Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Living room help needed....piano corner doesn't sing

jjam
15 years ago

I love my piano and use it regularly, but it doesn't seem to connect with the rest of my LR. I turned it into its current position a few months ago (Les suggested it) and I like it while playing as I can see into the room now. But it opened up some new wall space and now I have the top that is currently home to family photos. (I covered them since they didn't want their photos shown on GW) I think it should be able to stand on its own for the most part but somehow I feel it needs something. I'm up for some cosmetic changes to the room in general, but can't see beyond my own stuff right now. Any thoughts?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I know the wall needs something, but more pictures just seem to make the wall look choppy, like I'm just trying to fill a space. What do you think?

Comments (41)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Nice room! Do you have more drape fabric you could "stage" that corner?

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have any more drape fabric, and have been considering new ones so that I could bring more of the drape color in the room. What do you mean by "stage" the corner?

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

Can you move the piano out a bit, and rotate it clockwise a bit also? You'd still be looking out but the piano would project more. Perhaps one horizontally large piece of art on the wall to take up space and not look choppy. The existing piece next to the door frame might be why the corner looks disconnected to you. Can you cover the piano bench in a bright coordinating fabric? Or find a more colorful lamp? Put a sheet of music on the stand that has a colorful cover. The whole room looks wonderful to me.

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks andee, great suggestions. I can't move th piano at all without lots of help so i'll try turning it a little next time I have some extra hands. The piano bench is one of those very expensive ones that can adjust in height, covered in leather, but I'm the only one who uses it, and I'd love some color there. I'll ask my uphostery guy about it. I see what you mean about a single horizontal piece; trouble is I just don't have one that I love, and I don't want to put something up just to have something there. But I will keep it in mind. In the meantime, a colorful lamp could be done with a single trip to Homegoods or Tuesday Morning, so that can happen. Oh, I ususally do have music on the stand. I'm a singer and I use it to practice all the time. Can't believe there wasn't any music on it today!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Could you make or buy a pretty screen (like a room divider) that would back into the corner and provide a spot of color?

I love Chinoiserie, so put a link to some below...Of course you could just use a frame and add your own fabric for color, if you wanted. I have an old one in my basement that I wallpapered many years ago, to give you another idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinoiserie screens

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My3Dogs, what a great idea. I can picture a screen there and I know it would look wonderful..just not sure if I have the space. The corner has just enough room for someone to sit and play comfortably, so I don't think a screen would fit. I'd have to move the piano out more from the wall and that would crowd the seating area, I think. But I'll keep it in mind. If I had a very small one, it might work. I did have a floor lamp in the corner there and there is enough room for that; I took it out because I had a table lamp that needed a home and I put it on the piano. Maybe I'll revisit that idea with a colorful shade. Thanks for your ideas, and if you have any other thoughts, let them fly! Love your house, btw.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I was thinking of repeating the window treatment on the piano walls like stage drapes, or with lighting under sheers with the drapes on each side. May I thank you for having your piano face the room, as a singer, I strongly dislike pianos facing the wall with our backs to the room and guests. Every time I see a piano, my first thought is please turn it to the room so I was thrilled to see it already done, that's a first!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Beautiful room!

What about moving the gold framed picture from the wall behind the piano and putting a large tapestry there? Maybe picking up on a color that's in your drapes now. I'd hate to see those nice WTs gone. :)

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I got a kick out of all of your veiled photos. LOL Took me a second to realize exactly what I was seeing.

You don't to add more art, you just need much LARGER art. The pieces you have now abvoe your piano aren't able to balance your piano's weight. I have the same problem with my piano too, but nothing large enough to balance it so I often times keep the lid open. I love My3dogs suggestion about the screen, except I would HANG it on the wall where the art (that looks like script) is.

The plant on a stand in front of your window could help soften the corner by your piano.

I think the lamp on top is redundant given that you have a piano lamp. If you take off the scarf, the piano's length will seem longer. Right now it visually chops off your piano. But take into consideration that my personal preference may be skewed by the fact that I dislike clutter on pianos.

Lovely room! I adore your mirror. Is it antique?

• gk5040
    15 years ago

We are getting our new piano next week. I plan on positioning the piano exactly opposite of how you have yours. I know you mentioned you needed help to move it, but I would turn it around....position is out of the corner.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Beautiful room! I really like the rug and the mirror. Actually there isn't anything I don't like! The view of the fireplace in the other room is lovely.

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all.

