Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Update & Progress Pics on DD's Vintage/Shabby BR

Valerie Noronha
14 years ago

I wanted to share with you my progress on my 8-year-old DD's vintage/shabby bedroom. Also, to thank everyone for their suggestions and feedback so far--esp. in regards to painting furniture which is a new undertaking for me.

Since my last post we purchased on CL an iron daybed with popup trundle, a Victorian desk chair and two new nightstands (just today). While I liked the other nightstand it was a few inches too wide and I also decided that I wanted to flank the daybed with matching nightstands. I still feel bad I did not act quick enough on a desk I had asked for feedback last week. I realize I should've gone with my first instinct to just get it--as it was a perfect match--both style and size. While I've seen other desks since then either they are too large or not that pretty. I may still end up using what we have if I cannot find anything better.

This is the dresser before along with the old nightstand. I am trying to find a spot for the nightstand elsewhere as I really like it, just not for this space.

We choose to paint the walls BM Jamacian Aqua and the furniture BM Satin Impervo Bavarian Cream. DD picked out the Dotty WTs. I was a bit unsure of them at first, but she likes them--hope they look OK. So far, all I've painted is the highboy which turned out to be quite a learning experience, but I think it turned out well. Between the previous paint job and mine, the drawers eneded up sticking and in one place not even fitting so I had to then sand down all the edges and then do a light finish coat. Now I know to be careful painting the drawers! As for the original pulls, I think they were a thin chrome plate over some type of metal. As the chrome had worn away in places, I decided to use Rustoleum on them in a Satin Nickel.

Here is the little Victorian chair I purchased for $20 on CL. It was kinda beat up/ratty looking and I wasn't too sure I wanted it so I ended up bargining the seller down from $45, then after that I visited an antique store on my way home and say similar chairs for $125. Does anyone have any fabric suggestions for the seat?

Next I plan to paint the nightstands while I continue to check out CL for other desk/antique vanity options.

Meanwhile I could use some feedback on the lamps and the rug. Right now I have both a lime and aqua lamp; though I've also thought about a clear candlestick lamp with a different shade.. I'm thinking now of putting a lamp on each nightstand to keep the look symmetrical. Nightstands willl be painted white. Pls. vote which lamp looks better, assuming the white nightstands, or suggest something else.

Next, I've narrowed it down to two chenille/cotton washable rugs from Overstock.com: one lime, one an aqua/blue color. Size will be 4x6 centered in front of daybed. Pls. vote on that as well.

Comments (36)

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love everything so far.
    I would go with the lime green rug and lamps since there is enough blue-aqua on walls.
    That victorian chair is lovely. It would be a shame to paint it. Maybe you could use it in another room as is and then find DD another white chair for her desk.

• meghnjosh
    14 years ago

Wow....It looks really good. Great job :)

I vote for the lime lamp. Though my first instinct was the aqua lamp but I am afraid it blends too much into the wall. I like the blue/aqua rug and think that would be a better fit for the room. Lime might be too much of a contrast.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I love your creativity!
    Those are great colors.

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

Love it, all of it! Lime lamps, definitely! The blue just fades away. Those night stands are great, they fit just perfectly! Did you find them on CL too? Not sure about the rug, maybe the blue, as maybe the lime would be too many contrasting items?

Can't wait to see it all done! Oh, almost forgot to add that the dresser looks great!

• User
    14 years ago

Oh I love the way it's turning out, very cute! That bedding is perfect. The night stands look great!

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Val
    LOVE what you have done, my you have been busy!

Great job on everything really -

What about both rugs! The room is saying FUN, keep it FUN -
    Can you purchase any of the bedding separately? I would purchase a sham or pillow case & cover the chair - If the chair is used a lot you will just have to cover again sooner than if you had upholstery grade fabric

If not, Amy Butler has some lovely fabrics that may work

Here is a link that might be useful: amy butler fabrics

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Everything is looking so nice so far and really coming together.

