Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

how do YOU clean marks off painted walls?

pammyfay
12 years ago

I've heard that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers were great for this, but I've also recently read that the tiny granules inside of it is not good for paint.

I have a few spots that look like they're residue from someone putting their hands or palms on the wall while going down the stairs. Although there is a banister on one side of the staircase, maybe the person or persons (I have two "suspects"!) just felt he needed an extra measure for balance.

I also have 2 spots that are black marks, probably when workers brought up the new washer/dryer, but I'm not quite sure about the origin.

What are some of the techniques you'd try on these spots?

Or would you just grab some of the original paint and try to lightly dab it onto the area? I have some, in screw-top containers; it's a Benjamin Moore paint, but I can't recall which grade -- it's been about 8 years.

Not sure I want to bring a painter or handyman in to repaint the stairway area, even though it's not a huge space.

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

First I always try some spray cleaner (Windex or Fantastic or something similar). If that doesn't work, Mr Clean Magic Erasers. If both fail, paint.

• pps7
    12 years ago

What Jill said.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

I have a 3 y/o and matte paint. I'm perpetually familiar with the oiled handprints that are all over my walls. I use a barely damp microfiber cloth (half damp, half dry). Rub the damp part over the marks just once or twice, then rub with the dry part. I've found that by rubbing with the dry, and sort of feathering out the moisture, I can avoid a lot of the "swirl" marks that water can leave on the paint.

That takes care of almost everything. If something is left that isn't fixed that way, I usually just touch up the paint. One of the perks of matte paint.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

BTW, I'm not a fan of the magic erasers. They remove more paint than other methods I've tried. They also tend to leave a white haze where I've used them (and I am using them per directions). But a lot of people seem to love them.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

yep, windex is what I was told to use.

Do you still have any of the paint? If the cleaner doesn't work, You can always use a sponge brush, dip it in the paint and just "kiss" the wall with the sponge. Once dry, you shouldn't notice it.

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

I use the magic erasers, but very gently and with not to much water and then I dry down the wall with a paper towel or soft cloth - that seems to help with the marks, white residue.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Simple Green and a cotton rag... all I have ever needed.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

My paint holds up well to magic erasers, just use a light touch. Windex also works well. The experts on the paint forum said if you ever have to touch up, put a small amount of water in your old paint mixing in small amounts. This makes it blend in better.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Tougher than spray cleaners, but gentler than Mr Eraser is toothpaste. It even removes crayon.

• B H
    12 years ago

Target Up & Up Diaper wipes. Not sure what that says about them on my kids' bottoms considering I've had pretty good results cleaning marks off of our walls.

I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Eraser simply because they don't seem to last very long past a few passes at whatever I happen to be cleaning.

If all else fails, I grit my teeth and repaint.