Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjlb

how to paint wooden cabinet for bathroom

mjlb
10 years ago

I need an odd-size cabinet for my bathroom, and I just found a little wooden cabinet on craigslist that would work great. But it does need to be refinished, and I've never done that. It has a cedar interior that I would like to leave alone. But I would like to paint the exterior to match the trim in my bath. Should I be using a special kind of paint to stand up to the humidity in a bathroom? Any other helpful hints? Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (8)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Benjamin Moore Kitchen and Bath. Or, you can buy anti-mold and mildew stuff and put it in any paint you choose yourself.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix -- I'll look into that.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I've never had a problem with mold/mildew in a bath cabinet. Yes, inquire at a good paint shop...but if I were doing it I would give the piece a good sanding, then a coat of good primer, then two coats of high quality paint...probably semi-gloss or eggshell.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, joaniepoanie -- Do you think it would be okay to leave the cedar interior unfinished?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would leave the cabinet in the bathroom for a week and see if the cedar odor gets to be too much for the small room. A childhood friend of mine had a small cedar closet in her basement and the entire basement smelled cedary.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

If the cabinet is made of cedar you may have a hard time sealing the wood before painting. I would bring in the cabinet or a door or drawer to a good paint store (BM or SW) and ask how to prep. Cedar is an oily wood and might give you problems bleeding through.

That said, once the prep and priming is done, I have successfully used the new water based enamels on cabinets and trim. Lay on with a brush and lay off with a small foam roller. You will need 2+ coats of paint.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about the cedar interior....as Julie pointed out, a good paint shop can advise you or you might try posting this on the Woodworking forum here on GW..I'm sure there are lots of experts there. My off the wall guess is a couple of coats of a good sealer on the interior should work ok.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I have cedar closets (prior owner built them - keeps moths out, so I was thrilled to see them) and love the smell. Also cedar wood I split to burn in the fireplace FOR the smell.