For the chairs you ask about, I would go with a solid or a very tiny dot print so as not to distract from the beautiful lines the chair has.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Val, it's coming together so beautifully! I bet your daughter is so very happy. Did you ask her which lamp and rug she likes the best? She already showed great vision by choosing the sheer dotted tab tops. They soften the corners wonderfully!
    As for the covering the chair I'd buy a package of the small heart on white pillow slips and use one of them.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

great progress! I like the lamps as they are now and agree that the bedding fabric would be good on the chair. Another alternative is to use one of susan sargent's lime dots for a simple fabric(see below). She makes a lot of her fabrics in indoor/outdoor fabric, which might be good. Another idea for the rug is to pic up on the cool pewter color that you have going on (with the dresser pulls and curtain rod) and the room's round shapes by using a round silver rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: susan sargent fabric

• User
    14 years ago

It all looks so sweet. I bet that is one very happy little girl. And she has a very talented Momma. c

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Lime lamps and lime rug. The room looks great!

I love those chairs. Here they are around $60 - $100 in the antique stores, so you got a good buy! I have seen one painted white and then lightly antiqued and while I am a wood person, it looked great and I think yours will too. I am not one to paint wood very often, especially an antique, but these chairs are easy to find and you paid so little, I'd go for it. I think a small dot such as dilly suggested would be adorable!

tina

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Another vote for lime lamps and lime rug. The trundle daybed is a wonderful idea and looks fantastic. Your DD did a great job picking out those dotted curtains, they look fun and perfect with what you're doing. I absolutely love the fun, feathered lamp shades! The chair is perfect for the room, too, and would look great with any type of patterned fabric that matches the aqua/lime colorway. Are you wanting ideas for that fabric choice? I'd love to search for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: This link has some neat dotted fabrics

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

It looks great! I really liked that dresser when it was blue, but it looks even prettier in the creamy white. Your daughter made a good choice with the dotted WT.

I vote for the green lamp and rug - they contrast well with the wall where the blue lamp blends in.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the compliments and suggestions--esp. for the chair fabric. I'll be taking a look at the links. While I like the idea of incorporating some of the bedding, I'd prefer a sturdier fabric. A small dot or diamond in lime sounds nice.

DD's votes are lime lamps definitely, prefers the blue rug and, surprise, surprise, she likes the nightstands as-is. She said they compliment the dotted WTs better plus her white iHome. Usually I am like Tina and prefer not to paint wood furniture; which is why I am deliberatly not choosing any high-end antiques. One of the nightstand tops probably needs refinishing, though may be able to get by with Restore-A-Finish. Still I think I prefer to paint them white as it gives to room a more light, airy and spacious feeling--esp. with them tucked away in each corner as they are. However, if others agree with DD I'll reconsider.

I forgot to mention that I have a couple of bolster inserts that I am planning to make covers for and put on either end of the bed--sort of like armrests. The bedding is a bed-in-the-bag, though I bought two sets to have an extra for the trundle. Which was a good thing as I didn't realize the bed skirt wasn't made for a daybed so then I cut off one end of the other skirt and sewed it on to the first one so all four sides are skirted. So, I do have a bit of extra material left over from the 2nd bedskirt which is what I'm planning to use to cover the bolsters. I do need a contrasting piece in the middle--perhaps the same as the chair cushion.

Regarding the paint, I tried out the Aura paint for the first time. I'm not sure if it's the aura or the color or what, but it seems to look different in different light.... not at all dark in any light.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I resold all of her furniture on CL and am coming in about even--excluding the cost of paint and sweat effort.

lyban: There really is no other place for the chair in my house. It's hard to tell but it's a bit dinged up in a few areas which is why I almost did not buy it and why I'm leaning towards painting it. I could, however, do a combo of painted and stained for her desk/chair. Similar to what we have now, but with the sides painted white.

Here was the desk I wanted and lost.

I'm still hoping I can find an antique vanity and use as a desk, but the ones I've seen since then are too large.

mary_lu: Yes, I found these nightstands on CL also. It was fortunate the guy sold them to me as he was originally selling them as part of a bedroom set, but hadn't had any offers yet so agreed to sell me just the nightstands.

jejvtr: Both rugs? FUN is what I'm aiming for! I'll take a look at the fabric website to see if anything grabs me.

justgottabeme: DD likes the lime lamps and blue rug. She envisions more of an aqua room with lime and white accents. You know I did not like the dotted WTs until after I painted the walls. I just could not visualize it all with the hot pink walls. But DD kept saying she wanted the "dotty drapes." Then she said, my choice had too much aqua in it and didn't contrast enough with the walls (though it did look cute with the bedding). She was right, tho.

