Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumble_doodle

Any photos of 'refreshed' knotty pine kitchens?

bumble_doodle
14 years ago

I've seen several posts requesting advice for updating 1960's knotty pine kitchens, but I have yet to see any 'after' pictures. Does anyone have any photos they'd be willing to share?

I am particularly interested in cabinets that have been painted, as a complete gut job is not in the budget. My doors are planked and I thought painting them would make them look more cottage-y and less dated.

I plan on replacing the existing formica countertops with stone. I also plan on replacing the existing iron strap hinges and pulls, but I've just realized the offset hinges could be a problem.

Any advice/photos would be appreciated....

Comments (21)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

bumble doodle, Sorry I don't have any photos to share, but would really like to see a photo of your kitchen.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Here's a couple sites I found for you.

YoungHouseLoveKitchen

LindasKitchen

• eandhl
    14 years ago

I don't have any but I have seen photos from a company that did "spruce up" your kitchens and it was remarkable.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Aww--- I liked the first kitchen better in the knotty pine: it was charming. (this from someone who doesnt have to live with it). The second pine kitchen, yeah, not so much.

I would like to see pictures of what your kitchen looks like now:)

• colette7
    14 years ago

We, like you, could not afford to gut our kitchen, so we had our knotty pine cabinets painted. We don't get much light in our kitchen, so the lighter cabinets really brightened up the room. I don't think your hinges would be a problem. We used to have pulls on our upper cabinets, but our painter filled the holes and replaced them with knobs. You can not tell where the holes used to be.

We already had granite countertops when we bought our home, but I would like to replace the backsplash eventually.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and After Knotty Pine Kitchen

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

Colette7, your "after" kitchen is absolutly beautiful. I love it.

And your kitty is so well behaved! LOL

• bicoastal
    14 years ago

We have 50's 60's GOOD quality knotty pine cabs complete with the wrought iron hinges etc in my parents kitchen. We re-vamped the kitchen and upgraded modestly (by opening up one side) and did not move the cabs...there was one wall of them.
    Sorry but they are in Calif and I dont have fotos.
    But the results were really really good and they and we are still enjoying.
    Here's what was done:
    the doors and exteriors were completely stripped of varnish or whatever, sanded very satiny smooth and re-finished with a clear sealant (many coats). So the color of the pine is now quite appealing espec because in those days the pine was better! and yes, the knots show but with a lighter more golden overall wood, they look good.
    We considered painting over for the cottage look but to get it even enuf so that the knots were not so apparent, would have meant a fair amt of the same prep work.
    We then CONNECTED these preexisting pine cabs to an adjacent wall by installing three open shelves in an L ...wrapping the corner and continuing along the adjacent wall. These were done in pine with the end panel being pine. It was an important element because it emphasized a country cottage open-display look and made the pine cabinets look fresher/different.

Good luck

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies - I will try and take some photos tonight!

Collete7, your kitchen came out great and it's exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish! DH has been having a difficult time wrapping his head around painting the wood. I can't wait to show him your space.

bicoastal, your refresh sounds interesting. I like the idea of the open shelving but I don't think I'm tidy enough to pull it off! Lol.

We've been in the house for 9 years and I've tried to come to terms with the pine - REALLY - but I just can't do it. It's SO dark and depressing and the room never gets any direct sunlight. It's awful and BLAH and everywhere.

I probably also should have started a thread asking if anyone regretted painting their pine..... :)

• colette7
    14 years ago

bumble doodle - I went through several months of doubt and anxiety before I finally decided to have my cabinets painted. I can give you details, like what type of paint and the process our painter used - later tonight if you like. If not done correctly, the knots could absorb the paint and show through.

caroline - thanks for the compliment!

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

This site talks about painting knotty pine (more about tongue and groove but also cabinets) and the need for good primer. You might find some helpful info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion on painting knotty pine

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

I was hoping that link would show the discussion (44 comments). Go below the photo to "Good questions, should we paint over our knotty pine tongue and groove?"

Personally, I say go for it.

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Colette7 - Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

justgotabme and natesgramma, thanks for the links - they're a big help.

• barb5
    14 years ago

I love Bicoastal's suggestion that stripping old varnish, sanding, and recoating can be an option. I have knotty pine kitchen cabs and I love them. They have a warmth that, IMHO, paint will never acheive.

