Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Your opinions on this rug and my plans for the DR

Y'all have been so helpful thus far I thought I'd start making some color decisions and such. Now let me say that my normal "style" would be considered modern country. I like simple lines, no curly cues or crystal chandeliers. The house itself is a Dutch Colonial so I like to complement the house while not being a slave to the exact era or whatever. Currently in my dining room I have hardwood floors in a warm nut brown, not too dark as I found that showed too much in the way of dust and such for my lifestyle. The rug in the dining room is a 9x12 seagrass rug. I love it and may buy another as it is a good neutral to work from.
Having said that I found this rug I fell in love with. Not my usual style at all, but it does have a kind of folk art feeling which may be what appeals to me.

It's hard to tell but there is a blue aspect in the center of some of the flowers. It also has taupe, and a sagey green color. The background is listed as rusty orange.

My plan is to have my built-ins made in a creamy taupe color (I have white cabinetry all over the house and just want something different yet still neutral in the DR). And then paint the walls a taupe like is in the rug. I want to do more orange, ,maybe on the curtains and then some blue accents for fun, lamps on the built-in or something.

This type of rug pattern tends to throw me as I'd normally go with geometrics. I have this pic of a room Sarah Richardson did and I love her choice of wallpaper, I would never think to put this rug with it, but somehow it works. So maybe I'm just over-thinking?

Here's another shot showing the rug. The rug looks like reds and pinks while the wallpaper is definitely orange.

Thoughts?

Comments (17)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the rug but I tend to love Jacobean style prints. I also adore touches of orange. Fifteen years ago I ordered a pair of chairs that have a lot of orange in the print. I loved them and still do. Taupe, orange, and sage sounds luscious to me so it sounds like you have a good start!

• sis2two
    10 years ago

This is one of my all time favorite dining rooms! Actually the whole farmhouse. I too love the wallpaper but am wondering if the rug is too matchy with the wallpaper. Personally if I were using that wallpaper, I would not use a rug with the same background as the paper. I would pick a rug that had some of the rusty orange in it however.I agree that I would never have thought to use the rug Sarah Richardson used, but it all looks good together.
    Hope to hear others thoughts as well.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Sarah's wallpaper in this room is fabric that she bought and had backed to hang as wallpaper. It's one of my all time favorites and is called 'Lotus Garden' by Schumacher. This is the 'Lacquer' colorway. If you wanted to make window treatments from it, it's hard to find now, but it's listed on this site that I have linked below.

Per yard price is not for the faint of heart!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotus Garden - Lacquer Price Per Yard: $164.50

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You should use the rug you love, if you choose wall paper stay away from one like Sarah's, you'd have two stars in the room fighting for the stage.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I love the rug! And I agree it has a folk art feel to it the works with a modern country style. I'm pattern phobic so I'd be doing a lot of solids and probably neutrals to make the rug really stand out, but I am sure you can go with more pattern and make it a lovely room with more depth from having more pattern.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't want to do a pattern paper, maybe a grasscloth of some sort so I'll have some texture.
    The fabric for my chairs will probably be a neutral taupe in something very sturdy. The other area I would use pattern would be the curtains, so I will have to post my options when I figure that out.

• User
    10 years ago

The patterns on the rug and wallpaper are about the same size ---scale--- so I would not use them together in the same room. A wallpaper more like Richardson's curtain fabric would be fabulous, though! Or YI could use that medallion style and stencil the walls all over, which is a budget friendly option and looks great in the rooms I've seen on GW and elsewhere.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found some great curtain options,so if anyone is still following here they are. I'm posting the pic of the rug again so you don't have to scroll all the way up to the top to see it.

1)

2)

3)

4)

I'm thinking I could add a ribbon of blue to a couple of these just to make them feel a bit more custom. It's hard to see in the rug pic, but there is a blue accent on the center of many of the flowers.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I like the second from the top best. And the bottom one second best.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Second from the top would be my choice as it's more subtle yet similar to the rug.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- another vote for grasscloth -- and a vote for the second choice for the curtains ....

• ttodd
    10 years ago

I like the Ikat pattern but then I love lots of pattern layered together in a room. That DR (one of my faves too) has 3 radically different patterns standing out in the room & a 4th on the chairs, so if you want that feel go for the pattern. You've already determined that you would like to use a solid grass cloth so that's taking out 1 of 3 bold patterns in the inspiration room. For me #2 is too sedate for the look you're going for. Don't get me wrong, option 2 and solid grass cloth will still look very pretty put just not following the same almost Bohemian Farmhouse feel of Sarah's room. My pick would be the Ikat #3. It's really pretty!

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 21:31

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

I very much approve of the rug, but I wonder if it's wide enough. (You don't mention the size.)

The width seems to be about 2/3 of the length. Is it wide enough to work under your table, or will the chair feet (front or back) bump into the edges of the rug as diners pull in their chairs?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rug is listed as 10x12, so is actually a foot wider than what I have now which is good. I don't think the pic is to scale from what I can tell.
    I love all of the curtains for different reasons and change my mind hourly :D.
    I prefer 3 and 4 at this time and am thinking that maybe I will do a stencil like #2 in the wall space on the built it. I like that pattern and would like to have it like a backsplash. That way I can still have that pattern in a prominent place and can use the stencil idea. I did a search on Fab and found a stencil that is almost exactly that pattern.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

What a pretty rug! I like two or three.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I would get the rug in there first, before buying the curtains. The rug is gorgeous. Of the fabric you've shown, I like the ikat the best with the rug.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Agree on getting the rug and then, if possible, a sample of the curtain fabric. Many that look like perfect matches online aren't in person. I strongly prefer the #3 choice of curtains - the ikat.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County