Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Living Room/Library in progress Pics

jenangelcat
15 years ago

In 2005 we moved into this house and the first thing we did was rip up the ugly shag carpet, refinished the hardwood underneath and painted over the grey walls.

That's as far as we got.

I've been dreaming of a cozy libraryesque living room forever and finally decided to move on it. It should be complete by Monday. Here are the pics so far.

Before we moved in (blech);

After initial fix up;

As of last night;

Still left to do;

put doors on the tv cabinet

replace curtains

build 2 end tables (one for the mac) and a table for behind the sofa (where the blue paintings will go)

refinish thrift store coffee table

finish staining the bookshelves

organize everything to go on bookshelves

I'll post the final pics when it's complete. It is now really warm and cozy in here. I've always felt little privacy in this room because we are so close to the street but this isolates us a bit and it's wonderful.

My husband who does not read (ever) said today that the room makes him want to curl up with a good book! If only we had a fireplace...

Comments (12)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Well done indeed! Love your choices -- and your bookshelves! Can't wait to see pics of the finished room!

Thanks for sharing :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

What a transformation! It feels so cosy and inviting. I am a big fan of dark chocolate brown rooms -- thank you for sharing yours!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I like!.....but I have an observation - I do not see any bracing on the shelves. I would hate to see them warping, or worse coming apart, due to weight issues. Usually, shelves have a 1x1 or 1x2 brace underneath each shelf (under each end and back).

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I am jealous of all those shelves! Do you have the books to fill them? I would like to do something similar with the bay window end of my FR. I noticed you put a case (not open shelf, sides and top) over your window. How deep is that (and the ones over the window)? I was thinking going about 8 (1x8 with plywood back) but cousin who's a carpenter thinks it would be too deep, I was even thinking of wrapping around the sides of the bay since I have Romans inside mounted and not curtains but was afraid of it looking like a cave. What are you going to do for curtains? Is the striped wall wallpaper or paint? I really like the stripes - breaks up all the dark brown solids. Can't wait to see finished pictures!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments!

Dh although not employed as one, is a carpenter by trade so he built it all. The wide shelves are braced, it's just not visible. No need to worry.

I have a lot less books than I thought I did! We are trying to collect some from freecyle and friends (one who just threw hundreds away :( ) Dh will also be building some slide out boxes to store misc junk in (toys, wii accessories etc).

All of the shelves are 10" deep except for the unit the tv is on. That is 20". 10 is perfect. 8 would be to shallow for my non fiction stuff. The novels are faced to the front of the shelf.

I have no idea what to do for curtains. We were originally going to use the ones that are there now and hem them to fit but they look horrible. They are too light and flimsy for the room. Not sure if I should go patterned or not, what colour, curtains, blinds or shades. No clue.

I like these but I think black might be too much seeing as the window frame and bookshelves are black.

{{!gwi}}
    I'm going to go out Friday night and see what I can find.

The stripes are wallpaper. It was a spur of the moment decision when we were leaving through the wall covering aisle.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Looks good. TV looks low - is that the right height for veiwing?

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't watch tv. We watch movies on my mac. We don't have cable or satellite, it's just for the wii. I actually want to buy a smaller flat screen for that space. I have no idea what the right viewing height is but it's level with my face (while seated) if that's what you mean?

• budge1
    15 years ago

Beautiful.

If you're trying to fill in space in the shelves, I just saw a great idea on Eddie Ross's blog. He bought some of those cheap wood boxes and painted them the same colour as his shelves and uses them for storing smaller items. Small square wicker baskets would also look nice and break up the books.

I also really like the look of art hanging in front of the shelves - but I know this look is not for everyone.

Lucky you having such a talented DH to do the work. Again, they are just lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to see blue shelves with boxes

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

The black is too dark. How about a Roman shade in a stripe to coordinate with your wallpaper? Mine is a double Roman Spencer II (sheer behind - ignore the tie-ups on tension rods in the bay, look at the slider) in Linen Stripe from JC Penney.

Please help me with my south wall! Cousin (carpenter) is coming over tomorrow to measure and help me decide on final design - I've been putting him off for more than 2 weeks! I don't mean to hijack your thread, but when I see other people's bookcases I want to pick their brains!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you have a pic of the spot you want your shelves?

If it were me I'd probably wrap the shelves around the window. I don't think it would look to much like a cave but then I don't think that cave like is bad!

Def go 10" deep.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

jenangelcat - I didn't want to hijack your thread, I reposted to my old one (new pictures today - scroll to bottom)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0114313517470.html?21

Thanks!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's finished and is looking amazing! The photos are linked below.

I'd like to thank this forum for it's inspiration. Best source of decor ideas ever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living room pics