Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color for bathroom where you apply makeup?

Posted by kellymom (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 15:45

Hi,

I'm planning to repaint my master bathroom and trying to figure out which direction to go with the color. It's currently light blue, which is OK, but I want a change. I apply makeup in that bathroom, so I would like a color that won't interfere with that...I've read that yellow and gray shades are a problem for example. I read that the best shades for that purpose are shades like peach and pink, but I can't go for that on the walls.

Any suggestions? What color do you have in your bathroom and do you like it?

Thanks for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color for bathroom where you apply makeup?

Recently I painted my bathroom in greyish tones. When I asked the question about what color should I paint it... many responded with peach, melon, beige with tints of pink for the very reasons you are mentioning.
Someone said to hold the paint chips up to your face, by the mirror in your bathroom to see the reflection it gives to your skin tone.
That might help you decide?

o

I painted mine red. Made me look rosy and fabulous.

I put a swing-arm make-up mirror on the wall next to the window for daytime, so as to get a more accurate view.

If you have enough light, lots of things will work, but you might be careful with green. Looking cadaverous when rising from the bath is a depressing way to start the day!

o

Whatever color you paint it make sure to change out your lightbulbs to Reveal incandescent, halogena or bright day light flourescents. All of those will give you bright white color without under tones or that "muddy" look.

o

Use a paint color that is flattering to YOU - look through your wardrobe favorites for inspiration - and to heck with any "rules". It's nuts to say "thou shalt not use green [for example] in a bathroom". There is SOME shade of every color out there - green, yellow, blue, purple, whatever - that will be flattering, although it might be surprising to learn what they are. Remember the "color seasons" women used to use for purchasing clothes? The same system can be used for choosing colors for your decor that make you look wonderful. That olive green that everyone else moans and groans about makes me look fabulous, it's one of my very best colors so my previous house's master bathroom was olive green. Those much-vaunted rosy and peachy tones, OTOH, emphasize the ruddiness in my face and make me look like I'm running a fever - I always ended up putting on much too much foundation thinking I had more redness to counteract than I really did. The same thing happened with the slate-blue secondary bath in my previous house. Everyone loved the bathroom but I didn't because I looked terrible in there (besides being totally over the IMO-already-dated-by-then brown-and-light-blue color scheme, which was chosen for resale)! My current bathroom has Antique White (PO's choice, the bathroom needs to be gutted so we haven't done any decorating) and I look pasty with red splotches and bags under my eyes I could cross Europe with. How lovely. Not.

Don't confuse quantity of light with quality of light, either. You can have enough brightness to stage an interrogation scene for HBO, but if the light's the wrong tone (too cool or warm) you're still not going to get a good result.

o

I know that everyone seems to be painting every room a different color but I get tired of too much color and have only two rooms (rust red dining room and soft green sitting room/entry) with color, and everything else is painted cream with a lighter ceiling. Since I'm a green-eyed blonde cream is a good color for me and works well for putting on make-up. I wouldn't choose peach or pink either although certain greens are really good for me. Women with blue eyes often look good in blue or a fuchsia pink, although not everyone would want the latter as a wall color. A soft gray which has a lot of brown in it might also be flattering to a lot of complexions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here