Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

How high to hang these art pieces over nightstands

sis2two
11 years ago

Recently I purchased these two pictures to go over my nightstands. I am wondering about how high to go without going too high? I guess what I really need to know is how much wall space to leave between bottom of picture and nightstand. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I'd go about 6 inches above the nightstand:

[Contemporary Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Nashville Interior Designer AB HOME Interiors

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures/nightstands

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am with Janice.. 6" or I'd probably go even a little less. I like larger frames to be close to the top of the nightstand to keep them "connected".

I like the warmth they bring to your room!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Interesting - I think those examples look a bit strange with the lamps covering up most of the pictures.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Me too. Why would you do that? Why wouldn't the lamps connect it all? I just would never think to block the picture.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I think this would work here - especially since the lamps are glass.

You would still see the majority of the print - and the shades are neutral and blend in with the colors in the print.

In a perfect world, if the nightstands were wider, the prints could be centered and the lamp place on the outer side of the stands.

But given the neutral palette, it works for me.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm with Janice.
    And I would move the nightstands so that they are at the most convenient spot beside you, and the same distance from the bed, so that the spaces between the headboard and the two pictures are equal. The convenience of the nightstand placement would then dictate the position of the pictures, and the whole wall then relates to the bed in a nice way.

And although i am a fan of good-sized shades, I might consider replacing those with ones that are essentially the same height, but more triangular, so that more of the print is visible. I think they'd work fine with your simple pretty lamps.

Like these (not the pleats in the first one - just the shape):

• funkyart
    11 years ago

even at 6" most of the image will be viewable even with the lamp there.. and to me, it looks odd to have artwork hovering over the top of a lamp and well above the nightstand.

I treat bedrooms differently than I do other rooms because it's such a more intimate space. This is the room I decorate around me-- and being in bed. Anything visual that is near the bed would drive me batty if it was high and just out of eye shot. Across the room is different.. but that's also outside of the cocoon.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Interesting. I think I can't really apply this guideline. We have our beds on the floor - they are 18 inches, so it is plenty high for us. my nightstand is two wall baskets hung over each other, but they are not too high. So, if I hang pictures just over the night stands they will be really low on the wall. Maybe I have to stack a few pictures. Lots to think about.

Thanks for starting this thread!

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Yes - what bronwynsmom suggested. Move the stands closer to the bed....

Target has a great selection of shades --

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much. We did center the bed between the two nightstands. One of our issues that you couldn't see from my picture was that we needed to cover the exsisting nail holes that were there from a previous set of smaller pictures. Don't even get me started about attempting to touch paint up! My dh and I don't like our nightstands right up against the bed so there's probably about six inches now on each side between bed and nightstands.

Brownwynsmom- the lamp shades are a good idea. The lamps are from Pottery Barn and so I'll check about similar shades that you posted. Will post picture shortly of them. Thanks again.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

That looks lovely. Well done!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Janice!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    11 years ago

I agree they should be low and the way you have them hung looks great to me. The would look odd hang above the shades.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

OK, That does look good! Yours looks better than the example photo I think, probably because your lamps are off to the side and do not block as much of the art.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, very nice!
    I always need the lamps closer, because I read in bed a lot, but your arrangement looks great. Well arranged and well balanced.

I'm glad you like the lampshade idea. I think it will put the icing on the cake!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much. PB does have the shades so that's good. I'm glad you all like it.