Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiedawnpam_gw

Decorating with a RED Victorian Love Seat

prairiedawnpam
13 years ago

We are looking for a new-to-us love seat for our living room. (Hubby is a student, so money is tight for now.) This is $200 on Kijiji in a town an hour away. I have no idea if its authentic or a repro or if it would be remotely comfortable in the living room of our Neo-Victorian living room (built in the 90s).

{{!gwi}}

I know if we get something like this -- especially if we don't go to the big expense of recovering it -- it will set the tone for the whole room. How would you decorate a room based on something like this? Or should I bother to attempt it?

Floor plan

New wall design

{{!gwi}}

We are under renovation. Hubby is an engineering design student with lots of reno experience. I am not a decorator, so I'm struggling with what I think he sees in his head.

...Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2105734}}

Comments (7)

• erinsean
    13 years ago

I love it and I can see it in your room. I am not a victorian furniture lover but that looks really good...love the way the bottom of it has gathers on it. Let us know if you get it.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

I love the new wall! As for decorating... hmm... I'm picturing a Hollywood glam kind of thing.

Light fixtures like these:

Red or black damask accent pillows

• les917
    13 years ago

How is the furniture going to be used? Is this going to be your everyday sitting place? I am assuming it will get a lot of use, because with money being tight, I am guessing you are spending first on the things you need most for everyday living.

Is Victorian/formal what you WANT the room to feel like?

Or would you take this piece, paint it glossy black or charcoal, and add a modern fabric for the upholstery?

Or maybe a pretty apple green finish with a green and white lattice print upholstery?

First decide if this is what you need, that will work for your particular seating issues. Then, most importantly, SIT on it and be sure that you find it comfortable. No piece of furniture is a good buy if no one wants to sit in it.

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your comments, ladies. Sashasmom, thanks for your inspiration pics; they helped me a lot. I just Googled for images of "hollywood regency" and "red velvet sofa" with Hubby looking over my shoulder. He decided that he doesn't like the look, after all -- its a bit too much glam for my man -- and so we're not going to get the love seat.

...Pam

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Les917,

This space will be used everyday. For now its our only living/family room.

Eventually our basement family room will have our over-sized La-Z-Boy sofa and love seat in it and will be a theatre room, but for now the basement family room is our master bedroom. We'll be under renovation for a while.

"I am guessing you are spending first on the things you need most for everyday living."

You are correct.

"Is Victorian/formal what you WANT the room to feel like?"

Formal? No. Hints of Victorian, traditional, Art Nouveau, cottage, Craftsman... ? Yes. Our home is a NeoVictorian design.

"First decide if this is what you need, that will work for your particular seating issues."

This is the kind of piece we need...I think... minus the red. I know the cost of recovering anything will be high.

"SIT on it and be sure that you find it comfortable."
    Absolutely. I have fibromyalgia and Hubby is back in school because of a work injury, so comfort is a priority for us and our furniture. Smaller pieces -- a love seat and chairs versus a sofa and love seat -- is a number two priority for this room. Style would be a nice bonus until we get rich.

Thanks for your ideas. I appreciate it.

...Pam

• loribee
    13 years ago

Keep looking Pam~ you will find what you want! A small scale loveseat and chair and then maybe a cute accent chair... with an small antique shop table or 2 would be darling.
    Love the new walls, too!

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration pics for living room with red sofa