Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting back of china cabinet

Posted by sloyd (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 16:17

I have a built in 30's China Cabinet, and wondering if I should paint the back walls of the cabinet white, or the same color of the walls which are BM Hawthorne Yellow. Have it torn apart now, so it is the best time to paint that area?

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting back of china cabinet

I would bring in a third color to the space and paint the back of it that color.

o

I completely agree -bring in a third color

o

I like the idea of a third color, but I'd not paint the back of the cabinet unless it's wallboard. I'd use paint foam core cutting to fit inside the cabinet. Much easier to redo at a later date. No taping off. You can even cover the foam core with anaglypta wallpaper before painting it.

o

The back of the cabinet is plasterboard. What would a third color be, above the chair rail is the hawthorne yellow, below is a caponata (purple).

o

Is there a fabric that will be used in the room? Maybe one of those colors.

Or maybe one of the colors of the china, if it has a decorative pattern.

o

Fabric is what I was also going to suggest - I have done this and it was a lot of fun (I taped it onto heavy cardboard with batting and cut it to size so I did not have to commit) I have also used swank wrapping paper as well as wallpaper. I think this a great space to do something a little more dramatic or whimsical.

o

Agree with painting or wallpapering or upholstering a foam core board instead of the actual cabinet back. Since you have two different wall colors I would probably go with a wallpaper pr fabric. It's a chance to use some thing really distinctive because you've just got a small bit of it.

o

With plasterboard being the backing you could use the spray starch method to apply fabric. Ofcourse not seeing the actual room and china cabinet we all are only guessing at what would look best. Would it be possible for you to share a photo?

o

That cabinet sounds beautiful! I have antique furniture in my dining room and instead of paint I went with fine wallpaper. It really accentuated the furniture!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wallpaper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here