Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theredhouse_gw

Should I, or shouldn't I?

TheRedHouse
10 years ago

Hey all,
A few days ago I posted a La Barge cocktail table on the CL Deal of the Day thread. I wasn't looking for a coffee table, but since spotting it, I just can't get this table out of my head. I like it, and it's only $100. Things like this don't really come up on my city's CL very often, so it's a find. I emailed the owner and got some more info, but I just can't decide whether or not to buy it.

I tried making a pro/con list and it looked something like this:

Pro:
-really nice table for very little $
-it will add a little glamour to the room
-I like brass and will eventually buy a glass & brass table
-may be useful when we move to a bigger house with larger spaces (we plan to move next year & will probably come close to doubling our sq. footage, so I'll need a lot of furniture)
-it's in excellent condition
-I can probably resell it if it doesn't work out for us

Con:
-a bit large for the space
-husband doesn't really love it
-might be too fancy for the room
-might be impractical with kids and pets
-the cat is likely to walk all over it and leave paw prints
-wouldn't have chosen this shape if I were buying new
-the brass is a little shiny. It hasn't formed a patina at all in the 26 years since the seller bought it.

This weekend we're converting the former playroom into a second TV watching space and I could easily move my existing, small-scale coffee table to that room, and it would look great. So I would be able to put the La Barge table in place immediately.

I'm just torn. What would you do?

Comments (20)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Do you have a more square chair arrangement that can make use of the shape. I like the brass and glass and the shape of the legs, but the hex shape bothers me...

• Olychick
    10 years ago

For $100 I would take the chance and get it. Like you say, you can sell it if it doesn't work out. It's a beautiful table and you're still thinking about it. Which will you regret more, spending the $100 or NOT getting it? Go with the fewest regrets!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

IMHO, and as the previous owner of one, LaBarge glass and brass table are a dime a dozen on CL. That's because, IMHO, they are "out". It seems to me that more people choose ottomans today and that,even if they did want a coffee table, this style is out but not out enough to come back anytime soon.

I am now ready for a chorus of complaints, but that's how I see it.

PS The brass will never patina. Patina used to be bad!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I think your "cons" outweigh your "pros".

I have seen tables similar to this in homes on GW, and they look very nice. I don't care as much for the one you posted. I don't like the shape and the glass looks smoked to me, though IRL it may not be.

It seems you are trying to sell yourself on the table because others are telling you it's a good deal. It doesn't sound like it fits your needs TODAY. Don't tolerate something (too big, too formal, too much upkeep) now because SOMEDAY you might want it.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

"Decorate for the life you really have, not the life you wish you had. - Magnaverde Rule No. 16 "

Found at the top of the Home Decorating and Design Forum and this wraps up your cons in a nutshell.

• TheRedHouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm hearing you all. I think the hex shape is my major issue with this. If it were round, this post would have been titled Check Out My New Table. I think I can't get it out of my head because it's thisclose to what I truly want and at this price, I feel like I could compromise a bit. I know things like this come up all the time on CL in other cities, but Portland has a CL full of true junk at astronomical prices. I blame the hipsters. Or maybe we're all so over-caffienated, we're all out of our minds. ;)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

If you can't get it out of your mind, go for it. Live with it for awhile and see how you like it. Put it back on CL if it doesn't work out. For $100 I don't think you can go wrong. And as you said, if it doesn't work out for this house, it may next year when you move and you plan to buy something similar anyway...which you wouldn't find for $100.

• tfitz1006
    10 years ago

I'm not crazy about the shape. I remember owning a glass coffee table when I had two toddlers and a baby. One kid under the table, one lying on top of the table making goofy faces at one another ( and slobbering all over it). I gave the table away!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Red, can you show us photos of the room it'll be in? The hex shape is not my favorite, but I wonder if a glass shop could 'round off' those edges for you? The hoof feet are great.

Lay out some paper on your carpet in the shape and size of the glass top. That will help you know if it's too big. The glass on them is so heavy that I don't think a kid could knock it off.

If you're going to buy a brass and glass coffee table in the future, you'll never get one of this quality for $100. I have three dogs who don't bother my brass and glass table at all. Mine is much smaller due to having a narrow LR. It's linked below and I adore it. Not everyone has switched to ottomans, and we all have different tastes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mastercraft Brass Bamboo Oval Cocktail Table

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

the cons win by one!

• TheRedHouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update:

It may not have been logical to buy this, but I wanted it so badly, and nobody else seemed to want it, so I bought it. I love it.

my3dogs, I did the paper layout on the floor and found it wasn't nearly as big as it seemed when I was just holding the tape measure. I think that was the deciding factor. Thanks for that!

The shape isn't as severely hexagonal as it seems in photos. Since the glass is gently bowed out on each side, it looks very rounded when looking down on it IRL. The brass base is more delicate looking that I thought it would be too. For $100 I think I did pretty well.

This post was edited by TheRedHouse on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 17:39

• fillagirl
    10 years ago

You love it...so glad for you, I know how difficult some decisions are, even if they're not huge investments!

• User
    10 years ago

Congrats, I LOVE it!!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

It looks WONDERFUL on your rug! You'll smile every time you look at it for weeks, or maybe even years! Great buy, as even the size looks perfect!

How does hubby feel now that he sees it in your home, where it looks so much nicer than in the ad?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It's beautiful! I loved the shape from the get go and it looks even more gorgeous on your beautiful rug. Enjoy!

• TheRedHouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are so kind. :) Thanks.

my3dogs, he's fine with it, but did say it looks kind of "grandma-ish." I felt a little bit sad but then remembered that his grandma was a fashionable lady who loved all things glamourous. That cheered me right up.

• CalifGal
    10 years ago

Just saw your posts and members who expressed interest in owning similar table. I just moved and have the same table to sell. If you are interested email me. I live in Oakland, CA

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I would have bought it. Sometimes, there are those things that you cannot sleep without, like a warm pair of pajamas, a good book, your cat at your feet and the dream of a bargain that you just cannot pass up. I would have gotten it. What is $100 compared to a year of sleepless nights.

• User
    10 years ago

It looks GREAT with the rug! It is not grandmaish, unless that means "impossibly good!"

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH