Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Can you please help me choose a rug for my foyer?

charley526
13 years ago

I'm looking for a rug or rugs for my "foyer area". I'm trying to make this space more inviting and cozy. I'm working with furnishings that belong to my husband from a previous home. IE not exactly my taste, but it all has to stay.

I think I want a 5x8 for in front of the chairs & a matching small doorway rug. Or I could do just a larger doorway rug...

What do you think will look right for this space?

Thanks for helping me out with this!

These are the rugs I'm considering:

And MAYBE this pillow for the chairs

And MAYBE this fabric as a tablecloth for the little side table

A view of the WIP Living Room:

Comments (31)

• les917
    13 years ago

I would suggest that you don't want a rug 'in front of the chairs',but something that the chairs and table can sit on, at least the front legs. I think the rugs you have shown are pretty, but dark. The space feels rather dark already - would you consider something with a lighter background?

You might also consider putting an oval rug in the space, to pick up on the front door light and to soften the angles of the space.

I thought about suggesting a rug large enough for the whole space, but I changed my mind. I think a separate rug in the entry is wise, as that will get much more dirty foot traffic and would need to be cleaned more often. The whole-area rug would wear unevenly as well.

Down the line, I wonder if you could find a small game table to use with those two chairs, and have them facing one another on either side of it. That would be a nice place for sitting and playing cards or a game or doing a puzzle, kind of away from the tv in the living room. A partner's desk would work, too.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the 3rd rug best for your space.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for replying les917. The area is pretty dark; we get some decent morning light, but that's about it. I did have a 5x8 ivory background rug there for a while. But it has since been moved to the basement. Just didn't look right to me. A 5x8 fits from the window wall to the stairs with about an 8" border of wood showing. So, yes the chairs would sit on the rug. I'm considering the rugs shown because they are very low profile & they have green in them. The LR has a lot of green that I felt needed to carry over into that area. I hadn't considered an oval rug. I'll have to check to see what I can find...

I like your idea of a larger table that we could actually use. I've always felt like this area is just wasted space.

What do you think about the other items?

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I love your pillow and table cloth choices. Those, plus the edge of the sofa, make me think you want to bring in more of those colors, and less of the deep colors that you have. If I'm not way off-base, then what would look fantastic would be to reupholster the chairs in a fabric along the lines of your pillow choice. Maybe with a sisal or other natural material rug. Or the reverse: the sisal colored fabric for the chairs, with a cheery rug with colors drawn from your pillow choice.

Since I may already be off-base, I'll go off-the-wall too. I'd TRY arranging the two chairs to face each other, with a small ottoman between, to form a settee, window-seat style. Add a couple of wall sconces for lighting, and either a narrow table behind the settee, or a little garden style table in front.

I also like Les's idea of a partner's desk - that would be useful, too. If I really am reading more into your pillow and tablecloth choice than I should, then I would say that to continue colors that you currently have, that I like the second and third rug choices.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gwbr54: I would like to lighten up the space, it feels dark & heavy to me now. I had considered reupholstering the chairs in a neutral linen type fabric similar to the pillow background. But decided against it because of other pressing issues. So big pillows it will be! The pillows caught my eye while shopping in PB because they have the same green as my couch & the terracotta color drapes. And they look like happy pillows to me. The rugs really don't look that dark to me...

The tablecloth fabric is something I picked up to cover my ottoman in the LR. I thought repeating the fabric in the foyer would be nice, plus I really like it!

I can't introduce any new furniture for this area at this time--but maybe in the future!

The #3 rug doesn't come in oval :(

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Those pillows are definitely cheery - especially this time of year. If you eventually reupholster those chairs, the pillows would look right at home in your living room. I saw that PB has rug similar to the pillows. I was hoping that it would look great, but I agree, the light background for some reason does not really suit that area. Good luck!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOPS! I just realized that #2 rug & #3 rug are the same rug, just portrayed differently on different websites. I've been leaning towards #3 all along. I hope it doesn't look too off!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did a quick mock-up. How does this look to you?

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Or how about this rug?

• loribee
    13 years ago

LOVE the "happy" pillows ~~ love the mock up! Either the first or second rug is great, too! You have nice taste!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Loribee!

I found a rug that fits my criteria & it's offered in MANY sizes including oval 5x8. I have it narrowed down to rug #2 5x8 rectangle OR this one: rug #6 5x8 in oval. Not sure how I feel about the contrasting border...What do you think?
    {{!gwi}}

• yayagal
    13 years ago

I like the "lighter one you showed" It brightens the area more.

• User
    13 years ago

Would NOT do a small rug at the door that is an exact match.

I think any if your rug choices are good, and the pillows are great as long as mo one is planning to sit in the chairs.

