Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Yea or nay on chair fabric

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

I'm really torn. I like the fabric...it's like a velveteen and is very soft to the touch though it has a stiff backing, no loops for cats claws to catch in, but I'm concerned as, when I sit on it, it wrinkles. If it's upholstered, will the wrinkles come out?

I didn't like it at first as it blended into the room too well and was blah...DH agrees. But then I looked at it again, and it is the monochromatic look I was going for. And I can always add a pillow and antimacassars for color. And the color is just about a perfect match with the rug and the wall. And the color is neutral enough that it can be redeployed should I redo the room in the future.

I can return the fabric with a restocking fee, but it means driving 90+ minutes each way to get there.

Please help...Yea or nay?

Comments (33)

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

I think it makes the chair look very inviting. The combination of the monochromatic look with the gentle touches of blue and the sun streaming is so soothing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

To me, it's not either a yay or a nay. Does that make sense? It's very nice but unremarkable. But there is nothing wrong with that! Especially for that spot.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, mtnrd, it makes perfect sense...and why I'm still torn...

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I agree. Not sure if it is "okay" or "fantastic," but I think "okay." I would like for you to absolutely fantastic.

• chispa
    10 years ago

My first thought was "boring". Love the alcove and that fabric doesn't add anything to your window treatments. It seems to copy the fabric on the panels, but it just looks like you had extra fabric and did the drapes and chair in it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Maybe, just thinking here, if you did something like that but used some very interesting blue piping?

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Nay. Especially if it wrinkles.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

If you want the monochromatic look this fabric looks lovely and, as you said, you can bring in color with a blue pillow or even a throw. Also as stated, keeping it neutral means you can move it to other rooms in the future.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

The room has a very serene feel with the monochromatic theme. That's how I like my bedroom to feel.

• tfitz1006
    10 years ago

I think it's pretty but I might go for a little something more, although keeping it subtle, maybe like the thibault lattices or tree branches. That said, it's a lovely room. I'd stay in my room all day if I lived there!

This post was edited by tfitz1006 on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 16:57

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

The fabric does look very nice and the monochromatic look is very soothing. Add a pillow to bring in the blue and voila! However, I would fully investigate the wrinkling thing. Not sure how you determine if that will continue once it is upholstered, maybe ask your upholsterer since they usually have expertise with fabric. Will the stiff backing help it keep its shape?

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

At first glance, I thought it seemed rather bland, but looking at your room again I don't think that anything "lively" would look quite right there. The monochromatic scheme is so calming for a bedroom, I say go for it. Especially if the fabric is cozy and inviting, that's the whole point right? Then add a pillow and throw for color and texture.

Looks like a lovely place to curl up with a book.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

It's a "yay" vote from me. Love that calming, monochromatic vibe
    for bedrooms.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I think if you add a pillow and antimacassars that coordinate with the valance and bedding, it's a go. There's more positives than negatives: the monochromatic, soothing look, (the ahhh factor) and something you can easily redeploy. (I believe you have enough pattern in the room - the bedding, valance, tapestry and rug - and that the soothing monochromatic mood will flow (ahhh) with this simple fabric for the chair.) Love this room - so beautiful!

• deegw
    10 years ago

I would like to see a bit darker fabric or a very subtle pattern that reads solid to visually anchor the chair. To me, even with the blue accent, the light color causes the chair to float around the space.

• User
    10 years ago

Too light.

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

Cleaning a concern?

Some newer Crypton fabrics have nice texture. I am done with solid light colored fabrics that require cleaning with solvents.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, redhouse...I think it looks restful too.

Patricia, I really want fantastic too, but I've seem to run out of options which is why I'm even considering settling.

Chispa, I was afraid that the chair would blend in too much with the walls. The drape fabric actually has a diamond pattern to it that isn't visible in the pics so they don't match at all, and they are a very different texture.

mtnrd, I'm concerned about a contrast piping that it may undo the soft look I want.

ellendi, that's my biggest concern...the wrinkling. I certainly don't want the fabric if it's going to look lousy all the time.

Thanks, joanie and k9...that serene look is really what I'm going for...but need to walk the line between serene and dull.

tfitz, I do like the lattice look but haven't found one I like yet. Funny you should say branches as they are in the wall paper I want to put on the accent wall....

kellie, yeah, I can talk to the upholsterer about the wrinkling but I'm afraid that just sitting on it for a minute tells me the story.

sweet-tea, thank you. Cozy corner is definitely where I'm going...I often read there, nap there and meditate there...it's also the best seat for watching the birds at the feeders. So I definitely want it to be special.