dilly_dally: Like the tiny dot suggestion.

delta: I really like the lime dotted fabric. Or perhaps small diamonds?

nanny2a: I love to see what you think would work well fabric-wise.

juddgirl2: I also liked the orig. seafoam; but DD said she wanted aqua walls and white furniture so went with that. I picked three shades of aqua and she made the final choice, then I picked the Bavarian Cream.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

susan sargent also makes a lime colored swirl pattern (called cartwheel if I remember correctly). I love her fabrics and colors. It might be the look you are trying fo.

• loribee
    14 years ago

How FUN!
    What a great room for a little girl...love the lime accents!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Val, love what you have done! Your DD must be thrilled! I too prefer the lime lamps against the pretty blue wall. Paint the chair white! It is a perfect desk chair, very sweet. As for fabric choices, I would go with something quiet, but still keeping the colors of the room.

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I love the colors! I also vote for the lime lamp. The aqua disappears in the walls. Also lime on the rug. I'm not any good with fabric selection for the chair, (having my own problems, there, LOL!), but when you get everything painted, it will look awesome (as my 7yr old dd would say :-) ).

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Definitely the green lamp! The aqua blends too much with the wall. The green is a nice contrast and picks up the green in the comforter.
    Lynn

• bac717
    14 years ago

I love the bedding and the window treatments. I thinking painting the furniture white was a good move. As for the nightstands, I guess you can always wait on that until the room is more pulled together and then make a decision. Is there any way you can put pillows on the bed, but see more of the scrolly back? Or is it just so-so and doesn't matter?

At first, I thought I'd rather see the chair left in the wood tone, but after reading your desciption of the condition of the it, I guess it should be painted. Perhaps after you've painted it white, you can go back with some of the aqua paint and highlight some of the details in the chair, like the lines on the upper back and the middle of the back. Just a thought.

I'm curious about the blinds at the window. Are they wood and if so, how wide are they? I'm thinking about replacing the miniblinds we have in our bedroom and am considering a wood blind. Our window seems to be a similar size to your daughter's and I like the look you have. Thanks.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I returned the aqua lamps today and put a second lime one on order. I'm still debating between the lime and aqua rugs. Another consideration is that DD also has a lime storage ottoman in her room that she wanted to keep.

I don't think the lime rug and ottoman compliment each other, though I did see an aqua one for sale at Salvation Army--though it's not as pretty as DD's. I do, however, need to clean hers up if we decide to keep it in the room or perhaps it's too ratty looking and I should donate it. Be honest! Does this change anyone's rug vote or should I just get rid of the ottoman.

Now, if I do go for the lime rug, should I then choose an aqua dot/swirl for the chair fabric instead of a lime dot/swirl?

bac717: Here is a pic of the daybed frame.

While it's very pretty, it's not that comfortable without the pillows behind. I'm actually thinking of adding more pillows, a couple of bolsters and accent pillows. As for the window, it's 70" wide and yes they are wood blinds. Just a caution that they are heavier than mini-blinds--esp. with a wider window. I think mine are real wood, but faux wood is lighter. We put them in at the end of our remodel--so many decisions I can't recall what I choose, but if raising/lowering very day is impt. then I'd opt for the lighter weight ones. We actually leave ours down most the time, just adjust the tilt.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention that I found another aqua rug I like better at jcp.com today. It's also washable nylon with a latex backing. Also slightly smaller 3'6"x5'6" which should be OK since her room is only 10x10.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP Rug

• bac717
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pic of the bed without the pillows and for the info on the blinds.

The bed is pretty, but I do understand the whole comfort thing! If you're going to add more pillow, perhaps some in white trimmed in either the aqua or green would be nice.

Our window is 72" wide and the blind does stay in the lowered position almost all the time. Could you tell me how wide the slats are on your blind? Thanks.

That aqua rug from JCP seems like a great color for the room. If you do something with the lime storage ottoman (can you recover it? I love the size and shape and the pleats around the side), I think it would look great on an aqua rug. Another plus about the rug from JCP is that it would be a lot easeir to return if it doesn't work out.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

How about recovering the ottoman in the same fabric that you do the chair. Also for a rug, would you consider a light colored FLOR, with a half Flor tile border in a matching stripe? Something like their Needlepoint Stripe in Brook. I tend to worry about small rugs in a bed room becoming a tripping hazard(unless the rug is flat and steady).

