Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklebread

Suggestions to update a traditional dining room

sparklebread
10 years ago

I don't know what to do with this room. My vision is formal yet inviting. The walls are BM Edgecomb Gray, which I believe looks drab in this north facing room. I would consider wallpaper. The chandelier goes. The room is 15'x12'. Ceiling is 8'. Table without leaves is 72" x 46". Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Comments (62)

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! I pulled our old Karastan carpet out of the attic and placed it under the table. It does make an immediate difference. I love the carpet, but is it too small?

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Yes, it is too small, but you can see how a new rug can make a huge difference! Are those the colors that you favor?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

Makes a difference for sure, but yep, too small. You need a rug at least as big as the one you had in the first pic, maybe even a bit bigger than that (kind of hard to tell from the angle in the pic so not sure on that).

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It is way too small, but that style is so great in dining rooms (hence my suggestion you go for a gold or wine colored Persian style). They add warmth with grace and sophistication, while also hiding stains!

The rug has to be big enough that the chairs stay on it when pulled out, including when leaves are in the table.

I think you're on the right path, though! That rug is beautiful.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Btw, why on earth was that rug in your attic? It's beautiful! Put it in the kitchen or master bathroom,front hall in front of those stairsâ¦.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That carpet is over 25 years old and it wears like iron. I do love the colors and it will probably end up in the study across the hall. I would like to stay in that color way as far as a new carpet in the dining room. The paint color in the front hall is Edgecomb Gray as well. Any ideas for lighting?

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Rug is gorgeous, I'd get a larger one for the DR and use it somewhere else. Lighting? Until the rug came in, while the furniture is wonderful and classic, the chandy was the only thing that caught my eye. I'd spray paint it ORB, add some shades and voila! a great dining room, no paint necessary!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Wow. Doesn't look 25 years old. What does 'wears like iron' mean?

I tried the Edgecomb grey when I was picking paint colors but felt it was too brown/green, drab. It doesn't look like that, though, in your pics.

It took me forever, but I finally figured out that the key to picking paint isn't about picking the top color but rather picking the under color. So, if you want a warm color, you want paint that has a yellow undertone; cooler, you want blue or grey. Then go for how you want to room to feel, what look are you going for? That will help determine the deepness of the color.

Another nice thing about rugs like that is that, when they wear, you can just color them in with Magic Markers!

Re: lighting - what kind of look are you going for?

• crl_
    10 years ago

I agree the rug is too small, but the design and colors are great! Since you like it, I would look for similar in the right size. Got any art work in your attic? :-). Lots of color options in the rug to work with.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Okay, I will take a try at a lighting idea. This is just a chandelier I like. It may be too rustic for the look you want.

Maybe if you say what you don't like about your current fixture, that would help with suggestions? And what you don't like about my link too--'cause I doubt I'm in the right ballpark. Also I like to try to have light fixtures work with the architecture of the house, so maybe giving some idea of what kind of house you have would spark some suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Antiques Mediterranean style chandelier

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Lighting is so much fun and there are so many possibilities. Try Shades of Light and, a bit pricier, Circa Lighting.

I recently saw this in person and wish I needed a chandelier somewhere, the way the light bounces off the prisms is wonderful. To me it looks quite traditional yet modern at the same time .

The RH ones are not inexpensive. But Shades of Light ahs one for like $600.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

I measured the rug I have in my DR (my DR is just a tiny bit bigger than yours at 12'4" x 15'6") and it is 9x12.
    So this rug which is 8'3" x 11 could be a good size for you.
    Something with some movement and colors to go with the grey paint. I find Overstock has a good selection in wool at very good prices. This one for example is $363.

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock rug

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Really pretty set...they look new so you may not want to do this, but the white seats look too stark to me...maybe once new rug , artwork, etc are in place you could find a nice coordinating print or something darker.

• maddie260
    10 years ago

When you find a rug, I think you should upholster the chairs so they enhance the richness of the wood; the white detracts from the richness of the wood. You have a beautiful dining room set!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

A neighbor inherited a set very much like this when her mother died. She recalled how beautiful it was when she was growing up. Once in her own home, she disliked it very much.

Yours is very pretty, clean and polished but hers was not. We called the furniture refinisher and he refinished it in the same colors, we chose upholstery fabric of a subtle beige-gray velvet-like stripe.