Thank you Irish for your vote!

Thanks, zen4d. You are right that I already have a lot of pattern in the room...the valances, the drapes, the comforter, the bed skirt, the rug, and the dresser scarf are all different. Additionally I want to add patterned wall paper on the accent wall, so I have to be really careful about adding more. Especially if I want to be in "ahhs".

dee and kswl, thanks for your comments. You agree with DH that it is too light. The fabric I found that I really liked for the chair had some of that light beige in it with the blue very similar to the color in the drapes, but it was too loose a weave to use for upholstery. I found a similar upholstery weight fabric at Osgood's but it was too green. If I could only marry the two, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Celticmoon, cleaning was also an issue. It's just me using the chair now, but if we get a cat in the spring....so I was thinking if I went with the light color, I do have fabric leftover from the drapes and could make "doilies" as my MIL used to call them, for the chair to protect the fabric.

I really appreciate everyone's input! It helps me think clearly about the decision....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A decision has been made. I'm returning the fabric when the snow clears. I'm concerned mostly about the wrinkling, the ease of cleaning, and the lightness...and I really want the choice to be 100% satisfying.

What amazes me is I made lightning speed decisions while we were building as there were so many to make, and now that I'm to this punch list stuff, it takes forever to make a single choice. What's up with that????

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Looks as if you've made your decision - but as far as the wrinkling goes - you're not slipcovering, you're upholstering right?
    Any tight upholstery isn't going to wrinkle. The only way it can wrinkle is if there is extra fabric to pull into wrinkles. Unless you've got a full polyester velvet (yuck!) all velvets will wrinkle until they're pulled tight and sewn down.
    So, I wouldn't let that part of the equation nix the fabric. I happen to like it, but I guess that's because it's the look I'm wanting for my bedroom sitting area - calm.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mlweaving, but I'm still concerned as the back cushion is a loose one and not tightly upholstered. Also I'm concerned as the backing on the fabric is so stiff...I'm afraid it won't give the soft corners I need. If the back cushion was a box cushion, I'd be less concerned, but it's not.

I'm pretty confident this fabric is not the right one. I'll just have to continue my search. I agree with you though that the look is one of ease...and definitely something I'm going for.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

nay here too... i think it's a good choice to keep looking!

• jen9
    10 years ago

Guess Iam in the minority - I think it is FANTASTIC. Looks upscale, quiet & inviting. Gives a lot of flexibility for a throw, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks busybee and jen, I appreciate both of your inputs..even if they offset one another. The fact that the group POV is split tells me I'm close if not quite there....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, done deal. We had a day without snow and I returned the other fabric. The hand really had me concerned.

So now I found another one and it is the one. The color is deeper gold, more like the rug, so it doesn't disappear or float in the room. It's interesting as, in the light, it has a bit of a sheen almost like a satin. But mostly I love the feel. The hand is very pliable. It's a very soft microsuede that feels almost like a moleskin. So soft against the skin. And I tested it for wrinkles and they fall right out. And it was about 1/2 the price of the other one. So I got a couple of extra yards so I could make pillows or what not.

I hope you all like it, but if not, that's ok too...I'm happy. I'm ready to call the upholsterer.

GF hates this kind of fabric as it leaves tracks and marks and such, but I think it's part of the beauty of the fabric....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hah! The fabric almost matches the library sofa and now I realize it is also a close match to the smaller chair I had in there before this one. No wonder it looks right to me. Am I stuck in a rut or what!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like it!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Pretty and I get wanting to be closer to the rug tones than the wall tones.

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

Loved the first fabric and love this one even more! The space looks so elegant and soothing.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I love it!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys. Now I can't wait for it to be finished.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

that's better! i don't mind brush marks either in that type of fabric!

i'm just disappointed you're not tackling this yourself!! :)
    (easy for me to say--i who took out 4 different diy upholstery books from the library ~ 8 yrs ago to try doing 2 old wing chairs... and then chose not to take on the challenge!!)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think so, busybee. Upholstering is just too much like work. My mother did a chair and it came out pretty good, but she was more into sewing than I and much more motivated. When I see the experts do it with their staple guns and just zip zip zip, and the quality of the outcome, in my mind, it is really a job best done by someone other than me!