Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Reading Corner Finally Came Together!

ttodd
10 years ago

Over the years I've asked for advice here on how to make this corner work.

You've given me advice on layout, table size, height, chair and lighting. I'd stored all of the advice away and revisited often. I'm talking at least 3-4 yrs since I first posted about it.

Well this morning it finally fully evolved. It meets all of our requirements:

Easy access to all of the games & all of the games had to be out in the open for the family to see and want to play. There is a game table area that I'm working on next.

Small table to put a drink or snack.

Easy access to guitar to encourage playing of it.

Basket to store all of my magazines out of site but w/in reach.

Multiple levels of lighting.

Place to put my feet up.

Pictures. Always pictures everywhere. I finally finished off 2 of the wall galleries in the room this morning.

I have s seagrass rug to put down this weekend.

So to all of you who have given me advice over the years, a heartfelt thank you for your suggestions. W/o your input I would not have arrived at this!

Comments (38)

• peony4
    10 years ago

Now THAT'S how to pull off a wall gallery! Well-done! Love it.

• jenniferPA
    10 years ago

That is just perfect. I can really appreciate the effort put into making a space functional for your family. That's been the focus of my house projects lately and it's so satisfying when it works out! Can't wait to see the game table area!

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I love it! You have achieved a personal, visually interesting, cohesive and functional space - that is quite an accomplishment. It looks like it has been there forever.... which for me is a sign of great decorating success!

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Perfect! That is one beautiful, and cozy, space. It feels like it has always been there.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love it! Very cozy and looks like home!

• crl_
    10 years ago

Lovely! Want to come over and do my gallery wall?

• bpath
    10 years ago

It's so, so, YOU :) I especially like the lamp, the wall ... Some gallery walls are just a bunch of pictures, but yours are "whole", very cohesive and interesting, attracting not distracting. And the piano stool, where did you find it?

Now bring me a cup of tea, I'll just test out the chair there for ya. Ahh, yes, perfect!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Oh it's just perfection, the lamps, the piano stool, it looks like a room out of the past and so inviting. I want one lol.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Looks like out of a decor mag! Congrats on a job well done!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I have that same lamp on order but in gold! It looks great in your room. The whole wall came together perfectly!

It was a good idea you took a picture in case you want to replicate the area once you move.

• teeda
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. Definitely magazine worthy!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

The lamp w/ the white shade is great because it has an outlet in the base AND a phone jack for young old fogies like me who won't part w/ a land line.

I have wedding pictures of us, my parents, one of some great grandparents, DH's parents and my sister.

Places I've been, places I won;t to go to keep the dream alive.

Baby pictures of family from the late 1800's on. My step dad gave me a box of old family pictures from his side of the family for Christmas so that's what got me motivated today.

I picked up the piano stool at a little antique store beside the store that we had years ago.

The green leather ottoman was for sale for $15 at a local thrift/ junk shop. i had a 25% off coupon on the back of my grocery receipt for the thrift shop.

I'm so glad to hear the word 'cozy' to describe my spot. Ask my kids, cozy is a word that I use all of the time w/ them. I'm always telling everyone & the pets 'Get comfy, cozy!' and 'It's important to feel cozy.'

• leafy02
    10 years ago

Marvelous!

• fillagirl
    10 years ago

You've created a wonderful corner that's functional and beautiful,congrats!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I've had a crush on your style for a few years now, FoxesPad. Ever since the holiday vignette you once posted. You do wondrous work with photo walls! I usually do not care for them.

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

I LOVE it. Cozy, homey, inviting, "the spot", comfort, and list goes on.

Good job.

• User
    10 years ago

I love it! I really DOES look cozy and beautiful without being stuffy. I wish I could get a knack for that. Well done Foxes! I'd just park myself across the room and stare at it. :)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

That is one majorly inviting corner! Well done!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

This is the real deal for reading corners. Wow! You have done a fabulous job.

• User
    10 years ago

That is truly magnificent; most worthy of a nice pat on the back.
    Outstanding.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This room is longer than it is wide and has it's challenges as most rooms do. Corner FP and really loud heating/ AC vent that prevented me from using this room as a LR. The other end is where the Xbox is for the kids. I have some cane wingbacks that are light enough for the kids to move from the game table to the Xbox to play or watch movies. They're really ugly right now - someday I'll reupholster them. Someday. Hoping to get that rug down today.

This room also had to transition to a 'grown-up' area for when we have gatherings since our rooms are so small. I made sure to have enough lightweight seating to be moveable and table surfaces, such as the game table, to hold food and drinks.

Here are some of the old pics that I'd posted yrs ago. I was clearly obsessive lol!

Mtnredux - Crush right back at ya! Love your style!

OaklyOK - please post a pic of your lamp when it arrives. I'd love to see it!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Brilliant. As always.

The one tweak I'd suggest is to find a pillow with a bit of green in it for the chair, instead of the gray one, to make the green ottoman feel better "connected."

But I still think it's a great setup. Very cozy and quirky, which I love.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Funny, SueB, when I looked at the photo, I thought the pillow WAS green. Then i looked closer and realized it was gray.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pillow isn't grey - it's actually a lighter sea blue-green (blue side) shade of the darker seagreen-blue (green side) ottoman & the throw is somewhere in between.

No tweaks needed - Thanks!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Brillant -- just LOVE your style! :)

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Wow. Perfection. I would live there.

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

One of the things I love about your style is that it always feels relaxed and livable besides looking great. I would love a corner like that!

• Irish2
    10 years ago

I get excited when I see your "signon " because I know
    I'll be in for a treat and I was right. Love what you have
    created...comfy/cozy for sure!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Ooooh, so wonderful! You've created a lovely, very personal, comfy, cozy little retreat right there! I've been waiting for more pics for quite a while, as I fell hard for those first pics of your ongoing wall gallery. You've certainly NOT disappointed us! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Lynn

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Wow, that looks good. Love it.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

What a great spot to settle in with a good book! Nicely done!

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Nice job of blending good looks with good function.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Wonderful...
    So happy for you! :)

• jill302
    10 years ago

Very inviting, just love it!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. thanks so much for sharing. :)

• threeapples
    10 years ago

Stunning! Do you have photos of the rest of the room?

• cran
    2 months ago

Looks terrific

• Ida Claire
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Oh wow. It's been a decade since this was posted, but I'm so happy to see it again! Ttodd had such wonderful style, as this space clearly evidences. This is the sort of thing that's missing from this forum since the GardenWeb days. Ah, but it used to be so inspiring to see rooms like this on a regular basis!