Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxerpups

Can I peek at your bathroom lighting?

boxerpups
12 years ago

Hi All,

I need ideas for lighting for my bathroon. I am in the

midst of taking down this nasty wallpaper.

Any ideas?

Any opinions?

I have another light but it is not too bright above

where the fan is. This particular light fixture would

go above the mirror. A vanity light.

What is my style?

This bathroom has no style.

I have not even chosen a wall color. Thinking maybe gray.

Budget? I married to a cheapskate and I just quit my

job so I need to be practical. Light fixture under $400

faucets etc.. under $400. Spending No more than a $1000 on

this bathroom including paint.

a HUGE thanks in advance to all.

~boxer

Here are the before pics...

The vanity. I could gel stain, or paint or keep it as is..

The counter is a one piece (looks like marble but is not)

built in sink top. White color not stark white

Floor tile (the grout is white it just looks dirty)

The room looks dingy beige yellow but it is not. It is

just because one light fixture has

been removed and there is no window in this bathroom.

No natural light. The floors are much whiter than they

appear.

I am almost there. Broke down and bought Diff today.

You can see the blue diff on the wall. Hooray.

Comments (53)

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

You may have seen these before -- sorry, if so! These are from before we moved in, so kind of old, but I hope they help! The fixtures above the vanity are a dull burnished brass.

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW, WOW and WOW
    Sorry to shout.

Bee those lights are lovely. And your bathroom is perfect.
    I need to do a search for lights like those. I am wondering
    if I could pull them off.

Hoosier,
    Your bathroom is exactly like my master bath. Gorgeous.
    I am going to show DH your cabinets and sink. I just
    know he is going to love this. We have the same
    honey oak in our bathroom but we could really spruce
    it up in the master. Okay thats my next project.
    I even have the same windows and tub. Amazing.

Thanks again.
    Loving the light fixtures.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Your bathrooms appears to have good bones. I really like your tile.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the installed light, but I have this Access Lighting 63914 above vanity light in one bathroom and the similar 3 light version in a powder room. It can go either up or down, though I have it installed up in both bathrooms.

{{!gwi}}

The cost is under $200.

If I was looking for an affordable faucet, I would probably check out Delta.

• Delilah66
    12 years ago

Here's mine. Bathroom is mid-reno so I just snapped the 55-inch vanity light that replaced the 48-inch makeup mirror fixture.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I opted for a blingy fixture in my powder room. it is a Schonbek and I got iin from Wayfair for $150.

• nicole__
    12 years ago

This is a stock photo of the one I recently purchased in a matt finish:

Note: I made an offer on Ebay of $25 and got it.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Nothing exciting, just from Lowe's, but they work for the space.

This one can be hung either way. We couldn't open the medicince cabinet with it pointing down, LOL.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I love my own bathroom light fixtures, but I'm really admiring the ones posted here, too! Java, love your new mirrors!!!!
    This is one of a pair in our master bathroom. BTW, all of them, along with the mirrors and some other punched tinwork door panels, were made by an artist in Santa Fe known for his tinwork artistry.

Powder Room's light fixture:

This is th eonly one I could find of the Western bathroom's light. It's very similar to the mbd ones only larger and longer.

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Our contractor got these at Home Depot, really cheap. I want to say they were less than $80 each.

Not great photos.

Beth P.

• Delilah66
    12 years ago

Lynn - I have your powder room mirror except in a smaller version and where yours is green mine is red and blue threads under glass. Purchased in Taos (or Santa Fe??) many years ago.

• User
    12 years ago

Hi Boxer!

I think I showed this to you a long time ago, but this is our updated bathroom, DIY and on a strict budget. I don't recall the amount we spent, but know it was less than 1000.00. The one thing I didn't do and still want to is the floor.

Our vanity is similar in size to yours and this is the fixture we used in there, it was in the 100.00 range. What I like about it is each light swivels.

And just for fun this is what we started out with (see your bathroom isn't that bad!)

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Hey Java! If the detailing is the same, the family that does these is quite well known in Santa Fe. At the time when they did the work for us (1993), the majority of the family (father, mother, one brother and ? else) did the custom work for homes and businesses, and that's who did ours. Another brother owned a shop in Santa Fe that sold the their work retail. The fabric inserts are handwoven by the famous Chimayo weavers in Chimayo, NM. Maybe you bought it at his shop. How cool is that?!?

• chessy
    12 years ago

Javachik - love your lights, they are just what we need in our bathroom. would you mind telling me where you found your light fixture? thanks,

• Delilah66
    12 years ago

Chessy

Thank you! It's a Justice Design Group fixture I got from Lighting Direct that ended up costing me only $40. When I received it, it was damaged. Instead of having me send it back they "field scrapped" it meaning I got to keep it. I paid an electrician $40 to fix it and waa-laa!