What a great circulating space for parties, though! And if you have overflow guests for a sit-down dinner you could dress up a card table and put 4 people there.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input! I thought I had to do an exact match for the 2 rugs :/

• loribee
    13 years ago

I wouldn't do an exact match either~~~

• User
    13 years ago

No, you definitely don't want to match . . . true orientals are one-of-a-kind. The machine-made rugs are not, of course, but you don't want to draw attention to that fact by putting an exact match in a different size in the same room. :) If you choose a rug that is mostly green with cream and red accents, you might choose either a similar (but not too similar) green rug for the smaller one, or even a similar rug with a cream or red background and secondary use of the other colors.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I finally got my husband's attention long enough to look at the rugs. His favorite is #5-because it's the lighter rug. Now I'm leaning towards that one as well. But he is not too keen on the synthetics.
    I'm certainly not trying to pass off this rug as an oriental. It is what it is for a house with 3 little kids. I want something that I won't feel bad about getting ruined for whatever reason & needing to replace it. I've had some nice looking synthetic rugs and some crappy looking synthetics too. I'm hoping this one will be decent for the price. I really want a low-profile rug but haven't found a hand-knotted wool rug with a lighter background. I'll go take a look at overstock.
    Here's a mock-up

If I do go with this rug, what should I put in front of the door? Maybe something plain/solid so it doesn't clash? Color suggestions?

Any suggestion on what I could put on the wall behind the chairs-if anything?

Thanks!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I favor rugs that have the same colors applied in different ways. Or a wonderful rug, with something more neutral so that it doesn't complete (e.g. jute or seagrass). In your space, I would not want the focus to be on the front door so I would use the latter approach - something a solid neutral or coordinating color, or natural fiber, by the front door. This will let you centerpiece the seating area. Anything more is going to try and pull the eye away.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks avesmor, just what I needed to hear. That certainly makes sense.
    I think I may need to take a voting poll with a new thread. I did several mock-ups & they all look good to me; I can't seem to decide!

• User
    13 years ago

I like the one your husband chose!

And of course you are not trying to pass anything off--I did not mean to imply that and sorry if I did. It's just that when you have two identical rugs it looks very "off the rack," if that makes more sense. I've seen some very goodlooking and hardwearing synthetic rugs, and am all for them where muddy shoes and children are concerned.

Also would not put anything behind chairs on walls as you have plenty going on there already. You are creating a gracious "rest" stop in your foyer that will be visually pleasing and must make your house feel very spacious. I'm looking forward to the finished photos.

• User
    13 years ago

I really like your last mock up! That rug looks great with the pillows and the curtains. I'd also either do a solid rug by the door or a coordinating one with the same colors.

As far as it being synthetic. It will hold up well and I've seen some really nice looking ones. I think when they start to not look as nice is when they're really small as the pattern gets distored.

• loribee
    13 years ago

"I like the one your husband chose!"
    Me, too! And your last mock up also~

With 3 little ones, I'd go to Walmart or Homegoods etc for something by the front door.

• debb
    13 years ago

Lots of good suggestions! This space will be very nice, just a thought for a future project, may be to paint your interior door the same colour as your walls. I did this in my front foyer after 8 years of living there and one day it occured to me to try it and it really looked nice.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I went ahead & just ordered it. So we'll see how it looks when it gets here, soon I hope.

We really don't use the front entrance very much, except for when we have guests. I am having a hard time finding a nice looking solid rug that has a very low profile. I feel like I've checked everywhere. Let me know if you come across a great one!

• User
    13 years ago

I was also going to vote for the one you ordered. I liked it best when you first posted it, but you were leaning a different direction so I didn't say anything.

I like avesmor's idea of a natural rug at the door. Will keep the focus on the pretty sitting area. I recently bought a seagrass rug from Home Decorators for my powder room. I love it! Not sure how big you need, but if the small size works, it's only $19. That's what I got. Can't beat the price! The next size up is $46.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD seagrass rug

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks jillinnj. I've never had one of the natural fiber rugs. I like how that looks, but I just read one review that said it was too thick for their doorway. It would probably be too thick for me too. Our door is set very low & drags on every rug I put there thus far.
    I'm curious, is it rough on your feet?

• User
    13 years ago

Yes, it is rough on the feet. My 10 yr old son complained! I don't think I would put one in a room where you might sit or lie on the floor. I've heard that it softens over time. Will be interesting to see if that happens. Right now I almost always have socks on, but once it warms up I will be barefoot most of the time. I am wondering if I will hate it then. Hope not, because I love the way it looks.

At first, my powder room door would drag. But, it was not sitting totally flat due to being rolled up during shipping. Now, it's flat and the door is fine. But, I suspect if your door is real low, it might not work.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• ruby4729
    13 years ago

i really love your drapes..Are they custom or ready made??

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you rzoe714! I made them.

Check out my foyer update:

Here is a link that might be useful: Foyer update

• rindy96
    13 years ago

I like the 3rd rug best mixed with a seagrass possibly.