We put large, colorful artwork on the wall over the buffet and changed out her light fixture to something wrought iron and crystal, chose some very large, tall wrought iron candlesticks to stand on the buffet in front of the artwork. We did a "big" floral arrangement in a footed crystal bowl that we found at a flea market, placed flowers similar to the artwork in the bowl and set the table with Lenox solitaire and her gold overlaid flatware.

We gave the room a more a playful look with a needlepoint rug under the table (organ grinder with monkey and other monkeys dressed and dancing in 18th century costumes of colors similar to artwork).

• saipanlady
    10 years ago

Depends on how much money you want to spend. I actually very much like both the wall color and rug. It gives you a great canvas to add what you love....like some art that makes your heart sing. Maybe you could blow up and frame (like at least 16x20 prints framed out to 20x24") some family pictures...of the dog, the kids, yourselves, trips, vacations. Maybe you have a store nearby that sells art or a coop or a local artist??? Perhaps get some very big dramatic fun candleholders on your server and a couple of glass pieces that make your heart sing. I think you can have all the basics for a great room already in place....now to make it warm and inviting you have to add things that speak of you.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I moved the dining room carpet into the sunroom. Seems to work just fine. (I know I need new end tables in there.)

We have a large ancestor oil painting in the attic. The frame is beautiful, but I think the painting is creepy. I am going to pull it down and see what you all think.

Mtnrdredux- Did you see the RH fixture or was it a different vendor?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That rug is PERFECT in the sunroom! Wow. I would pull it out just enough so that side table is on it entirely. That will also make it look right for pulling that other chair over for sitting is you have a lot of people gathering in there .

What a beautiful room!

You can always replace the picture in the frame. check out fulcrumgallery.com. They have beautiful posters of artwork. Just have them framed with glass over them.

Also, I love that RH chandelier mtndredux put up, and think she's really correct about it being a great combo of traditional and contemporary. Do you think the prisms on it are kind of short though? I'm not sure. That's my instinct. You'd have to have that chandelier pretty low to make it look right, but it would be beautiful.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Here are a couple more chandeliers I think would look beautiful and give you some tradition but with a uniqueness and some newness.

Both would cast beautiful light, the mica warmer, the glass sparklier.
    Expensive, though.

Mica.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And the other, Lucia Chandelier at Lumens.com, $1,530.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 11:28

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I really like the fabric on your sunroom chair, and it reminds me of the wide flowing curves of the tile you were considering for your hutch, so I think it's a shape that appeals to you. Maybe you could start with that shape in mind to help narrow your focus for lighting and rugs, and wallpaper too if you decide to go that route.

• jjam
    10 years ago

I love your DR furniture. The rug is where I would start. Find one you love, and take your time. In the meantime you could experiment with something on the wall above the buffet. A mirror might be a nice "placeholder" while you are looking.

The rug you moved into the sunroom is one of my all time favorites from Karastan. You could probably find a vintage Karastan 8 x 10 on CL or ebay. They really do wear like iron.

What a wonderful project! You have such a great start.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Depending on where you live, you should be able to get a great deal on a Karastan rug or something foreign at The Dump. It's where I've bought all my rugs, including the only Karastan I used in my traditional dining room renovation which was about $800 at The Dump for a 8.5' x 10.5'. Good luck, and my post in my remodel may offer you some help.

(No this is not a plug, it's just me offering advice to those who may not frequent stores like The Dump because of the mass produced case goods and upholstery they have when, a lot of times, they have insane deals on what would otherwise be expensive rugs. The problem is that there aren't many locations.)

• Jules
    10 years ago

Beautiful sunroom. Rug looks nice there, and I agree with pulling it out more.

The colors and patterns from the pillows and chair fabric in the sunroom would also work well in your dining room. I have a rug in mind ... I'll see if I can track it down.

Hopefully you can use that chandy somewhere else. I'd personally paint it and try my best to use it.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin- Where in the heck have you been??? We do have a Dump in Hampton, or at least we did at one point, which is about a twenty minute drive as I live in Yorktown. I completely forgot about them carrying Karastan! I do remember that fab rug you picked up for your dining room though!

FWIW- The dining set is from Colonial Williamsburg's Reserve line by Stickley. (The table and sideboard, not the chairs). Stickley is not longer manufacturing the Williamsburg Reserve line, so once the CW warehouse is depleted, the line can only be purchased second hand.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hi, I saw the RH one in person and thought it was gorgeous. I don't know if the knock offs use a lesser quality prism, but how much do prisms cost anyway? The RH one seems wayyyy overpriced to me.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Your sunroom is to die for... Love it all, especially the pillows.
    Can't wait to see the painting. I think your DR paint is lovely, BTW.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Just *love* your DR set and the rug bocron posted! Because of your stated rug colorway preference the wall paint or paper color will be even more important in warming the somewhat cooler palette...but, mmmm!- it's going to look great! Post completion pics will be needed!!!

