bifold doors - can you paint them all white? That would look nice with the wall paint. Just another thought!! I wouldn't do fabric if it were me. Laundry rooms are dust collectors - those fabric panels would be filled with dryer dust in no time!

To respond to some of the front loader questions. The water levels adjust automatically to however many clothes you have, which I like because my top loader if I wanted to wash a few light things, even the low water level was sometimes too much. You just have to make sure you adjust the soap amount. I've put too much soap in occasionally when doing light loads. I get the suds error and it will actually wash/rinse longer to remove the excess suds without me doing anything.

I do like the ability to wash my king comforter in my washer without taking it to the laundry mat - that's a plus. You can add clothes up to a certain point. I think its half way through the wash cycle. I have a light on mine says "Add clothes" it's lit up for about half the wash cycle. If you want to add something, you push the pause button and it stops and unlocks the door so you can add things. It's sortof funny because after that point, you can't unlock the door without canceling the whole cycle. I guess it's telling you - "Don't put in those dirty socks - it's too late, they won't get clean and you'll soil all the clean clothes I've already cleaned!"

I would never go back to a top loader - it just seems so wasteful and unnecessary. When I first got mine, I used to sit and watch through the window the clothes tumble.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

I have a front loader...a couple of folks mentioned that they wondered if they were worth it. I love ours, it does us much less water than regular washers and many other front loaders on the market. Like caroleoh, it adjust water levels for the load. A big bonus is that it spins the clothes so well they require very little dry time. The downside? Ours are on a second floor and when they do spin they shake the entire house. Some research after we moved into the house showed that if we reinforced the floor under the tile with additional plywood, that would have cut down the vibration. Now we just keep the spin speed on low until we decide whether we're going to move it to the basement. They do have some specifically designed for second floor use but we can't bring ourselves to replace these as they're only abut 4 yrs old.

• caroline94535
    16 years ago

What I started with one closing day...

We ripped out and replaced the floor, vanity, sink, and lighting; removed paneling and repaired walls, installed 20-inch tiles, painted, etc.

This is the oppisite end of mudroom. Doors lead to sunporch; there's a closet to the left, and the doorway to our bedroom on the right. The right wall is about 5 feet from the corner to the bedroom's pocket door.

The floor is not bowed; LOL. My little camera distorts the lines.

Before sink is installed...

In progress...

I still have to hang cabinets above the W/D; install the light fixture above the sink, and swap out the backwards faucets the contractor put in.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Mine is a converted hall/closet. like 4x5. Machines are small-size Bosch Axxis. Window is new. Cabinets are Kraftmaid. Trim isn't done yet.

Casey

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

My laundry/mud room is fairly spacious with lots of storage (the only room with storage in the whole house!)This is the room you walk into from the screened porch and from this room you enter the kitchen.

The one thing I don't like is almost everyone comes to the back door, which means they walk through this room into the house. Usually there are piles of laundry on the floor.

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

Mary lu: your cabinets are fabulous! Are they original to the house? So cute!

Caroline- that is such an amazing transformation. I had to scroll back and forth several times to compare the before and after!

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Mary lu, your space makes me just drool! It's absolutely precious, and I'd imagine being there would actually make doing the laundry a real pleasure instead of a chore. Very, very nicely done!

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Shappy, I don't think it's that bad, the w/d are fine (I was expecting these rusty, dented harvest-gold hulks!) but I think it's everything else in there that's making you crazy. IMO it needs to be organized and de-junked (sorry) before anything else. In general it does look maybe a little bit like a catch-all dumping zone and that is just not conducive to looking nice in any room. Perhaps not buying in quite so much bulk might be an idea to pursue - do you live so far into the boonies that you'll go through nine rolls of paper towels before you go to the store again? Purchasing in bulk is not always as economical as one thinks if it interferes with other aspects of one's life.

Then while everything is out of the closet area being organized/culled, paint the interior of it a bright, cheerful color. Pick up some matching storage bins to corral all the "stuff" on the shelves - cubical baskets go on 50% off sale at Michaels quite regularly. Some better lighting might be a good plan, both for appearance and functionality. Whether or not you put up some new, nice-looking bifolds it would look more "finished" to put trim around the opening. Yes, they can be trimmed very easily - both sets I ordered for the last house had to be cut down by about 3/4" to fit the opening properly. It was done at the factory and there was a small surcharge of maybe $20ish.

Is there another place where you could put your brooms and such so that you could scoot the machines together to the right, lower the head of your steamer (I see it's height-adjustable) and slip it next to the dryer? If you are well organized you probably will not need that plastic drawer thing.

