Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Lots of questions about this very old entry bench

bac717
14 years ago

DH and I just moved this very old bench into our entry and I'm hoping to get some answers to a few questions I have. First of all, a little background on the piece. Altho it was not original to the home, this bench was in my in-law's summer home for at least 60 years. That home was sold about 5 years ago and the bench has been sitting in our basement since then. When we recently did some rearranging in the LR, I moved the console table from the entry and ended up with space for the bench. The round mirror was above the table and I've left it there for now. So, my first question is, does the mirror work with the bench? If not, what could I do with the wall space above the bench? FYI, the bench is 40" wide and the mirror is 33" wide.

Second of all, what would you do with the open back of the bench? My theory on this piece is that it originally was built into an entry along a staircase wall and that's why there's no back. The angle of this cutout area makes me think that. It's cut out like that only on the left side.

Third, I'm wondering how much, if anything, I should do to clean up the finish on the bench. There are a few paint splotches that I will try to remove, but beyond that I don't know how much 'character' to leave. Any thought? Here are a few pics showing the condition of the bench along the bottom.

One more pic to show the thickness of the beadboard on the front of this bench. It's 3/4" thick!

And the last pic showing the bench a little closer.

Any thoughts on this bench will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Barb

Comments (19)

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Love it. I think a fabric cushion for a back would be just the right touch.

• teacats
    14 years ago

I would love to see a custom cut of wood (shaped with a wide U-shape in the middle to follow the round curve of the mirror)

Then upholster the new wood backing (use plywood or a cheaper cut) with a worn-looking tapestry fabric. Or maybe a simple heavy cream linen or burlap.

Add lighted electrical sconces on each side of the mirror. Or a small round antique (perhaps painted black to echo the mirror?) table with a black iron lamp.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I wonder if you could add beadboard to the back, stained to match, eve though you might not find 3/4" material?

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I've seen the tongue and groove beadboard like that at Home Depot. I think it would be the best way to add a back IF you can match the stain or refinish it so it all matches. It's really an interesting piece and my guess is you're right about it once being a built in by a stairway.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Another thought is to notch out the other side and just put a board (stained) across the back.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

You could send it to me LOL! I've been looking for something to fit next to our stairs!

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming because no one said the mirror isn't working, that it looks fine there. Or am I incorrect in my assumption???

I like the idea of copying the shape of the mirror in the back. Or how would a few pillows look, just to soften it a bit? I had also thought about repeating the beadboard on the back, but matching the stain would be quite challenging.

Any other ideas?

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

It's an interesting piece ; I would sand it and restain it to even out the color and luster, it will still have character. Try putting a few pillows and show us what it looks like.

Like ajsmama said, a board along the back would balance out the high sides,
    at a height where it would be logical to lean back on.
    I keep looking at the round mirror and I'm finding it too contemporary looking, although I'm stumped as to what shape would look best above your bench.

• loribee
    14 years ago

I like Jan's idea....
    So fun to use family pieces!

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

what about beadboard on back and painting bench and back a cool distressed red or black? it reminds me of this shaker bench [i LOVE it] from plow hearth but beadboard...
    http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=0amp;department=0amp;search_type=normal&search_value=bench&cur_index=&pcode=1363

or what about a fabric back mounted to wall? i'm picturing something like the fabric headboards they're always doing on those shows on HGTV. that might be cool...of course makes it hard to move around. LOL.

It's cool as is with throw pillows as well...

Trish

• Oakley
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous piece of furniture! I like the idea of putting a board in for the back and I guess you'd have to stain the whole thing to make it match.

And with decorative pillows on it, it would be beautiful!

Tntw, don't you just love Plow and Hearth?

• User
    14 years ago

Hi Barb, what a great piece for your entryway! I love the history and the style of the bench. Here's my thoughts on your questions:

Mirror - I personally don't think it fits. IMHO the mirror looks too modern for it. Living in cold country, I'd take my que from that bench and make that area a quaint "mud room" space with coat hooks, a nice rug and an umbrella bin.

Back of Bench - I like the idea of matching the bottom but think that it could get a little busy. I might opt for something a bit more plain that sort of mimics the back of a pew bench or has just some block trim to frame it. A nice seat cushion would be pretty.

Clean up - As far as the character of the piece goes, I think that's really a personal choice and how well it fits into the space. It seems like if you're going to add a back to it, you'll need to sand the whole thing and re-stain it so the woods match but how much of the character you sand off is really just a matter of what you like. If you decide you want to leave it in it's rougher condition, you could distress the new wood you use for a backing some so it matches.

On the other hand, I found these great inspirations as well to give you some ideas they all have something that could be incorporated into the bench:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-entry-beach-style-entry-boston-phvw-vp~34472-Hill-Rhode-Island-Residence-traditional-entry-boston

http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/_images/portfolio/sarahs-house/laundry-mud-room/image2.jpg

http://www.renovationdesigngroup.com/images/portfolio/13/Mudroom%20-%20After.jpg

• stolenidentity
    14 years ago

I don't think you should in any way alter that bench. The mirror is okay but I would take it away and replace it with some kind of hook system where you could hang hats, coats, etc for guests who enter your home. You could even hang some decorative 'stuff' from there, or maybe put something with a shelf and hooks. The mirror can even remain in the space and move to one side or the other.

• prairiemom61
    14 years ago

I agree with sasafras, do not alter the bench. You can clean it up a bit with Briwax, a natural cleaner that will also return the luster to the wood. Finish it off with a cushion and/or a pillow or two. I'm okay with the mirror. I think once you clean up the bench and add some color with pillows, the mirror will be less of a focus. It's handy to have a mirror near an entrance/exit.

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I REALLY do appreciate all the replies to my questions on this bench, as well as the inspiration pictures. As mitchdesj requested, here are some pics showing a few pillows on the bench. They are just pillow forms I have in my stash. The first pic shows an 18" square with a 12"X16" rectangle. As you can see, I moved the rug from in front of the front door to centered in front of the bench, just to see what it looks like. Does it add or detract from the bench? It leaves the area near the door bare and that's where I really need a rug, tho. I also added a plant, again, just to see what it looks like.

This picture show a 20" square with an 18" square.

I'm sure there are endless possibilites with shapes and sizes. I think the pillows may be just enough for now. What do you think? Is 2 enough?

If I don't keep the mirror there (altho, I really do like having a mirror in the entry), I have 3 old glass door knobs from my in-laws that I've always wanted to mount to a piece of wood and use as hooks. I also like the idea of a shelf.

Prairiemom, where can I find Briwax? I googled it and it seems like just the thing to clean up the bench and leave all the charm. Have you used the product?

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I love how it looks now. I'd still make the hook idea with the glass knobs and place them on the wall to the left of the bench. And yes, I do like the mirror there. It looks great.

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Becky, I think the pillows are an improvement. Just have to figure out what size, configuration and number. And then of course, there will be the difficult part of choosing a fabric.

I moved the rug back to closer to the door, but still a little in front of the bench. I may try to find something a little longer, but I can't do any wider.

• stolenidentity
    14 years ago

The pillows look great, and the mirror is not so prominent. AND - Those door knobs are perfect for hooks! I have made those as gifts and actually have several hanging around our home. You can use old found wood, or go to the home store and buy a corner block and simply drill a hole and wah lah! AND YES, to the left of the bench. Nice change, it looks lovely so far!!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

The pillows are an improvement, but it still looks like the bench is missing a back. The sides are too high. If you don't want to modify the bench, you could always put beadboard and a rail up behind the bench (just the bench, I don't think I'd do the whole wall) so that it *looks* like a back.

I love the door knob coat hook idea.