Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Kittinger Sofa--Yes or No?

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

Found this at a consignment store today. Kittinger sofa. I hate the plaid, just not me. But very clean straight lines it might be something I could tackle. The cushions were not too comfy, maybe complete redo them? It is 70" long.

Any idea of the value?

Should I snatch it up for $129?

Need answers quickly!!
thank you!

Comments (37)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Only if you have a place for it!

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

I think you will kick yourself if you don't give it a go! I purchased this old Kittinger chair from Craigslist for a song. Had it reupholstered, but wish it had the legs your sofa has!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have called and put it on hold until tomorrow at 6pm. This is giving me a chance to "think" about it.

I'm thinking I'm getting it!

I have an empty sitting room off my bedroom, still. This is such a petite size it might be perfect.

I do love the legs.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

bee, great bones as they say! I think the style would fit your decorating style perfectly. If you have a spot for it, then I say go for it!

• teeda
    10 years ago

I vote YES! Love the lines, you could do something truly amazing with it.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Love it! Maybe a bench cushion?

• roarah
    10 years ago

My grandmother had a 1930 sofa, camel back with a single cushion, I wish I took it when she passed away. 60 years later the sofa held up beautifully, I was still in school and my mom passed on it:(. The Whitehouse has Kittinger furniture.

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

You have such a great eye- you could probably make a killing reworking these treasures and selling them.

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

You have a spot for it?!?!!! By all means grab it up. It will be wonderful with pillows.

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

Go for it! It's great!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I have a Kittinger sofa that is absolutely wonderful. I don't think they ever give up being the best sofa ever. Get it!

By the way, Sparklebread, the fabric on your chair is wonderful.

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Good genes - Kittinger, no less. Good bones Good price. Grab it. Looking forward to seeing it all dressed up!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Bee, there are a couple of Kittinger sofas on eBay now. Not the style of YOURS, but one is looking for a starting bid of $1030 and another starts at $8000.

• User
    10 years ago

I love it in the plaid! That's close to my mothers family tartan :-)

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Interesting info from a company that specializes in pre-owned Kittinger furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Elmwood Company

• User
    10 years ago

What an interesting company! Obviously they have strong ties to the company history and employees. I wonder if the two partners are relatives? Lovely furniture, but the plaid sofa is more versatile and certainly loads less expensive than the stuff sold by the restoration company. Great deal!

• Jules
    10 years ago

I adore this sofa and would have miles of fun decorating an entire room around it!

What pattern are you thinking about recovering it with?

• jjam
    10 years ago

OMG, I don't think I'm adding anything new here, but my goodness, YES!!! I'd also be checking out that consignment store regularly. Lucky you!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

That's Campbell Black Watch Tartan material, in the close up it looks like real wool!
    Casey

• three3apples
    10 years ago

Get it!!!!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

arapaho, I emailed them. I got the typical answer about "even if the sofa is free a good upholstery job is going to be $1500, so is it a good deal to you?" "Essentially you are buying a wooden frame".

He said there was nothing remarkable about the piece to make it of any special value and reupholstering it would not devalue it.

Then I got all worried about bed bugs. I mean, it's going to come home and sit in my basement until I get to it. What if? Yikes. I like it, I would love to tackle it. But...what if....?

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I am in love! I never seem to find items like this. I would keep the plaid though. :)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Is the back a low as it looks? If it is, it wouldn't be comfortable for sitting/relaxing ... only for looks to fill a space.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

The bed bug issue,,,, yes, if even the finest hotels can have a problem then a Kittinger sofa *could* as well. So it does give you pause. I had my sofa reupholstered and have some regret that I did.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know I wouldn't regret reupolstering this. The plaid is not me, and if I had to keep it, it would instantly be a deal breaker. But that's me, it is a lovely plaid. I want something in velvet--maybe hot pink. I know, maybe not hot pink.

Yes the back is low. But so are the windows it will go in front of....currently the sitting room has no furniture, oh wait, the chairs for the show house are sitting in there waiting to be moved. Most of the sofas I look at that are really comfy to put in that space are too deep anyway. When I lay them out on the floor they are too overwhelming for the space. And then that makes one think that I moved this sofa from somewhere else in the house to this spot even though it doesn't really fit. YaknowwhatImean?

Funny, I've never worried about bed bugs in upholstery that I've brought home before. I know I should. But those pieces (except the swan sofa) are still out in the garage waiting for nice weather to get refinished.