If the mirrored closet reflects something that offends your sensibilities, then perhaps there should not be a mirrored closet. If you can't afford to replace the closet doors (it can indeed get pricey), think about using one of those glass etching products and a wallpaper-type stencil (or even stripes of masking tape) to make a pattern on the mirror that obstructs the reflection somewhat. You'd still get the light-bouncing effect of the mirror but the reflection would be broken up and less obtrusive. There's a spray one that you can remove with a razor blade or paint thinner later.

kabergs: have you checked your washer with a level? When we first moved the washer practically tapdanced around the room because the movers just plunked it into place and stuck on the hoses, but from my brief foray into the madness that is the Laundry forum ;-) I knew that front-loaders needed to be perfectly level both front-to-back and side-to-side. Ours is on the first floor (old pine boards on joists) and as soon as it was leveled the noise dropped dramatically.

littledog: "reeking of fabric softener sheets"? Good grief! For one thing, many manufacturers now recommend that you NOT use dryer sheets at all because it eventually gunks up moisture sensors with residue. (IME it can also leave a gummy film inside the dryer drum that needs to be scrubbed off. Nasty.) Second, should one be addicted to them there ARE fragrance- and dye-free ones out there. There are even liquid fabric softeners that have either no scent or very faint naturally-derived scents that pretty much disappear in the dryer which go into the washer either in one of those Downy ball things or in the dispenser if you have one. We use f/s maybe one load out of 20 in the winter, the quart bottle I have is a good two years old. Some people like to use white vinegar in the rinse instead of commercial f/s and we've had some success with that, just not in the winter when it's so dry that everything crackles (one drawback to wool rugs, but one benefit of porcelain doorknobs!)... Oh, and as for "pulling hot sheets out" - our dryer, and I think most newer dryers do too, has a "cool down" part to the drying cycle, which minimizes wrinkles, makes things easier to fold, and keeps fabrics from getting "overcooked".

pesky, not all front loaders are ginormous. It's just DH and me in the house too and our medium-sized one (Frigidaire GLTF2940) works very well for us. If you prefer to do very small loads every day or two, it may not work for you, but we like being able to do laundry once a week in one fell swoop instead of constantly having the machine running.

I really do like the f/l machines we chose; I choked at the initial price but I combined a sale, coupons, rebates from the "gummint" and electric company, additional discounts, and a good financing deal (which left my money earning interest in the bank for a year) which got it down to a price I could wrap my head around. I lusted and lusted for ages but waited until the old washer exploded water all over the laundry room and by then we had to run the dryer twice per load on the longest time setting to get clothes dry anyway. They were 12 years old, el cheapos to begin with, rusty and beaten-up, and we had just been waiting for them to die. I had a repairman come in and he said "lady, it'll cost as much to fix these as it would to buy new ones". We went to laundromats for two weeks (UGH) while I researched and looked for sales.

It's actually much easier on my shoulders and especially back (I'm only 5'2") than practically crawling into a top-loader machine to get the heavy, wet clothes out. I can sit on the floor on a stool with the laundry basket between my knees, pull the wet clothes out, scoot the stool over to the dryer, and shove them in there instead of bending way over as most people think you have to. They desperately need to be stacked but DH is afraid to tackle that one, I think we'll get a handyman in to do it. Our laundry room is 4'x5' so we don't sort or fold in there; both are done out in the living room so we can watch TV at the same time. House rule is whoever's doing the laundry gets to choose the TV show and the other person can't complain about it. :-) Dirty laundry is sorted into baskets which are put out in the mudroom to await laundering; if someone comes through the back door they see baskets instead of piles of laundry on the floor, which I think looks a little nicer.

I've done the hanging-on-the-line thing and never doing it again would be too soon. These days hauling one load of wet laundry outside and hanging it would do me in for days, I'd have to have DH haul it in and finish the job. I'll compensate for the electricity elsewhere! I'd still be putting them in the dryer for a few minutes after they came inside anyway, because I hate putting on stiff, "crunchy" clothes.

• sameboat
    16 years ago

Now you see 'em...

And now you don't!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I did a countertop, too. My laundry is right off the entry from the garage and viewed from the kitchen. I didn't add doors because it would have made the hallway too narrow.

Also, I've had my front loaders for over 7 years and love them. Had them at my last house, too.

• shappy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow what nice laundry areas many of you have! I agree, my clutter is the huge problem. Sometimes posting a pic helps me to evaluate things more objectively, there is just too much stuff and it's controlling me. The w/d still work fine so don't need to throw away $$ there, though those front loaders sure look great.