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bac714: The blinds are 2" wide and I purchased them from JC Penneys. They have several different types as well as shades of white.

delta: I've ruled out FLOR for DD's room--both because they don't have the colors I want and because I think it'd be overkill when all I want is a 4x6 area rug. If I go with one of the overstock rugs then I would get a rug mat to put below so it won't skid. The JCP rug has a latex backing so I don't think the mat would be needed.

I took a look at some of the fabrics linked by nanny2b and liked the following:

Small lime dots:

Small aqua dots:

Large lime dots (dot is same size as dots on WTs):

large aqua dots:

spring rain (dots are 2" in diameter):

I was thinking either aqua rug/lime chair cushion or lime rug/aqua chair cushion.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Val, your daughter was right on the curtains and the lamps. I'd go with her on the rug too. I think the aqua at JCP looks like it would match better.
    My Mom allowed me to make decisions in my own bedrooms and those times are some of my most cherished memories I have of things we did together. She trusted my taste and taught me to have no fear in my need to create and be "me". She never tried to control the outcome and never let me know if she ever thought my ideas were "wrong" in her opinion.
    You've already said your daughter loves to draw and make things. She has a creative mind. Don't hold her back. Colors of rugs, curtains or lamps can't hurt her. Giving her freedom in choosing these things can only encourage her creativity and give her the confidence she needs as she grows up. You'll both be blessed because of it.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I like the small lime dots.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

justgottabeme: That is a very sweet story about your Mom. DD seems to enjoy having my attention on her room--sometimes before she'd get annoyed when I spent so much time on "decorating." What I am doing is sifting through the myriad of choices to 1-3 choices which I think are acceptable in terms of cost, color and durability and have let her make the final choice. Having this forum as a sounding board to determine the options is very helpful, but for the most part I try to let her make the choices. The JCP rug is a tad smaller than I'd like, though bac717 brought up a good point that with JCP returns are not a problem. I may actually work from the chair fabric backwards and see which fabric she chooses then choose the opposite color for the rug since we have two options.

One concern I have with the dotted fabrics is that they are all 100% cotton--and perhaps not the most durable choice for the seat cushion. Here are some of the ones from the Susan Sargent line I thought could work. The first two are woven and look to be of a heavier weight.

cartwheel: 54% cotton, 46% polyester, woven jacquard

medley: 60% cotton, 40% rayon, woven

linen dot: 100% cotton, printed

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Before I show DD the fabric choices, pls. let me know if you think there are any that DONT work. I'm guessing DD might choose the spring rain fabric--which looks quite similar to her center pillow cushion. I'm not sure if it'd be too much color or not. I do want to also a bit of the fabric for her bolsters, together with the striped bed skirt fabric.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks Val. I almost chose the Spring Rain. It would look neat for the chair cover.
    Have you been to a local fabric store to look at fabrics in person? That way you could feel them and see how strong they are.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

What a lucky girl. And what a fun room.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

given that the bedding design is strong, my preference would would be be a quieter pattern (one of the dots or, my favorite, the cartwheel). But any would work. . .

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Oh, her room is looking fantastic! As so many others have said, her dotted WT's were a great choice. I agree w/ the lime lamp choice and I think either color will be fine for the rug. I love that little chair, too--it will look darling painted white. You did a wonderful job on the dresser and hardware, by the way!

Keep up the great work--glad you and your dd are enjoying the decorating process together :-)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DD chose the lime rug:

with the large aqua dot fabric:

Stay tuned for future updates after we make some more changes.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm thinking of changing the hardware on her desk since what she has now doesn't really go with her highboy and nightstands. I'm thinking vintage glass knobs, though would need to fill in the holes for her pulls.

What do you think of this paired with the aqua dot chair fabric?

They also sell a pull I could use for the two bottom drawers instead of switching to all knobs:

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I don't know if valinsv will come back to this thread, but I just found the first photo in a google search. I love the look of your daybed and nightstands. I really love the lamps and would like to know if you bought them like that or did a makeover on them.