Java

Here is a link that might be useful: Justice Design Group

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are all amazing!!!

Pickleypear, I actually have that in my wish list.
    Thinking about that exact light.

Javachic. Lovely!

Nicole, my dh loves that light.

GSciencechic, That is my old light. I like it but
    want to update. It looks great in your bath.
    Gmp, Crytal. Very clever!

Lynninnewmexico. A work of art. beautiful.

bethpen, I love that stonework and the faucets. Where
    did you get your faucets?

Lukkiirish, Yes, your bathroom is my inspiration.
    What paint color did you use?
    I am thinking of a blue gray color by Behr called
    Polar drift. My daughter says it is too light.
    Your blue is even BETTER.

Thanks everyone.
    The wallpaper is finally down and the room is ready to paint.
    ~boxer

• chessy
    12 years ago

thanks for the link, javchik. whay a great deal you got! :)

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

This was the other light I was considering. Looks like the price is around $200. My significant other preferred the Access Lighting one, so we went with that. I'm still considering this for our master bathroom. There are 3 light and 4 light versions as well.

George Kovacs P5005-056
    {{!gwi}}

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Boxer,
    My faucets are Koehler Bancroft. Love them!

Beth p

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

To gmp3: LOVE your lighting. I looked at the Wayfair site and was unable to locate this fixture. Do you have any other information other than Schonbek?

• porkandham
    12 years ago

This is my master bath. We have sconces mounted on either side of the mirrors and recessed lights in the ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    12 years ago

Hi Boxer,

The blue you've chosen is really pretty but I agree with your daughter, it will most likely be too bright. Instead of using a blue with gray in it, the trick is to find a gray with a tint of blue instead. Once it's up on the wall, it will look blue but won't be as bright or have that baby blue look to it.

If you go to Sherwin Williams and look in the grays, IMHO, they have some of the best bathroom colors around. We used SW 6218 Tradewind in the guest bath and it does read brighter in the picture than it is in person. Unfortunately, the lighting in your bath is very different from ours so it could come off as too dark. If you try SW6217 Topsail, it's the same color only not as dark and it may work better in your lighting.

That said, there several colors in the same family to choose from and all of them would give a similar look, it's just a matter of which you like best. Here's just a few you may want to consider:

SW6219 Rain, SW6217 Topsail, SW 6211 Rainwashed, SW 6210 Window Pane, SW 6231 Rock Candy, SW 6232 Misty, SW3233 Samovar Silver.

My absolute favorite and the color(s) we used in our master bath are SW 6204 Sea Salt (pictured below) and SW 6205 Comfort Gray. We had Sea Salt up first but it was a tad too light and reflected a lot of glare, so we recently repainted it in Comfort Gray, which is just a shade darker. The Comfort Gray really is perfection. And doing the ceiling a tone darker, SW 6206 Oyster Bay worked out well too. What I love about this color is it looks blue in some lighting and Green in others. It's also very soothing and spa like.

You probably already know this but it's worth saying if you don't. If you want to you the paint/primer from Behr, they do a good job matching the colors from Sherwin Williams. I was hesitant to give them a try but was surprised to see that the result really was a PERFECT match.

I know these lights are most likely not to your taste, they weren't what I had originally planned either, but being over budget, I settled when I saw the price of 22.00 each. I figured at that price, I could always change them later, but in the end, they worked out really well in the space, I don't mind them at all:

This is Sea Salt looking blue

And Sea Salt looking green, Comfort Gray is exactly the same color only it's a bit darker:

• porkandham
    12 years ago

This is a basement bathroom done on the cheap. Due to the ceiling, we were limited size wise.

{{!gwi}}

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Lukkiirrish,
    Thanks for the advice on paint. Still loving the
    Polar drift. I bought a sample and plan to see it.
    I have to ask another question, did you gel stain or
    repaint your old cabinet? Curious as to the process.
    I have seen Sea Salt at a friend's house. It really is
    a lovely color.

@bethpen, thank you, I love the faucets. I found another
    that I love too. Will post an image soon.

@porkandham
    Love your mastbath. I just showed the pictures to DH and
    wants to do something similar in the bathroom we are working
    on. What color paint did you use? Love your marble tops.
    And the guest bath is nicely done too.

~boxer

• porkandham
    12 years ago

Boxer - Thanks for your kind words! The color is Benjamin Moore Wedgewood Gray.

• User
    12 years ago

You're welcome Boxer! That's great, if you love the Polar Drift then I hope it works for you!!! If not it will at the very least be a good starting point for you, right?

Glad the paper is down, what techniques did you try and which one worked?