Think I will try the bi-fold doors froom HD. If they don't work I'll try to return them.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Look at this pic and tell me you don't think this looks horrible. There is also a mirror closet at the other end of the room so this awful reflection is the first thing you see when you walk into the room.

You can hang a curtain in front, then buy some wicker baskets. My area is pretty much the same size.. don't have a photo of what I just did. I went to Marshalls and found cute baskets, then I found 2 wicker trunks that stack, they are great to hold cases of water and what ever else. My washer is on the left, dryer on the right. You look like you have room to the left of the dryer, you can get a short rod.. very handy when shirts come out of the dryer they go straight on hangers.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Shappy - I'm not suggesting front loaders or this paint color, but saw this pic of organized open shelving and thought I would pass it along.

Here is a link that might be useful: open shelving

• User
    16 years ago

i came into this thread rather late and not to really get off subject..but to those of you who have front loaders, have you ever had problem with mildew?

I just bought my first washer and dryer set in december and i struggled for awhile with whether or not to get a front loader. Everything sounded wonderful as far as saving energy, clothes cleaner, yadda ya. I mean i really did some extensive researching. I kept hearing people talk about mildew. Read tons of reviews and problems with mildew. Just for that reason ..that there could be even a chance..i went with an toploader. Some people never have any problems. Just something to think about!

• johnmari
    16 years ago

"but to those of you who have front loaders, have you ever had problem with mildew?"

Nope. We also don't run scalding-hot cycles, use chlorine bleach, or scrub out the machine, and we do use the ultra-mild natural detergents, all of which some of the Laundry Forum folk insist is a recipe for the "creeping crud". We don't leave the door open because that's a bad thing for curious pets - although we no longer share our home with a cat, it's a bad habit to get into for when there is one again. No problems a year in.

• shappy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Went to HD yesterday and purchased two 36" bi-fold doors, they are the six-panel ones and match exactly the door that is at the entrance to the laundry room, they are quite attractive even unpainted (come primed). The opening is only 71 1/2" so I'm hoping they fit. We are just in the process of trying to get the old hardware out (stripped screws 20 years old). Best part was they were only $85. Before I spend big $ on new cabinets, etc. I think I would consider some new updated machines but that's not in the budget right now so I'd like to improve the look of what I have.

I will work on this today and I think they will look nice IF I can get them installed correctly! Will post pics if successful.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I have front loaders that I love and bought myself almost 2.5 years ago when my washer and dryer completely died on me. Mine are the Whirlpool Duet Set that I never have mildew since I wipe out any water on the door and seal when I am done all my laundry and keep the door a little bit open to air out.

Shabby, looking forward to pics since the doors sound nice. I wish my tiny laundry room was a little bigger for more room for laundry baskets and room to stand but I am blessed with a laundry room in my townhouse that is across from my bedroom. This was one of the other reasons I chose this townhouse over the house with the extra bedroom since their laundry room was downstairs in the bi-level and would be noisy while I worked.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    16 years ago

My washer and dryer set is only about 6 years old, so I've got a few years before I need to replace them, but that doesn't stop me from looking (I like looking at all appliances). Anyway my best friend was re-doing her house and moving her laundry up to an unused portion of her huge master closet. She called me and asked what to get. I told her my wish list units are the Fisher and Paykel top load washer and top load dryer. Unlike most people, I absolutely HATE front load washers and dryers. I hate bending over and reaching into the washer and feeling around for more wet clothes, then having to reach into the dark dryer to fetch the dried clothes. Since my friend is tall (5'10") I told her to go check them out. She has had them for about 3 months now and absolutely loves them. They are made using the same technology as the front loaders, just tipped up. So you get the water savings and cleaner (non agitated) laundry. She also loves that you MUST keep the tops cleaned off, which has turned out to be an added bonus.
    Oh well, one day.
    Annette

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Below is what I did. I'm not done with the area.. still need to add a few things but you can get an idea of my set up which is great for my bad back. It's all about ease for me, not having to bend or walk much. I usually keep a laundry basket on the dryer and add clothes according to person, hubby's & mine go on the left, daughters goes on the right. My son doesn't have much laundry so his goes straight to his room while ours can sit there a few days folded. Another thing I do is put things that need to be hung on the dryer door as I'm unloading, then they go on the hanger, hung according to who's it is. My daughter is always 1st in case she needs something before I put it away. I keep a little tykes stool in the basket above the washer in case I need something on the top shelf. All of the baskets were bought at Marshalls.

What are the doors on the right of your picture and how close are they to the washer area? Is there enough room to open the bifold doors?

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry room link

• mzdee
    16 years ago

Shappy,
    My laundry area has that configuration. Organize your shelves and paint. It doesn't look like you can add doors; you have a set off to the right?? No need to close it off really. Just make it pretty. Pretty paint, pretty baskets.
    I keep my extras (paper towel, toilet paper, detergents, etc.) on shelves in the garage. This is will help you keep the area neat.

If you can do the doors, do them. Curtains....welllllll.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow! There are so many pretty laundry rooms posted here. Would those of you who posted the pictures please go post your pics in the Laundry Room thread in the Gallery? Pretty please?

• natal
    16 years ago

I kept hearing people talk about mildew. Read tons of reviews and problems with mildew.

That seems to be a recurring theme wherever I read about front loaders. Keeping the door open should help alleviate the problem, but like JM said, not a good idea in homes with 4-legged friends.

I had a front loader about 8 years ago. Used it for a week and sent it back. It didn't clean really dirty clothes. I'm talking working in the yard, ground in dirt. That doesn't cut it in my house. And there's the issue of the vibration from the high spin cycles and the machines "moving" if you live in house with pier and beam construction.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I have a front loader. If I don't leave the door open to the washer, to dry out, it will mildew because there are crevices for water to stay. The owner's manual tells you to leave the door open to dry out the machine.

• shappy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I put up the bi-fold doors today and with a few tweeks, they fit!! I can't believe I hesitated because I have only 71 1/2", there was actually plenty of room! A laborious job just with removing old rusty stripped screws, pre-drilling holes, etc. Needed help from DH to actually hang the doors since they are quite bulky (hollow core, can't imagine how heavy solid doors would be --no thanks!)

Got one coat of paint on tonight, will post pics when completed.

• laurenk88_pa
    16 years ago

Well I have my washer and dryer in my powder room, so definitely not a lot of space. None actually!

Don't be scared by this picture...it's the day I bought my house...and has since been repainted with a new shower curtain, which hides the washer and dryer.

I can post the updated picture if you want to see it.

Chelone, I totally get you! I was thrilled when my washer (from I'm guessing the 80's) died last summer. Had to get a new one at that point!

Of course, there was what seemed like un-ending drama getting the old one out of that little powder room, and the dryer was hardwired to the wall...but that's a whole different topic. Be careful what you wish for, right?!

• laurenk88_pa
    16 years ago

Bocron,

I just finished reading these messages. I just got a Fisher and Paykel and I love it!! As you can see above, a front loader was not an option.

Hopefully next year I can get the dryer as well!

• beausoleil
    16 years ago

I haven't read through all of the responses, so this may have already been suggested. I would cover the opening with draperies on a hospital track. So much easier to open and close, and you won't need to fuss with them like you would with tab tops or rod pocket drapes. I believe you can get the tracks through medical supply companies.
    If I were you, I'd also invest in some attractive storage solutions. Ikea is downright inspirational when it comes to storage. Check out the link below to their laundry inspiration page.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Laundry Inspiration

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Shappy, Good for you! I look forward to seeing your completed project.

• susieq07
    16 years ago

I love my laundry room..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• littledog
    16 years ago

Mari, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I don't own a mechanical dryer, and I don't use any "fabric softeners"; liquid or sheets. We have naturally soft water here, so there's not much point. I've noticed most brands have come out with a "fragrance free" version, but IMHO, they're all still just oily chemicals designed to temporarily give your laundry a soft "hand", but over time, will ruin the fabric. I'm just an original Laundry Luddite with a serioulsy cheap, green streak. I'd hate to waste electricity to heat up (and then cool down) my clothing when I have 100 ft of perfectly good clothesline that can air dry everything but heavy comforters in about 20 minutes - for free. Our clothes smell fresh and clean without resorting to artifically scented (polluting) chemicals, and I get to enjoy the benefits of fresh air and a little exercise, so for me it's win/win.

Still, I have a tidy little laundry space with a washing machine, and a place to put the "laundry aids" such as they are. (White vinegar, borax, a bottle of laundry detergent and clorox bleach, a box of baking soda, and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.) I designed a fold up ironing board with a shelf to hold the iron and a spray bottle, but I have to wait to get the hot water heater moved before I can put it up. Still haven't made up my mind what color to paint the clothesline poles, but when I get it all done, I'll post pictures too. I know that not everyone can use a clothesline; some people are physically unable, some don't have access to a place to put one, some people live in restricted neighborhoods with anal retentive HOAs, and some live in areas with so much dust, grime and pollution their clothing wouldn't remain clean if they did hang it outside wet. What can I say? I'm one of the lucky ones. :^)

• patches_02
    16 years ago

Mine is in mudd room/laundry.