Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Dining room built-ins or not, colors, etc?

Thanks to all here, I am moving ahead with my dining room project. I am putting in a built in wine bar hutch on one end of the room and on the opposite wall want to flank the 5' opening with 2 additional built ins or small buffets. Here is a basic layout of the room, I'm displaying it with IKEA stuff but not set on using IKEA as of yet. The room is 12'6" by 15'4". The windows are off-center as shown which is why the big built in is going against that wall.

The big built in will basically look like this (the design is pretty well set. I don't want to make further changes as this is what works with existing wall, power outlets etc.

I'm going to do the big built-in in a painted finish with the counter area being a cork product. I'm thinking a creamy white to a taupe color. I'm planning to paint the room an orange/pumpkin color.

My question is, would you do the 2 small china buffets to match (I can have them built by the same guy) or should I just buy 2 freestanding units? I only have 41" on either side of the door so looks like most things I can buy would be 36" wide.

Here is a plan of this part of the house-the plan does NOT show these built ins, just the room and a table.

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm thinking don't do it. Do you ever entertain large groups? With only 15' across and the one built in taking up more space, you might wish you had the room if you had a big group over. Further, the built in is helping to center the windows in the room, but the book cases will work against that. I like your final plan for the bar area...I think it'll work well.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I'm doing it regardless. I currently have furniture on all 3 of those walls, just nothing cohesive and not overly well designed. I currently have an attic full of china and serving stuff that I have to traipse up a flight of stairs and unpack every time I use them. As it stands even with the current stuff I have in there I can extend the table out to 100 inches and still have room to walk around (this is when we are seating 10 people). Usually I only have one leaf in, not 2 so there is plenty off room. We entertain and use this room a lot but it is such a pain to go all over the house getting dishes from one attic, warming trays out of the closet, platters from the dresser in the foyer...
    My question is whether to make those 2 buffets built ins or freestanding.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, I misread. Do you have baseboard that will be in the way unless they are built in? That may help you decide.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

So the title says "or not", but you don't want vote on "or not"?

If that is the case, i would do the buffets to match. A cork counter sounds very cool BTW; is it tile or?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Are those wine fridges? I'm not keen on the placement - I think they make it look too chopped up. I think I'd put the fridges at each end, and drawers in the middle. You might need to split into two drawer stacks. Or, if you need non-drawer storage, put doors in the middle.

My understanding is that wine bottle storage as you've shown is not good for the wine (especially with windows in the room). Do you go through enough wine that the cubbies are short-term storage?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

For anyone considering built-ins or library for dining room, I suggest you take a look at this. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/search/label/Kate%20Middleton

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My vote is about the 2 buffets, should they be painted to match the big built-in or not. I'm thinking I could actually do them in a nice wood since they aren't huge, maybe walnut or something interesting. There is a baseboard there so that would be something to work around and may make freestanding a better option.

annkh, I can't put the fridges on the end without having to do a significant side support which would eat up about 6 inches of the total between the 2 ends, plus I don't want the wine fridges directly below the wine racks as they will generate some heat going up. That is actually where I originally had them so I agree with you on the aesthetics but the cabinet guy kind of dashed that. My main wine storage is actually in my basement so this will be short term stuff and tall liquor bottles mostly.
    Here is a pic of a cork countertop for anyone who is curious,

Or maybe this one, I haven't decided. This second option pic is before it is sealed and grouted.

Here is what it looks like finished (this is a shower, but same basic look).

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I think I would do the two buffets in a nice wood, maybe to complement the color of the countertops, since your color scheme seems neutral.

As for built ins or "buy two units" question, I think it would come down to convenience and cost. It might be cheaper and quicker to buy them and have them installed -- depends on if there are units out there available to you that would fit your needs. If not, have the guy build them.