Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amber or white light kit

Posted by imsmilng (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:38

I was told that I would have to have a light kit on my ceiling fans so need to decide on which one....the white or amber color? What do you think?

I can't figure out how to post both on one post so will post the other on a reply post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amber or white light kit

The finial will be the bronze to match the fan.

o

I would go with the white. The amber will affect the color of the light, changing the colors of the paint and furnishings in a way that might not be attractive. To me, it is also a rather dated look, where white is more timeless and goes with more styles.

o

You HAVE to have a light kit? Why? I've got ceiling fans all over, some with, some without. Where are you buying this? Makes NO sense to me.

o

Agree. Doesn't make sense that you have to have a light.

o

It may be that "code" thing that says one light in the room must be able to be turned on by a switch. If none of the sockets in the room are connected to a switch, there would have to be a hardwired ceiling light or sconces.

o

Yep, it's that "code" thing.

o

And you got this "code" thing from whom? So that means that you must have an overhead light in every room (traditionally living rooms didn't have overheads)? Something just doesn't seem right here and if it's coming from the fan sales person, well, I'd be checking it further. Is this new construction?

o

New again :) Everything was completely gutted.

o

Jaysmom, the "code" thing is not a fan-light-kit sales technique. The residential building code -- where I live, anyway, and it might be national -- says there must be a light in the room which can be turned on by a switch at the door It can be a lamp plugged into an outlet that is switchable, or it can be a hardwired fixture.

Smiling, if the room is gutted, can you make one of the outlets switchable? Are you rewiring?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here