*sigh*

my3dogs? You've done this a lot....what say you about this dilemma?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

IMHO, unless you wanted the plaid, I would not get it.
    It is fine quality construction, but, as you said, you are just buying a (very nice) frame. The frame/lines do not send me. Do they send you? Is it the style you would pick if you could wave a magic wand?

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

When I said regret, it was in regards to paying someone else $2000 to reupholster it and investing that into a sofa that I am not totally crazy about.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I love the style of it, and I also love the plaid, and in all the chairs I've bought from CL to re-do, not a bed bug in a single one.

I see this as being a style that could go very contemporary with different fabric. I don't know whether you plan to do this yourself, which I know you COULD, but that is also swaying me, as I know I would! The plaid makes me think of the blog Polo House, which has a lot of it in her home. Her tartan plaid Pinterest page is linked below.

So, I'd have already bought it, and you may possibly decide to sell it to someone who could appreciate it as is, and make a nice profit. I'm sure it gets less exposure at the consignment shop than it would if it was posted on CL. So, I'd get it if I planned it re-do it for myself, or if I knew I'd be able to re-sell as is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polo House tartan plaid pins

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was typing a note and then my computer completely froze!

But I'm back.

I called the shop and revealed myself as a total nut job inquiring about the bed bug/flea spraying process. I've read that the spray they use really doesn't do anything. But I figured I would ask. He said they have never had any issues. He even told me I could have a 2nd spraying, a heavy 2nd spraying if I buy it.

arapaho, thanks for clarifying!

And I know there are the tartan lovers out there. But I'm just not a plaid gal.

Thanks for that link to Polo House. I just found her blog a little bit ago. She was being photographed for a magazine and I was told to check it out.

I think I'll get it. What the heck. I mean I need to balance out all the dressers I'm hoarding with something. Seriously, I'm not kidding about the dressers. 2 campaign dressers in the basement (one is Henredon, other Campaigner) there is a Dorothy Draper chest knock off in the garage, a black campaign small bachelor chest, 2 white campaign bachelor chests (debating to get the desk and other cabinet she had) and then there is the faux bamboo Thomasville triple dresser dragged home from Salvo (fancy word for Salvation Army). And we won't talk about the giant hutch.

I have a lot of painting to do as soon as this snow melts! And I can get busy again. Winter is the buying season, I guess.

Yes, mtn the back is low. But I like the lines. The windows in the sitting room are low. Here is a picture of the space, it has a pair of chairs in the photo that are from my family room. They get moved there during Christmas.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

If you really like the lines, then 129 is not a bad start to a sofa

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FINAL DECISION TME

I'm going to pass. Thank you all for your valuable insight.

I'm going to do the Sofa Math for you (that's my shout out to Mirror Math from mtn).

$130 to start
    15 yds fabric (what the upholsterer told me to get) @ $30/yd (rough estimate,probably would have been more) = $450
    New Cushion & Labor to make $200

Now my $130 sofa is $780. (And there is no guarantee that I would have done a good job with it!) Which is ok. But it is not the comfy sofa I want for that room. I want it to be petite, yes, but comfy too.

Thank you for playing along with me and helping me make this decision.

If the cushions were in good shape (they were very rumply) and I liked the plaid and did not need to do anything to it, then of course it was a no brainer, as so many of you pointed out.

That's a relief.

I think I now realize something....if I have to ask GW if I should or shouldn't do something, then it must mean I know somewhere deep down that I shouldn't! Because let me tell you when something is right and I know it.....I whip out the money very quickly and there is no time for second guessing!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

As they say, "always go with your gut feeling". Usually, it never fails you.

The "right" sofa is awaiting you somewhere!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

If your decision is final maybe you could share where consignment shop is located?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of course, Finders Keepers East, in York PA. you should email me if you want details about it.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Gosh Bee, I used to haunt the East York FK. Have you been to the one on the west end? It's a good bit smaller but they often have nice items.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I am late to this party-- but as much as I love the sofa and I think a low sofa is PERFECT for that space, I think you made a wise decision. Comfort is primary. It has to be for that space.. and you were very clear that it just wasnt comfy... and no promise that it would be after rework.

I just love your sitting room and I think it's worth waiting for the perfect piece. Something you can curl up in at night.. or sit with coffee looking out the window in the morning. Most importantly, it needs to be YOU. This one just doesn't strike me as yours.

It would have been perfect when I was looking for a sofa for my dining space but I think I am pretty sure I've given up that plan. If I could get it down the hall and around the corner, I'd use it in my office!