Bodica, I used to have this piano with the keys out in the room, so you faced the corner. I'm a singer and should have known better! I do prefer it this way and find practicing is much more pleasant.

parma, I love your idea about a tapestry. I agree that the art there is too small but the larger pieces we own are already happy in other rooms, so that has just been passing time on that wall until I could think of something.

paint chips, Your suggestions are great. You are right, the art is too small. I'm going to try removing the lamp, and raising the lid. It may be the solution; although I have to say I've always liked the look of photos, etc, on the piano. But something about this isn't right, so I'll keep experimenting. The mirror is not an antique...but I do love it, too, thanks. I'll post another set of photos when I'm finished

gk, are you placing the keys facing the corner of your room? I'd love to see a photo of that when you get your piano. Congratulations, btw. I think if I do that in my room it will crowd the space where the couch and chairs are, and I'd like to keep that as a conversation area. If I misunderstood you, let me know how you think I should turn the piano.

Cooperbailey, Thank You!

• les917
    15 years ago

Hi, jjam! I am wondering why the piano top isn't open? Doing that would solve part of the visual issue, as the open top would 'fill' some of the wall space behind it.

I would try the floor lamp that is by the chair right now sitting back in the corner behind the bench that would also provide light for the music from over your shoulder. Consider changing the shade to something with more color and texture. Maybe something like this:

black and gold shade

Take the crystal lamp that is on the piano now (which you won't need once you open the top) and put that on the table over on the left wall on the other side of the doorway (the little dropleaf). Take the lamp that is on the dropleaf table and put that over on the open desk by the chair (where the floorlamp was).

I would also switch the two chairs - the caneback looks more like it belongs with the secretary desk.

Take all of your famil photos that were on the piano, frame them in similar color frames, and create a grouping above the dropleaf table. Take the two paintings that are currently there and use them in a grouping with the painting that is currently behind the piano, all on the piano wall . Move the one piece on that wall now (the framed music) to the wall behind the piano bench.

I am also wondering if you can open up the width of your rods to open the drapery panels a bit more, all to the outside of each window so that you don't cover any more window itself.

Finally, I would try pulling the rug out from under the piano leg, and shifting it a bit more toward the seating area, rather than trying to center it in the room. It feels a little off, perhaps, like it doesn't really know whether it is supposed to anchor the seating or the piano.

• lsst
    15 years ago

Here is what I did to balance my grand piano. The walls are a pale green. The photo makes the walls look painted much lighter than they are.
    My grand is a smaller grand at 4 feet 11 so I have room to angle it. In the photo, the doorway is to the left.
    Hope this helps...
    {{!gwi}}

• yborgal
    15 years ago

I would angle the piano so the bench is somewhat in the corner. I do like photos on a piano, but that throw is a tad distracting. Could you eliminate the piano lamp? And would you consider a candlelabra lamp (think Liberace) on the piano rather than the one you have now?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I like the piano corner.
    And I just showed my DH the top photo of your room, I like it so much. He thought it was pretty too. I don't usually show him photos even though there are many rooms here that I like very much.
    There is something about the top photo that draws me in. I could come and "sit a spell" LOL.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

All good advice so far.

Can I add -- when you're done with your rearrangement, see if you can hide the wires under the piano somehow? To me, the wires impact the elegance of the corner...

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Les, Mona, anc Cooper.

Les, I've made a few changes that could be done easily.

Here goes:

{{!gwi}}

I think you are right about switching the chairs. I also have a matching chair to the other brown one; but I've resisted doing that as the chairs not matching seems more interesting to me. The black one does seem to fit with the desk better.

Here are some photos with a grouping of paintings I stole from other rooms. What do you think? I'm constantly moving art around, so all of these have other places they can hang out :) The way they are grouped on the piano wall can be tweaked further; and now wonder if the piano top should be open or closed.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Hope I've covered all the angles; and as you can see, they are all different. With the lid open, the picture wall is hidden from view when seated on the couch, although you can kind of see through it. And, as with many open floor plans, the views from each side are very different.

I think I may need another floor lamp next to the desk. The smaller lamp doesn't give the area enough light IRL.

What do you think?

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

You have a wonderful home.

I like the floor lamp in its former location by the secretary. The black shade competes with the plate collection. That will also solve the lamp redundancy by the piano. Is it that you need another light source in the corner or just wanted to fill the space? If the latter, it should be fine without another lamp. If it is that you require more light, could you try one smaller than the crystal but use the lovely runner from the shot before the piano was repositioned instead on the throw on the piano? Finally, please use a wire twist to roll up the lamp cord(s) so the excess wires don't dangle beyond the piano body.

Enjoy!

The art is lovely, but I'd be inclined to try the larger of the grouping a little lower or to put the smaller of the two on top.

• teacats
    15 years ago

The piano corner looks wonderful! Full of color and life!

Isn't it great when you can "shop" through your own house!!!

Jan (often seen carrying items through the house too -- sometimes in circles -- much to the amusement of my DH!)

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks abundantblessings and Jan, yes, my DH never knows where one accessory or painting will be from one day to the next, although some things eventually find a permanent home. DH is on a business trip this week so I have time to try things out without driving him completely bonkers.

Abundant, I don't really need a light in the corner; but the lamp just seems to soften it some. Otherwise, I've got so many hard edges with the frames on the art, etc. And, yes, I've taken care of those pesky little cords!!

Thanks for your thoughts

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

What a beautiful room, and what a nice problem.

I like the piano lid open all the way. It is a gorgeous piano! and there is nothing as elegant as a grand piano in a room. In order to make it sing, all you need to do now is give it some breathing room. It is too close to the wall. Needs to be brought out a little bit, and then rotated as others have suggested, so that its curves are showed off to their maximum.

Also, with the lid up, I'm not sure you need three pieces of art on the wall. They may be interfering with the beautiful lines of the raised lid.

I also think the rug going only partly under it may be part of the problem... it sort of chops into it the beautiful lines of the piano. Rotating the piano may solve that.

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bigdoglover, and I can finally see what so many have been telling me. I don't have much room there but I think I could turn it just a bit, I've been wondering why my piano doesn't look as nice as so many I've seen....I think I've been just lining it up with the wall. (Like so many other furniture pieces in my home LOL) Trouble is, I need to hire help to come over if I want to move it even a few inches, so I'll probably need to wait a bit, or until I have a few other pieces that need moving. In general, I agree, a beautiful piano doesn't need much else, which is why I was so puzzled that mine didn't look right. Thanks for your thoughts.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

I think just turning it a little would help and I also like the larger picture/grouping on the walls .
    What about adding lights over the pictures- you know the kind in art galleries. Or maybe a couple of wall sconces?

• robin2007
    15 years ago

The pictures look great...I think that helps a lot.

Totally my opinion here, but I think it looks like the piano is pushed into a corner. I would turn it at least a little bit. I know it must be so heavy, and so difficult to turn it a bunch of times to see how you like it.

Maybe next time you have help to move it a bit, you can put it in a bunch of different positions/angles and take a picture at each position. Then you can study the pictures and decide which way you like it best.

Good luck! It's a beautiful piano! I'm completely jealous. I would love a piano of any kind!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

oops was I sleepy this morning! I thought that lssts piano corner was yours and that you had gotten hold of helpers in record time to help you move your piano. I thought wow she works fast! Can you do something like lssts corner? I really thought it was yours!
    And I prefer the chairs as they were. I loved the room in the first photo as I have said. Unless you need to make a bit of room for the piano I wouldnt touch a thing.

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just called my furniture mover and he said he could drop by after work with a buddy and they could turn it for me. So I'm going to try it.....they're not charging me so I have nothing to lose. Will post pics after they come. I think what most of you are suggesting is just a slight angle, right? That is what I am picturing, as I feel like the person playing would be kind of pinned in the corner if I make it a sharp angle. Thanks all

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Personally, I LOVE the way you have the piano placed. The player can see the room, has plenty of space for comfort, there is lots of room for more musicians to the players right without crowding the piano bench space and there is no room space lost to walk around the piano from door to door. It looks to me that any turn will waste space as it fits perfectly next to the wall and the other side will pinch the standing singer/sheet turner. I love how open this feels without crowding the rest of the room. Your piano looks fabulous AND is inviting for function! No one's style is cramped this way.

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

I agree with Bodica; she expressed it perfectly. The piano's placement now is perfect for ease of movement in your room. Also, and just my opinion, but for me the whole point of a grand is its sound, and you're getting a mighty reverberation (with the lid open) from it now, aren't you? So the extra bit from repositioning probably wouldn't matter.

I love the three paintings you added. They give amazing elegance to that corner. You wouldn't be keeping the lid open all the time anyway (dust and "stuff"), so most of the time the paintings are going to be easily visible.

Your room is stunning! A masterful job of decoration!

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, they came and we tried the piano at an angle as many of you have suggested, but it didn't work here. It looked funny to have the piano wall exposed, so that when you entered the room, you looked at a big gap of air with those cords (they are for an attached humidifier and a piano lamp) dangling. They looked like a set of strings attached to the piano and they had to plug in to the wall So I stayed with the arrangement I had. Now I feel I have the right placement for me and for the room. I did have them pull the piano away from the wall just a few inches, so it breathes a bit now, and I do think it looks better.

I'll probably tweak a bit more here and there and will take some more photos during the day tomorrow. Night time photos are always a problem for my camera and flash.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and opinions. If you see anything else that you would like to suggest, I'd love to hear it. Of course, as one of you mentioned, the proper way to place a piano in ANY room IS a delightful problem to have. If any of you are thinking of investing in a piano, don't hesitate. It has given us many years of happiness. When we first bought it, we had no other furniture in the room, and it stayed that way for several years. Furniture styles come and go but a good piano is a classic and we'll have it forever. Thanks again all.

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

Jjam - Aren't you glad that you tried a new look and satisfied your curiosity? I wonder if you'll keep those three lovely paintings on the wall behind the piano. Looking at the photo you posted, coming into the room through the doorway, with the view of the open paino and the pictures - that is really beautiful!

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sable, you are so right. I'm going to bet right now that the piano will stay in that exact spot now for at least ten years, since now I know it's the best arrangement. I find myself tweaking here and there with things, and if something still bothers me, I'll keep fooling with it. But then there comes that "aha" moment and once I'm there I leave it alone.
    I think I'm there with my LR now, except for the paint color.....(don't get me started, LOL) but that's definitely a project for another day!!

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

So glad you found a "harmonious" solution, jjam. Please do post photos of the final solution.

• User
    15 years ago

I am not good at offering advice on furniture arranging - but I do love the new pictures you put on the wall. It does not look busy at all. I also love your patterned draperies and will be looking forward to you posting pics if you decide to change them out!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to respond and that it didnt work to reposition the piano. I will post pics of ours when we get it, I am hoping the end of next week.....could be the beginning of March 9th week. I plan on having the keyboard visible to those who are in the room. So in your situation, i was suggesting the curved part of the paino would be where the key are right now or if you could angle the curved part of the piano into the corner, but your post mentioned there wasnt enough room. I will post a picture as soon as I can:) Does your piano have two lift positions, so you can lower the top of the piano to about 8 inches tall? Usually there are two options to opening the lid.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I love your room and love the changes you've made. The bigger paintings look great by the piano. I don't like the piano top up, though, as it blocks your art. I would get a fancier piano shawl, something with more color than your other one.

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all, no photos yet as I've come down with a bad cold; taking a decorating timeout. Right now I'm sitting in the LR with a fuzzy bathrobe and some hot tea. But sometimes a couple of days to let things settle is a good thing.

GK, I'm looking forward to seeing your piano. Mine used to be turned so that the keys were visible in the room. It has its advantages, for sure. Awhile back I posted here with another question about the Living room, and Les suggested I look at turning it the way it is now. I hadn't thought of doing it that way, and once I tried it, I really like it especially from the viewpoint of the person playing or singing. Now I have a view of the outside instead of looking up into a corner, and it's wonderful. Whatever you decide, when you have your piano delivered, I'd advise trying it a couple of different ways while you have the movers there. I can't wait to see your pics; I'm sure it will be beautiful, and what a wonderful addition to your life! Oh, and I'm going to check into a way to raise the height to a different level. Right now mine has two settings; one very high, and another about 4 or 5 inches. I'd love something in between, and it looks like the piece that holds the top up is something you just screw into place. So maybe there is one that would allow me to keep it raised but just not so high.

Thanks jenny, bigdog, and oceanna. I appreciate your interest and kind words. Oceanna, I do like your suggestion about a more colorful piano shawl. If I go back in that direction I will definitely try something else. I agree that when the lid is raised it's not the best for seeing the artwork, although that view is only a problem when you view it from a sitting position.
    When you are standing up or walking around, the art shows up better. I do love the three paintings there now and will most likely keep them on that wall. The painting of the young lady used to be in my kitchen, and I miss her there, so she may go back eventually. So that wall is probably in play......(LOL) as you said in one of your other posts, it really never ends, does it?

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Jjam, I've seen some exquisite shawls on eBay, including some antique ones (those get fought over). If you get one and it doesn't work out, you can always use it as a table topper, a window topper, or a Jjam topper. :o)

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Jjam, I finally got my piano and figured out how to get around the photobucket issues. Here is the piano pics I promised several weeks back. Hope you read this.

• jjam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gk, Your piano is gorgeous! And you have a perfect spot for it. Your room really shows off the piano's beautiful lines, and you can see it from all sides. I love the way the person playing it would have such a beautiful view to the outside. It is a lovely room. I'm sure you will enjoy your piano for many years to come. Congratulations!

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Now that piano is singing a GRAND tune!!!! Fabulous looking! The piano is the star of the room now rather than a wallflower as it was before. I can just see a lovely wine and cheese party with someone playing the piano and everyone clapping for the performance.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County