Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkrzyz22_gw

help me with my plain master bedroom! lots of pics!

mkrzyz22
16 years ago

We have this HUGE master bedroom and I feel it's very empty. I think we have a good start, I like the duvet and we just made the upholstered headboard (although I think maybe we should have done it in chocolate brown instead..oh, well...), nightstands are ok, I just put those lamps there...wasn't sure what else to do with them, am interested in your thoughts on those or another option for nightstand lamp. I'd love to know what you think should go above bed as far as art work is concerned and what window treatments you suggest as well. Also, the room feels so empty...there are some spaces that feel like maybe we need more furniture here. A chaise lounge or love seat perhaps? Flat screen will be hung on that wall and either we will leave that marble table under it with picture frames on it or move to another wall. Any ideas on accent colors? I feel it's very taupe in here....baby blue or chocolate pillows for the bed?

Also, I originally wanted to put a brown leather bench at the end of the bed but we had this cedar chest in the garage and my dad made it so we are using it there for the time being....

I'm open to all suggestions...please help me though...I am clueless here!

Thanks!

Comments (25)

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

What a pretty color palette!! You have a lot to work with!

I would get a more substantial piece of furniture to put underneath the flat screen I think. Even a longer dresser to put frames/candles on and clothing in.

The wall in pics #2/3 might be nice with an armoire or a tall, chunky framed mirror leaned up against the wall. I can see a chaise or chair & a half in the corner of pic #5. Or you could do two slipper chairs with a table/lamp in between them in front of the two windows in the last pic.

Would LOVE to see more of that pretty blue brought in with pillows and accessories!! As far as wall art, it's all about what you like! The link below has some pretty art ideas - you could do a grouping of three over the bed... some candle wall sconces would be nice as well!!

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf print

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

citymomof3- Thank you for your suggestions! I do agree with you regarding a more substantial piece of furniture under the TV, however, hubby hates dressers in the room and won't allow this :(...especially since we have a huge walk in closet. I like the idea of the big floor mirror on the one wall but again, he won't go for the armoire :(

I also like the idea of either the chaise or two chairs & table like you suggested! I also love the idea of the wall sconces!
    Thanks!
    Please keep the ideas coming everyone :-)

• acla
    16 years ago

If your husband won't go for a dresser in the room, I think chairs would be a great idea. That would help take up the empty space and it would offer a nice living area in the room.

Also, some window coverings would be nice. But I can't offer any advice in that category as I have yet to decide on any for my own home.

What color is your wall paint? I really like it.

• syllabus
    16 years ago

Either a love seat or 2 chairs on the wall w/ the 2 windows to the left of the bed. One ottoman to share and a table between the chairs or to one side of a loveseat. Either a table lamp or a floor lamp for that area.

Is he against bookcases? To the right of the bed is a good spot for a comfortable chair, reading light and a long, low bookcase. You can put books, magazines, photo albums, etc. on the case to fill it up.

Art should be something you love. You need to give us more of an idea about that.

Bring out more of that lovely blue. A throw on a chair or the ottoman, pillows, maybe do simple window treatments consisting of that blue.

So many others are really good at this and are sure to chime in. I just can't get over not having ANY dressers in a bedroom! LOL! But then we live in a house w/ small closets. Our BR is quite good sized and we have 4 dressers in there! Your DH would hate it!

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

You have such a great room. I agree that you need something bigger under the tv. Blue and brown sound great to me. Look at these curtains from jc penney. I hope the link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: jc penney

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

acla- the paint color is BM Cotswald

syllabus- I'm not sure he would like the bookcase idea...maybe if it was simple and modern. I like the idea a lot though! As far as art work goes, we like simple, modern...maybe black & white photographs but then again...would like to bring in more color...

mlraff53- Those curtains are gorgeous! DH was thinking Roman Shades but I do think curtains would be so much more elegant!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Since you lean a little to the contemporary, how about a parson's type console table for your flat screen? Or even between the two windows with a comfy chair for reading.

• witmom
    16 years ago

mkrzyz22- I love what you have started in your master bedroom. I'm going to try out a sample of the paint you used in our master. That is exactly what I've been looking for. I was wondering if you would mind sharing the information on your comforter as well. It is perfect.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

witmom- oh, thank you! I'm glad my room inspired you! The paint color is gorgeous in person. I bought the duvet from Home Goods and i believe maybe the package said Hotel Collection Duvet. It was purchased a few months ago, hopefully you can find it there or maybe check out TJ MAXX.

Here is a similar one I found

Here is a link that might be useful: Duvet

• Kathy Bochonko
    16 years ago

How does dh feel about a reflecting pool and a wall of glass?

Just kidding, but that is cool isn't it?

But seriously, I saw this beautiful console table at Ethan Allen. It would be perfect under your tv with a couple of cube style ottomans underneath.
    {{!gwi}}
    I could also see some sort of large rectangular panels on the wall behind the bed, this is the shape I am thinking, but I see it in a dark wood or even artwork or canvases in this shape, but strong simple contemporary lines. These look like lighted panels or something. I just like the shape
    {{!gwi}}

I need to think about window treatments. I definitely think at least two chairs and a table over by the two windows and something over on that wall on the other side of the room. The chest is beautiful, but I have been getting a contemporary vibe from the minimalist style your husband seems drawn to and then I am not seeing the chest/trunk staying. A large mirror on the floor framed in a big black or espresso frame might be good leaned against the wall or even three of them like they did in the picture with the reflecting pool. (Of course 3 mirrors would be too much if you do 3 rectangular art pieces as well.) Well that is all I have for now, but I love the stuff you have so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: more cool contemporary bedrooms

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathyga z7- wow, thank you for all your input! That room is cool & I bet Dh would love it..hehe.
    The console table is GORGEOUS and with two ottomans would be perfect! YUM! Oh and that inspiration room is to die for...definetly our style! LOve the idea of the panels behind the bed. Of course three pieces of art hanging would be more realisticmfor us but very cool indeed!

I agree...the chest at the end of the bed is not ideal at all...not modern enough.

Thanks for the link and I can't wait to see what you think about window treatments!
    Thanks so much!!

• denali2007
    16 years ago

I think that the drapes from Penny's would be fantastic in there. I have been eying those myself for a room I am Painting the BM Aura paint called Azores.

Is cotswold an Aura color.I thought of that for my entry way.

Also can you share how you made the headboard?

Good luck with your room. You have a great start!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Cotswald is an Aura paint.
    For the headboard, DH constructed the wood back out of wood boards he had and we stapled foam padding over it then on top of that stretched batting and stapled it over the foam. We made the fabric part and stretched and stapled that over it as well. Sorry my description is not very good but here is a link that we got our instructions from.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a headboard

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

How about a contemporary bar/server under your flatscreen? Like this...

{{!gwi}}

You could add floor to ceiling drapes over the two small windows on each side of the bed. It will help frame the bed and give the room a more finished and cozy look.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Server

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jodi-I like that server..DH loves wine...could be an option ;) I do like the idea of the curatins framing in the bad area...I did think that it needed to feel more 'nestled' in. So my question is...if we do the curtains...should I do two panels for each window (one on each side of the window) or do would one panel on each windo be ok (trying to save $$ here)? Hmmm...just wondering....

Just thinking about the idea of sconces on each side of bed area and I found these....what do ya think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sconces

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

You have a great space to work with!!
    What about an upholstered wall behind your bed ...with a very natural linen
    {{!gwi}}
    Cool garden seat in there, too.
    A console that lifts the plasma tv - up and down

Chaise??

This pic is pretty cool - mirror - coffee table and sofa

With scrumptious blue silk drapes on the windows.

Just some ideas....maybe not your style.

Smiles:)

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I am so jealous of your room size, it looks to be the size of about half my home! :-)

I personally feel the windows on each side of your bed look too small, too high and out of place, almost like they were afterthoughts, which is why I suggested putting drapes up. Just one or two full-length (floor to ceiling) panels to hide the windows completely. That will give the illusion there are larger windows there while framing the bed. Even something more contemporary might work like rattan or wood shades as long as they go to the floor.

Jodi-

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnatemp- I love all the ideas you have...must convince DH now....;)

jodi-sometimes I think the room is too big and wish we would have done a larger bathroom or something...
    I think I convinced DH that we need those curtains from Penny's...YAY!!!! Oh and he likes the mirror idea as well.

• Kathy Bochonko
    16 years ago

I like the wine idea! ;)

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Your room is very pretty. I see beautiful blue drapes and throw pillows.

You definitely need some chairs or a chaise to help fill the space. What about plants? A tall tree or two would help fill in some space. Don't forget the uplights if you get the large trees. Great mood lighting.

I'm so glad my DH doesn't want a say about furniture. He has a little input, but really wants me to make the decisions.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brutuses- good call on the plants. I'd love a huge palm but it's the shady side of the house. I love mood lighting too;)
    Lucky you that DH lets you make the decisions!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

There are large plants that belong to the corn plant family that would survive in shaded areas. Talk to someone at your local nursery or better yet go over to the garden forum and ask them the names of the large inside plants that tolerate shade.

If large tall ones aren't in order, you can hang some nice ivy from the ceiling in pretty containers. Visually it would help fill in the space.

• denali2007
    16 years ago

for the headboard instructions and link. Please post pics of you bedroom when done. With all these suggestions I think it will look fantastic.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

denali 2007- no problem! I will post a follow up when done for sure!

• kraftdee
    16 years ago

I think a chaise from crate and barrel would look good in this room. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/daybeds-chaises/furniture/1 This is what I want in my own mb. I'm living vicariously since we haven't begun our redo. Your room looks great so far.