Bumble doodle, if you hate your cabs and have your heart set on painting them, then that is what you should do. But if you aren't, here is a pic of my kitchen cabs (excuse the mess, I am decorating cookies, and the kitchen is command center in my house). I love the golden color of the pine.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So this is what I'm faced with - I couldn't get a wide shot without having it blow out from the ceiling light, but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

My cabinets are by no mean as nice at Colette7's or Barb5's but I guess my main question is this: would paint help or hurt?

There is a tiny butlers pantry through a doorway to the left of these cabs (yes, more knotty pine). Matching lowers below.

{{!gwi}}

Obviously whoever designed this kitchen was not a cook, as they plunked the fridge far too close to the stove. There is a double window to the right of the stove and then another row of 4 KP w/ matching lowers:
    {{!gwi}}

• saray7997
    14 years ago

I think depending on the style of the rest of your house and your decorating, you could make these cabinets work without painting them. I understand your worry that they look dated. I think by refreshing the cabinets, and changing the formica and backsplash, you could have a very beautiful, charming space.
    I have 1960's cherry cabinets that I debated whether or not to paint b/c they were very dingy and I just hated the look of the kitchen. We did not have the money for new cabinet installation, and our remodel was 100% DIY. After posting on the kitchens and old house forum, I decided against painting them. I 'refreshed' them and am soooo happy I didn't paint. Granted, knotty pine is not cherry, but it still has a certain charm to it that painting would take away.
    If you decide not to paint, my advice would be to test what finish you have on them. Then, remove the hardware and give them a good washing with some fine steel wool and TSP and rinse them completely. Then re-coat them with a compatible finish (i.e. poly, tung oil, varnish). Make sure you do a test with your new finish in an inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't gum up, etc.
    Before:

Mid-remodel: (Needs more trim work, painting, new window, etc.) You get the idea with the cabinets. Excuse the clutter and the flaws that the flash picks up, this was snapped hastily!

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

saray7997, thank you for posting your photos. I like where you're going with your refresh!

One of the reasons I'm on the fence is because most of the house has painted woodwork/trim and to me, it doesn't seem to flow. It's just the kitchen, pantry and laundry/mudroom that have 60's knotty pine. The PO's also added some to the DR but it would be an easy fix.

Last night DH suggested doing a 'test' with the laundry room and I think he may be on to something. It's out of the way and if we decide it doesn't look right, then no significant harm will be done to the house.

We live in the country - CT dutch colonial- so going rustic or cottage isn't out of the norm. I'd just really like a space I'm comfortable cooking in.

Thanks for the heads up on the Old House forum. I never really even thought of stopping in there as most New England houses aren't considered 'old' unless they were built in the 1800's or earlier...lol :)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The original fridge would have been much smaller and approximately counter depth.

Although I like knotty pine kitchens as kind of a historical thing, I can understand that they are making your kitchen dark. I think they could look nice painted.

I would keep the wrought iron hardware and the scalloped valances...they are so much a part of the "look".

• suero
    14 years ago

Here's what your cabinets could look like with lighter wood.

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

palimpsest, the fridge was a mistake on our part. It's big, not as big as it seems in the photo, and it has been nothing but problems since we bought it. It will eventually be replaced with something much smaller as I'd rather have a larger freezer in another location. We really only use the refrigerator for produce, cold cuts and beverages. The freezer, however, is packed with home made stock, soups, sauces, etc.

DH would like to keep the hardware too. I have seen painted woodwork with original iron hardware in a lot of the historical homes in the area. I just wasn't sure if the same look could be pulled off in a non-period home.

suero, than you for the mockup - I have copied it to my kitchen folder for future reference.

My goal is to complete the refresh in the Fall so I'm trying to research all of my options well in advance. Thank you all for your advice!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The manufacturers don't really give you much choice. Refrigerators have gotten gigantic, and especially deep.

I have been looking for a fridge for my parents' kitchen and out of 100s, there are a handful that might work, several of which are so Deep they will really protrude.

I hope I didnt sound critical, I was just making an observation as to how that design originally worked better.

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No worries palimpsest, you weren't critical at all! I just wish the original designer didn't put it so darn close to the stove. Or maybe I just wish the stove was somewhere else - there's plenty of room.

I can't even begin to tell you how annoyed I get trying to cook Thanksgiving dinner. My 'loving' family jams me into the stove every time they open the fridge door! It's painfully apparent (literally) that our kitchen was built at a time when there was just one cook in the house. :)

It was also built for someone who was left handed, but that's a whole different story... lol.