Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadiev_gw

Afraid to ask -- which rug?

SadieV
11 years ago

I've been mostly a lurker for a year or so. I feel totally out of my league here but so enjoy viewing everyone's beautiful homes. I envy the level of talent in these forums. For that reason, I've been too intimidated to reach out for help when I really could have benefited from your advice. Well, I'm coming out of the shadows. I have to choose a rug for our dining area and don't want to make another mistake.

I know this might well open a "can of worms", but hey, I'm ready. I've been paying close enough attention to know that to make a decision, you have to see the "area". So, here it goes. I would love your thoughts -- and your advice. Feel free to comment and offer your suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Comments (19)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like the darker one. It won't show as much dirt but it also defines the area better than the light one. The light one looks too much like your carpeting.

• Beachykeen09
    11 years ago

When it comes to aesthetics, anyone on this forum is more talented than I am, so I won't offer any advice in that area. However, practically speaking, I would be very hesitant to use a rug as light as the one on the left under a dining room table. The 1st time someone spills food or drink on it, you may wish you had chosen something else.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

The bordered one, definitely. It defines the space better and picks up on the black elsewhere in the room.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    11 years ago

Yep - the darker one is the best.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Definitely the darker one.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Another vote for the darker one.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Another vote for the darker/one with border. It grounds the room. The other is too light for the space and it looks more like a bedroom rug, imo.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I like the darker one, too, but in a larger size for that space.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

The darker one, but is it big enough? And, what material is it? If it's sisal, I actual would suggest seagrass. I've had both, and find seagrass or mountain grass a lot more stain resistant.
    There was a recent thread about sisal and cats, I believe, with some links.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Adding another voice to the choir -- the darker one!

• justsaying
    11 years ago

Another vote for the darker one - to me it grounds the room. Any chance you can get the next size up to allow for the chairs to still be on the carpet when people push back from the table?

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Another vote for the darker one, but also wonder if it's large enough as shown.

• User
    11 years ago

Also like the darker one best, but I prefer no rugs under tables, in kitchens, breakfast rooms or dining rooms. It's not very sanitary.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

My comments are on practicality. If the darker rug is sisal, the natural wovens do not work well with food, especially if you have children. A white rug under a dining table also isn't a practical choice.

So I will ask, do you really need a rug?

• Laurie
    11 years ago

You did a great job of posting pictures and you have a very pretty home! I especially love the wood flooring and kitchen cabinetry.

I, too, vote for the darker rug and possibly in the next size up.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I like the dark better, I would suggest you spray it with scotch guard after you lay it out, it saves a lot of scrubbing. Are you going to turn the table in the other direction? You have a lovely home, post more often please.

• SadieV
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. The darker rug is actually an indoor/outdoor rug made of polypropolene (both are from World Market). It has a sisal look to it, but I could take it in the back yard and hose it down. It actually isn't too bad underfoot. Not as rough as some of the sisal ones I looked at. Our kids are grown, so its just the two of us and we actually use the table very seldom -- actually just when the kids come home or when we entertain.

I like the rug under the table to help protect the floor. We just had the floor refinished and I'm a little protective of it.

Not to confuse the issue, but do you think I should look for a seagrass rug (would be a bit lighter in color) with a dark border?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I bought my mountain grass rug here on sale, about 1 year ago. It's under the table where we eat daily, and so far it has held up very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: sea grass

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, the bordered one, but yours is too small.

You should be able to pull your chairs back far enough to sit down without the chair leaving the rug - the rule of thumb is, 2-1/2 feet from the edge of the table for each chair - so your rug should be 5' wider and longer than your table.

So for a 3' x 6 ' table, you need an 8 x 11 rug. You can get by with an 8 x 10, but no smaller. The difference in comfort and appearance between one that's too small and one that's the right size is dramatic.

And I agree that your house is very pretty!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm