Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reading Corner Finally Came Together!

Posted by TheFoxesPad (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 15:37

Over the years I've asked for advice here on how to make this corner work.

You've given me advice on layout, table size, height, chair and lighting. I'd stored all of the advice away and revisited often. I'm talking at least 3-4 yrs since I first posted about it.

Well this morning it finally fully evolved. It meets all of our requirements:

Easy access to all of the games & all of the games had to be out in the open for the family to see and want to play. There is a game table area that I'm working on next.

Small table to put a drink or snack.

Easy access to guitar to encourage playing of it.

Basket to store all of my magazines out of site but w/in reach.

Multiple levels of lighting.

Place to put my feet up.

Pictures. Always pictures everywhere. I finally finished off 2 of the wall galleries in the room this morning.

I have s seagrass rug to put down this weekend.

So to all of you who have given me advice over the years, a heartfelt thank you for your suggestions. W/o your input I would not have arrived at this!

photo 20140201_144803_zpsac88a191.jpg
 photo 20140201_145738_zps5af6c277.jpg
 photo 20140201_145715_zps79dfedf5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reading Corner Finally Came Together!

Now THAT'S how to pull off a wall gallery! Well-done! Love it.

o

That is just perfect. I can really appreciate the effort put into making a space functional for your family. That's been the focus of my house projects lately and it's so satisfying when it works out! Can't wait to see the game table area!

o

I love it! You have achieved a personal, visually interesting, cohesive and functional space - that is quite an accomplishment. It looks like it has been there forever.... which for me is a sign of great decorating success!

o

Perfect! That is one beautiful, and cozy, space. It feels like it has always been there.

o

I love it! Very cozy and looks like home!

o

Lovely! Want to come over and do my gallery wall?

o

It's so, so, YOU :) I especially like the lamp, the wall ... Some gallery walls are just a bunch of pictures, but yours are "whole", very cohesive and interesting, attracting not distracting. And the piano stool, where did you find it?

Now bring me a cup of tea, I'll just test out the chair there for ya. Ahh, yes, perfect!

o

Oh it's just perfection, the lamps, the piano stool, it looks like a room out of the past and so inviting. I want one lol.

o

Looks like out of a decor mag! Congrats on a job well done!

o

I have that same lamp on order but in gold! It looks great in your room. The whole wall came together perfectly!

It was a good idea you took a picture in case you want to replicate the area once you move.

o

Gorgeous. Definitely magazine worthy!

o

Thanks!

The lamp w/ the white shade is great because it has an outlet in the base AND a phone jack for young old fogies like me who won't part w/ a land line.

I have wedding pictures of us, my parents, one of some great grandparents, DH's parents and my sister.

Places I've been, places I won;t to go to keep the dream alive.

Baby pictures of family from the late 1800's on. My step dad gave me a box of old family pictures from his side of the family for Christmas so that's what got me motivated today.

I picked up the piano stool at a little antique store beside the store that we had years ago.

The green leather ottoman was for sale for $15 at a local thrift/ junk shop. i had a 25% off coupon on the back of my grocery receipt for the thrift shop.

I'm so glad to hear the word 'cozy' to describe my spot. Ask my kids, cozy is a word that I use all of the time w/ them. I'm always telling everyone & the pets 'Get comfy, cozy!' and 'It's important to feel cozy.'

o

Marvelous!

o

You've created a wonderful corner that's functional and beautiful,congrats!

o

I've had a crush on your style for a few years now, FoxesPad. Ever since the holiday vignette you once posted. You do wondrous work with photo walls! I usually do not care for them.

o

I LOVE it. Cozy, homey, inviting, "the spot", comfort, and list goes on.

Good job.

o

I love it! I really DOES look cozy and beautiful without being stuffy. I wish I could get a knack for that. Well done Foxes! I'd just park myself across the room and stare at it. :)

o

That is one majorly inviting corner! Well done!

o

This is the real deal for reading corners. Wow! You have done a fabulous job.

o

That is truly magnificent; most worthy of a nice pat on the back.
Outstanding.

o

This room is longer than it is wide and has it's challenges as most rooms do. Corner FP and really loud heating/ AC vent that prevented me from using this room as a LR. The other end is where the Xbox is for the kids. I have some cane wingbacks that are light enough for the kids to move from the game table to the Xbox to play or watch movies. They're really ugly right now - someday I'll reupholster them. Someday. Hoping to get that rug down today.

This room also had to transition to a 'grown-up' area for when we have gatherings since our rooms are so small. I made sure to have enough lightweight seating to be moveable and table surfaces, such as the game table, to hold food and drinks.

Here are some of the old pics that I'd posted yrs ago. I was clearly obsessive lol!

photo Arrangement2.jpg
 photo Arrangement1.jpg

Mtnredux - Crush right back at ya! Love your style!

OaklyOK - please post a pic of your lamp when it arrives. I'd love to see it!

o

Brilliant. As always.

The one tweak I'd suggest is to find a pillow with a bit of green in it for the chair, instead of the gray one, to make the green ottoman feel better "connected."

But I still think it's a great setup. Very cozy and quirky, which I love.

o

Funny, SueB, when I looked at the photo, I thought the pillow WAS green. Then i looked closer and realized it was gray.

o

The pillow isn't grey - it's actually a lighter sea blue-green (blue side) shade of the darker seagreen-blue (green side) ottoman & the throw is somewhere in between.

No tweaks needed - Thanks!

o

Brillant -- just LOVE your style! :)

o

Wow. Perfection. I would live there.

o

One of the things I love about your style is that it always feels relaxed and livable besides looking great. I would love a corner like that!

o

I get excited when I see your "signon " because I know
I'll be in for a treat and I was right. Love what you have
created...comfy/cozy for sure!

o

Ooooh, so wonderful! You've created a lovely, very personal, comfy, cozy little retreat right there! I've been waiting for more pics for quite a while, as I fell hard for those first pics of your ongoing wall gallery. You've certainly NOT disappointed us! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lynn

o

Wow, that looks good. Love it.

o

What a great spot to settle in with a good book! Nicely done!

o

Nice job of blending good looks with good function.

o

Wonderful...
So happy for you! :)

o

Very inviting, just love it!

o

Gorgeous. thanks so much for sharing. :)

o

Stunning! Do you have photos of the rest of the room?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here