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Getting engaged, busy at work, and zero ongoing renovations have lefty with few questions and little insight to offer!

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin- That is great to hear~ best wishes to you both!

• crl_
    10 years ago

Kevin, congratulations!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Not sure whether these would work, but I saw them IRL at West Elm, and they looked really warm and glowing.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 18:03

• User
    10 years ago

I was just at The Dump in Virginia Beach, or it might have actually been in Norfolk, so there's that store, if there's not one in Hampton. They had a nice selection. I wouldn't change the wall color yet -- I think it's very pretty and will look great once you warm the room up with art work, a new rug, and new fabric on the seats.

• User
    10 years ago

I did notice though, when looking at The Dump's rugs online, that the Hampton Roads offerings are not as good as Philadelphia and other larger cities. There are still some nice ones, though. Seems like every rug I really, really liked was not available here. But still worth checking out.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus -- Aged Bronze chandelier

• teacats
    10 years ago

Or this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- another chandelier

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, that second one is really cool. What does IRL stand for? Thanks!

• teacats
    10 years ago

IRL -- In Real Life

And yes!! those are really cool chandeliers!!! :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Never heard of them!

why can't I find it on Google? Do you have a link?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 19:36

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I think the room has great bones (and I like the paint color) but i think it could use a hefty dose of texture to warm it up - maybe some heavily textured pillows in the host chairs (I love the Mongolian lamb pillows from west elm) and maybe a big fern or fig tree. I think when adding new elements it would be good to ask if they add texture to the room - I think it will really help to bring the room to life and cozy it up.

(I had to work to deformalize and warm up my DR a few years back and one of my favorite additions was an oversized all white modern mobile - not for everyone I know - but it added a good dose of whimsy to the room - just think about what you love and don't hesitate to add it)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Love your furniture! A nice gold(not sunflower!)would be a great contrast to the gray. Recover the chairs in a gold fabric, an ivory container w/gold Ranaculas on the table, maybe a few prints w/gold matting.

Here's an idea..............

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• teacats
    10 years ago

Possible artwork?

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- van gogh -- almond branches

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

RL rug.......beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: gold rug

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If you keep the rug in the sunroom, consider turning it at an angle to break up all the 90 degree angles in this room.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Have to disagree on the rug at an angle. The picture above with the triangle sticking out behind the sectional looks silly to me and does nothing for the room. Like someone tried to be different, just for the sake of it, and it didn't quite work.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Sorry, Tibbrix, it was a typo (IRL AT West Elm not AND ). The second chandelier also came in a different shape.

However, they are no longer available online, but they had them in the store on sale. The are called the Panorama Chandeliers.

Here's another one:

This one's available online.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Thanks cool mom (aka, nosoccermom),

Hmmmâ¦not sure about the last one you put up. I think this one from West Elm is neat, though. I'm definitely into rustic. Modern is definitely not my style. But I think this chandelier is interesting.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you all think of this one for the room? (Robert Abbey Bling Chandelier)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Just saw that West Elm is again selling the Panorama Chandelier (399.00).

Here is a link that might be useful: Panorama chandelier at West Elm

• belindaoliver
    9 years ago

Probably the most frustrating thing about archos, android phones, Zunes not to mention the iPods and iPhones is the fact that they have no movie or DVD converter supplied with them. Or the ones you need to do get are bad.

Here are 5 Either get the video in avi or divx format, this is often completed with a torrent downloader. Or should you have the film subsequently put it into your pcs rom drive.

1. Choose the solution to fit your system, many converters possess a set of devices to pick from such as for example android, iPhone, psp, ipad, zune, the record continues on.

2. Hit the convert button and with regards to the period of the movie wait for about five minutes each hour of video.

3. simple to follow actions to place films on your portable media player or mobile phone.

4. Get a great avi, DVD converter and install it on your desktop. Be cautious here as a lot if these contain spyware, more about that later.

5. Lots of people complain that films on their iPhone or ipod itouch have choppy playback, the reason being they have arranged the framerate improper. Plenty of movie converters might be over difficult with adjustments for frame rate, mpeg production and much more. Try to stay away from these because they usually takes an hour of assessment to only put up.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVI