Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Show me your tuxedo sofa. Is it comfortable?

pps7
11 years ago

I'm thinking of making some improvements to our library. It needs to be a bit more functional.

Here is an older picture of the room. The shelves are a bit more organized now :). The painting, rug, wall color and curtains are staying for now.

Here is an inspiration picture:
{{!gwi}}

I want the room to function as a flex room. We have a very open floor plan for our kitchen/diing/family room area so this can be a bit of a retreat. It can be a reading room. Plus DH uses it as a listening room. He has a record player, cd player and an amplyfier that needs to stay in the room along with the 2 speakers. I would like to use it as a formal dining room on ocaasion as well.

Here are my ideas:

Buy a side table to store components and move the components to the corner that is to the right of the window.

Something like this:
{{!gwi}}

Put the leather chair that is under the paintingin front of the window (opposite the other leather chair).

Buy a tuxedo apartment sofa to tuck into the niche. The niche is 72" wide. I was thinking of using a tuxedo soda bc the sides are high. I like to use it as a chaise and create a nice lounging/reading space.

Here is one from Lee industries that's a top contender. I was thinking in a camel colored fabric.
{{!gwi}}

The room needs lamps. Any other suggestions?

Comments (16)

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Although I can't show you a picture, we have a tuxedo sofa in our den, and I wouldn't want anything else. Ours has two loose back bolsters, which creates a nice wide space on which our two cats can snooze. Furthermore, those high arms do make it easy to pile pillows against them, which eases my back and gives me great comfort for reading and napping. It also has that single cushion, which is very comfortable. I turn the cushion every so often so that it doesn't get a deep groove in one spot.

• dlfrun66
    11 years ago

Love the bookshelves!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I think it would be lovely!

• sochi
    11 years ago

I absolutely love that couch! I have one similar and it is very comfortable. I'm now considering the one you show for my bedroom. Love it.

• pps7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Sorry for all the typos. Any ideas on the color of the sofa?

I don't love the wall color, but I feel a little trapped. I would love to do a coral color but that im not sure how that will look. The decor of the rest of the house is more light and airy. Maybe a terra cotta color will work.

I have a tufted settee in the family room in a flax color and I want this sofa to be distinct.

Now I need to find a place to order the sofa and look over fabric swatches. I would prefer to see it in person

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

I can't help you with the tuxedo sofa question, but I wanted to mention that I love your two leather recliners (they are recliners aren't they?) Are they comfortable? Could you tell me what manufacturer they are?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love your library- it's a little oasis, and the sofa in that book nook will be perfect. I think your plan is good and I like the side table you chose too.

Since the painted area is so small, why not just try your coral and see how it looks? You can always repaint it if it doesn't look good.

• pps7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Valinsv, sorry, they are not recliners.

How about a wall color similar to this:

Not sure, as I want to keep the room masculine.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

pps7 your room is just gorgeous. I agree with hosenemesis - it is a small area, maybe just try painting it? or a big sample board. I think it would look lovely one of those colors. I might want to pick out the sofa fabric first though.

Can you tell me where that table is from? I just love it.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Tuxedo sofa - LOVE
    Your inspiration photo is, well - almost exactly what you have. You won't have to do a whole lot to attain that look. Which is a plus.

As far as color - be careful with coral. If you keep it a deep coral, yes. But you don't want to go too close to the tone of your floor. We have wood floors in a very similar stain, and finding the right wall color was hard for us. What ended up looking great were blues. A nice rich blue against those built-ins with your camel colored sofa would be beautiful.

I took a chance on blue in our LR and I must tell you, it looks fabulous.

We have about 8 pieces from Lee Industries. I would never buy case goods from anyone else.

Love the table for the components. Sometimes it's hard to find something good-looking and functional. I guess the turn table would need to go on the top for access, correct? If not, then putting a nice vase or something would look nice.

Please post when you're finished!

• pps7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janice,

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

What do you guys think of this sofa?

It is $670 vs Lee Industries 3K. I know the quality of the Lee will be much better.Plus I strongly prefer the single cushion. But the price on this one is pretty nice.

And I found this lamp and would love to get a pair. They are pricey too so trying to decide to splurge on the sofa or lamps?

Decisions!

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I'm all about those lamps. LOVE them. I really like introducing a contemporary piece or two in a traditional room. (they look like currey and company)

As for the sofa - how much do you plan on using it?

We have had our Lee sectional for 13 years. We use it every day - and it's still as comfortable today as it was when we bought it.

I justify the Lee expense because their styles tend to be classic -- and you will have them forever. Made in USA - excellent customer service.

Not sure where you are, but my dealer always gives me 25% off the purchase price.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I would go for the better sofa (although I prefer double sitting cushions as they're longer lived- more flipping action) but as far as lamps, if you have to wait awhile to get what you want- save up more money- then I would do that. Those are nice lamps though!

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

I really enjoy your room. I like the tuxedo style, but I don't like either sofa's legs for this room. I'd like to see something leggier with a touch more grace, perhaps with tiny casters.

I've linked a sofa from Cisco Brothers / John Derian

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa

• pps7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have a few more pics to share. I went to home decoraters to look at the sofa in person.

It comes in 3 colors and is really the only one that would work. I'm not quite sure though bc it's got a green undertone. I would describe it as pewter.

This is the sofa. I would get the loveseat.

Pictures of swatch on room. It's darker than it seems on the photo.

Janine, the rest of our house is a bit more contemporary so I'm trying to tie this room together. Still drooling over the lamps. In all honesty, the room won't we used that much.

This post was edited by pps7 on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 15:30

• pps7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all ! I decided to wait for now. I think what's bothering me about the Lee one is that the cushion is top stichted and not self welted. But I think I can specify that when I buy.

This one from Jonathan Adler is very nice and I like the bolster cushions, legs and frame. It's only 65" though. I'd like to be closer to 70" as the opening is 72". Any experience with Jonathan Adler? How is hte quality? Is it customizable? Will they do 70"

Here is a link that might be useful: Lampert loveseat

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm