Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fnmroberts

Please Take a Tour

fnmroberts
10 years ago

Hello Everyone

We believe we will sell our home in a couple years when we retire. Accordingly our decisions need to be more focused on making sure our home is presented in the best light for sale.

I've compiled a fairly complete room-by-room library of photos. For anyone with time to review and has interest, kindly offer thoughts/recommendations as a potential house shopper. The photos are linked.

Things we wonder about:

Basement - Should the bathroom be added? We haven't done so because the floor will need to be broken-out for plumbing causing a huge mess. This basement isn't a walk-out for living quarters.

Accent walls - need we repaint them? Guests comment favorable and we, of course, like them.

Furnishings - we know some will need to be stored to better show the rooms.

We have reached to a realtor but they are too anxious to list and simply aren't going to expend time for a potential listing so far into the future.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'll take the albums private in about a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room-by-Room Tour

Comments (11)

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

Nice home! I didn't see any pictures of the kitchen, bathrooms or master bedroom. I agree when it's time to list you need to remove some stuff but it reads inviting and warm which is important. I do think the cow rug needs to go when you list.

So there is no bathroom in the basement? One would certainly be a welcome addition. Have you priced one? If you do one, certainly have a shower in it.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Yours is not the type of house I would be shopping for, but if I were, I would really appreciate the way you have the fireplace wall niches decorated. I would not know what to do with those niches, and if they were empty they would present a huge challenge, but a potential buyer could just copy what you have done in the niches, which fills them simply and well. Don't remove the items from the niches!

I see no need to paint.

The basement family room seems to be a large and important living area. Have you studied your market to determine the price difference that bathroom/no bathroom makes? Maybe that would settle it for you.

I would rather take a lower price and not have the mess/hassle, but then again I wouldn't have used the basement family room if there were no bath down there.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I can't link to your photos, but we are in the same boat. Will sell and retire in a few years, no bathroom in the basement and would also need to dig up concrete for plumbing, etc. We have concluded it is not worth the time, money, expense. I don't think we would see a big return, especially if we had to pay to have it done. Might make sense if you can do it inexpensively and DIY. Our basement was essentially the kids' playroom, storage, and a small office--seldom used. Honestly, I really detest going down there and didn't want to have to go down there to clean another bathroom. The space is ready if someone wants to put one in and then theycan pick the finishes they want.

My take on painting is this: if a room is well furnished and coordinated no need to paint unless it is a really off the wall color that would turn a lot of people off. I think most people take in the space as a whole...if the room is pleasing...even if not in a color the potential buyer would pick...it is not a turn off. And I think most buyers know they will probably have to do some painting.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Your house and garden look like they are in great shape. With respect to the basement bathroom:
    How many bathrooms do you have compared to the number of bedrooms? Are they located where the bedrooms/guest room are?
    How much would a basement bathroom cost?
    I personally don't see the need for a full bathroom in the basement if there are no bedrooms.
    How much would a powder room be in the basement?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I don't think I would add a bathroom to sell. You probably won't get a full return and it may be appreciated but not worth any additional price to your buyers. I live in an area without basements, so I may not be the best judge, but if you've done without it so long, you know it isn't critical. If it becomes critical for a buyer, they may also have specific ideas about how they would want it to function (creating a bedroom with adjoining or shared bath, for example). Unless your market demands a bath in every basement, I'd let the buyer do it the way they want it -- including walking up stairs.

I also don't have any idea what a bathroom addition to a basement would cost. A lot will depend on how easily they can deal with the plumbing and how good you are at making the best of bargains. I do think you need to figure out what the expense would be if you haven't already.

You may want to store some furniture, but your house is not as full as I expected from your post. If I were looking at your house, I would like fewer things hung o the walls and fewer accessories about. That and the cowhide rug would be where I would start thinning.

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate the feedback. For those who are unable to view the photo link, I don't know why. Agree about pulling the hide as some don't like such "natural" items. And certainly some artwork and patch the walls.

happyladi - Individual rooms are there including those you did not see. My husband has done some pricing based on him doing the heavy work.

jamies - Thanks for the niche compliments. About 5 years ago we had an appraisal and a full bathroom was worth $5,000. We've allotted space for a shower but for our use a half-bath would be sufficient.

joaniepoanie - Basement is an entertainment area and a powder room is immediately on the first floor. And, our accent walls are not grotesque and could easily be repainted by us or a future owner.

nosoccermom - we have a master bath plus a full bath on the sleeping level. Powder on the main. Four bedrooms. Plumbing for a powder or full in the basement would be practically the same,

lascatx - We believe even DIY when done properly the investment would equal the return. A plumber said $1,000 to install the sanitary with our furnishing the supplies and digging the trench. Right now we're feeling that having the rough-in might overcome any future buyer resistance to not having a functioning bathroom in the basement.

• jill302
    10 years ago

Beautiful home! The only area that I would think might need a change in paint is the powder room. Love it myself but the brighter color in a small space might turn some people off.

The basement is really fun. Very few basements in my area of the country, so I can not really comment on the necessity of the bathroom, although I would think it would be a nice to have but not a must. Do most basements in your area include a bath?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yes, a powder room would be nice in the basement. But since the nearest bedroom is two floors up, I don't think I'd add a full bathroom. Now, if you were to also add a small bedroom down there, you could market it as a nanny or in-law suite, which probably would add value.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If you can do the rough in for that little, I think that would be a bonus. Folks will think it would be more and that's the part folks dread the most. Then a buyer can pick a ready made vanity or custom cabinets, re-purpose and DIY, etc. Even if they can't change a light bulb without calling for help, the fear of opening walls, surprises and messes is eliminated.

Agree with nosoccermom that a half bath should be fine - but adding a shower means a pullout sofa becomes a spot for guests. Again, if the rough in can be done inexpensively, I'd rough it all in. Options are a great thing.

I'm surprised that a full bath would be appraised at $5K. Here, it would add at least twice that -- probably more since housing has been going up. There is probably also a diminishing return -- the second bath is going to be worth more than the third or fourth and after that its a whole different ball game anyway.

Good luck with your prep and future sale.

• dakota01
    10 years ago

I agree with one of your last posts about the rough ins. I was going to suggest only doing them and that's it. Just having them in is what I think a buyer would like/appreciate. It is one less thing for them to find fault.

I would not get rid of the cow hide rug , IMHO, it adds interest. I would add two matching lamps behind your FR couch, maybe remove or change out the other lamps on that room saw well.. 3 different styles/finishes looks unfinished IMHO.
    Love all your horsey accents, they are in my home too. I limit how many I have, though all that enter know that I am an equestrian rider? Some people actually expect me to have more, but sometimes less is really more! Lol

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

antiqueannie - The Powder Room is actually wall papered with a heavy vinyl It can easily be removed. It's one of those accent areas that gets many compliments. I'm going to wait until closer t listing. Probably more than half of the basements have been finished. Probably half of those have a half or more bathroom.

nosoccermom -The sofa we have there converts for sleeping. And is has been suggested that the space might be good for a returning college graduate.

lascatx - And the $ return is a huge factor. To do it right, even mostly DIY, we will invest more than the return.

jeannie01 - I never thought about those lamps - the problem with living with something and not seeing through fresh eyes.

I just like animal sculptures', prints and everything. Yes, they will be thinned along with other accents.

Thank you everyone for your comments. That's why I love this forum.