Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Paint too matchy matchy with rug? pics

Pipdog
13 years ago

Hello GWs,

I found this site so helpful when we were working on our kitchen that I'm back for some advice and input on decorating our living space.

Before we moved in we painted our living and dining room RH's Pumice. We thought it was a light grey but in the house it reads as a cool light blue. After months of searching, we finally found a rug to go with our furniture. The rug is a blue with hints of sage green with cream swirls. My concern is that the wall color might be too much with the rug.

The space is also open to the dining room, and we have a sage green reclaimed wood table. I'm afraid Pumice doesn't really complement the furniture in their either but am at a loss as to what color would work best in there. I'd like to keep the color in the living/dining room uniform since they are open to each other.

Can anyone weigh in on the wall color and perhaps suggest other options? I don't want to go darker since the space doesn't receive a lot of natural light.

We still don't have artwork or lamps, but here's the space, partially decorated:

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for looking!!

Comments (25)

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I think it looks stunning!!! Beautiful home and decor. I'd be thrilled to find a rug that goes so well with the wall paint and couch

• jab65
    13 years ago

Looks gorgeous to me! Once you add in some accessories and artwork to warm it up, it won't seem so "all blue." Very restful IMHO.

• teacats
    13 years ago

The whole space is gorgeous!!

Really cool and elegant! :)

Can't wait to see more updates -- you have a very good eye! :)

• User
    13 years ago

I like it! Very pretty!

• User
    13 years ago

I think it's beautiful. The wall and rug look great together. In this case, "matchy matchy" looks like good design to me. :)

However, if you don't like the blue tone in the walls, don't get blue accessories. That will only make it stand out as being blue. You could try getting gray accessories (a gray rug...?) .... that might bring more of the gray out of the walls and less of the blue. It might tone it down...

• nutmegxo
    13 years ago

I love it! I think the color looks calm and relaxing with the slight blue tones. Maybe if you want to break up the color a little bit, you can use punches of color here and there with floral arrangements or throw pillows...like in yellows or oranges.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

I think it's great, don't change a thing!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Keep the blue walls and rug.

And kudos for having a built-in bench next to your fireplace! We have an identical one but they're both made of stone. LOL I've never seen another like our's. You have good taste!

Again, I love the blue especially with the white trim. It makes the rooms cheerful.

• catkin
    13 years ago

I love it too!!!

• Jeane Gallo
    13 years ago

I love it, too. And the painting over the mantle is stunning.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you for the validation! I really didn't want to re-paint the room, so I am thrilled to hear that you all like it. I agree that some punches of color (orange pillows, a bright lamp, maybe a funky coffee table) would be best to tone down the blue. I am also thinking of putting some white frames on the wall behind the sofa using some of my photography with b&w and some bright colors.

oakleyok, we love our bench, but we need to have a cushion made for it. I'm in the process of picking out the fabric for the cushion and will use some throw pillows so we can have some seating there.

I'm on the hunt for lamps and pillows. Will post updates once it's finished. Thank you again for the input!

• ummm
    13 years ago

I love your rooms! Very soothing and elegant.

If you are up to changes, these are the things I may consider changing:

* the little brown side table between the dinning room and living room. The brown just doesn't go well with the rest of the rooms. maybe paint it white or dark gray or black?

* I am not sure I like the red pillows in the dark gray chairs...

btw I love your sage table! Where did you get that if I may ask?

• marthaelena
    13 years ago

Pretty.
    I love the idea of adding B&W art on the walls - not sure if the frame should be white. I'd go with a dark frame with a white wide mat.
    Could you share any info about the painting over the mantle?

• loribee
    13 years ago

Absolutely LOVE every bit of it...especially that couch!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I love the paint and the rug and the art over the FP! Beautiful!

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I think the rug in the room is perfect. I can't help but wonder, though, what if the dining room was painted a different color (for variety) and then the colors cross pollinated into each of the rooms....

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Lots of great stuff going on there! The only thing that catches my eye is the alignment of living room furniture with the dining table -- sort of like the dining table could slide right between the seating area, if it wanted to. Could the dining table be rotated 90-degrees, or could the seating area be rotated 45-degrees to align with fireplace? Or you could split up the chairs to either side of the sofa, and have sofa face fireplace.

• prill
    13 years ago

I too think it looks perfect. I'm looking for blue for my lr... Can you tell me what color that is and where u found your rug?

• bh401
    13 years ago

I think it looks great. You can do some silver or gray accents or throw in some sutble pops of color. I wouldn't change a thing. You just need some accessories so it's not all blue:)

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,
    thanks for the nice words!
    prill, the paint is "Pumice" by Restoration Hardware.
    I found the rug at HomeGoods, of all places! We looked all over the place for rugs and I happened to be shopping for candles and it caught my eye.

gwbr, we're going to play with the placement of the dining table this weekend. It's a heavy table so moving it is a pain, but I agree with you the alignment isn't quite right. We just had the movers bring it in and plop it down and we haven't had a chance to find the right placement yet.

ummm, thanks for the tips! The dining table was custom made by a LA carpenter who makes dining tables out of re-claimed wood. As for your tip about painting the "brown table", were you referring to the little red table? We don't have a brown table except for the small round table b/t the two chairs.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Very pretty and serene. I like the colors a great deal.

• ummm
    13 years ago

I was referring to the little side table in the 2nd photo - kinda in between the dinning room and living room, under the black and white framed photo? Maybe it's red. It's in the shadow so it looks brownish on the monitor. (can't see the table between the 2 chairs... I guess if it is the same red then it matches then and discard my comments :)

• prill
    13 years ago

Sorry, I see you said what the paint color is right in your first post. Looks like RH doesn't make that color anymore. Maybe I can get a sample match someplace.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prill, I just bought a can of Pumice a few weeks ago, so I think they still make it, unless they just recently discontinued it. It falls under the 'Flint' collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flint Paint - RH

• prill
    13 years ago

pipdog - I'll have my daughter check, she lives near one. I can't believe that color looks so blue!