The cabinet is just painted with a black primer/paint from Behr. I sanded the cabinet down really well, washed it with TSP and then painted with a small roller and brush. I was so impressed with how clean that paint dryed. No streaks at all. It's held up well also but then again, we don't use it much.

From what I understand, Gel Staining is different in that the finished product will have the appearance of wood still. And you can only go darker, you can't go lighter with it. Espresso would probably look really nice on your cabinet. Your bathroom is probably going to get more use than ours so you may want to do a shout out to Faron and ask him which would work better in your situation.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

ratherbesewing: Yikes the price is soooo much more now...I got mine around Christmas and it was on clearance.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Orleans sconce

• Verti
    12 years ago

Here is a link to our guest bath renovation which is 99% done (all the big stuff is finished, I just need to spend some time on the accessories). We replaced everything but the tub/surround and the mirror over the vanity. We did all the painting, tiling, installing etc ourselves and came in at just under $1200 for everything. There are not a lot of pics but I do have one of the vanity lighting there. I had a heck of a time finding something that was bright enough for that windowless space, had the bling I wanted and still be in the price range of what I was looking to spend but am really happy with how it all turned out.

Here is a link that might be useful: guest bath

• babs711
    12 years ago

Lukkiirish, I'm hunting for vanity fixtures also and love your swiveling ones. What brand/style are yours? Thanks so much!

• User
    12 years ago

Hey babs, here's the link to the swivel fixture we bought. I was a little hesitant when it arrived as the scale looks small at first, but once up, it was perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaxcel lighting

• User
    12 years ago

Babs, I should also state that I did the first review on that page and it can be a little difficult to get right. But once you do, it looks great and is perfect for the style we did the bathroom in. If I could go re rate it, I would bump it up to 4+ stars.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Hoosiergirl, I have the same sconces in my kitchen!
    My bath fixtures:

I also have a center ceiling wart:

And note the 3" halogen can over the WC.
    Casey

• amielynn
    12 years ago

All photos from when my house was being built, I didn't do much exciting with them, figuring I could replace them as I found lights I really loved.

• fauve01
    12 years ago

We have 4 can lights in the 4 corners of the room, plus three sconces around the mirrors above the vanity. we went for "blingy" sconces to contrast with the Earthiness of the slate floor/shower wall. They refract so much light when they're turned on!

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

btw, Paint is BM Revere Pewter (doesn't really show up in these pics). it's a light warm gray on our walls.

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful bathroom sombreuil!
    Amielyn, what a pretty home.
    Fauve01, your bathroom is a work of art.

Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions.
    Our bathroom is complete. It is exactly the simple, sweet
    and unassuming style I wanted to evoke.

Gel stained the cabinets (turned out more like painting)
    Changed light fixture, bath fixtures, Martha Stewart Skyland
    New brushed nickle framed mirror
    Removed wallpaper and replaced with paint Behr Polar Drift
    Total price... I am stunned how cheap $350

My favorite faucet but we did not get this....

DH wanted this one...

Polardrift Behr

I love this light fixture.

Thanks again everyone. I am off to think and plan on our
    masterbath.
    ~boxer

• User
    12 years ago

It looks so nice!!! Great job! Glad it turned out the way you wanted, that was so fast!

• porkandham
    12 years ago

It turned out very nice!

• sas95
    12 years ago

Nice job!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

WOW, you are FAST!! It looks fantastic -- great job!!

Casey, I love that blue -- I'd have never thought of that color for a bathroom, but it looks great! And I'd love to see a pic or two of your kitchen, if you have time/inclination, to see how the fixtures tie in. I'll bet they look wonderful!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Wow! Fast and it looks fantastic!

• lolab
    12 years ago

ooooo no - first time posting pics. Heeeere goes! This should be the master bath vanity

Here is a link that might be useful: master bath vanity fixture

• lolab
    12 years ago

I feel like such an idiot -- at least the links seem to be working -- all my lighting. How the heck do you post multiple pictures?

Here is a link that might be useful: all my bathroom lighting

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

It looks great! Well done!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Thanks so much lukkiirish! It looks great and at a reasonable price!

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Wow that looks awesome!

• prill
    12 years ago

Boxer, what a great transformation! Love that color.
    It looks wonderful.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

One either side of TV, the same (I think) sconces:

Thanks about the blue; got the idea from an inspiration pic here at GW.
    Casey

• User
    12 years ago

Babs, thanks so much, I really like it. The price was good, I agree!

LoLab - To post a picture, you paste the HTML code into the message box. To post multiple pics, you just post multiple codes, one right after the other.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

Casey, I don't think they're the same, but they're very similar. You have a beautiful kitchen! Thanks for sharing!

• lolab
    12 years ago