Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Disliking options: here's why.

palimpsest
11 years ago

Linked below is a house for sale by the architect that designed mine. He also designed a lot of rather odd stuff, and did urban renewal where he was hampered by size and budget. My house is in the latter categories but I think his vision was persistent.

My house sits about where the door is sliding off the pile of old lumber. These were probably taken in preparation for the redevelopment and my house was finished within two years of this photo. So, you can see it was a neighborhood for the adventurous.

(photo from Bryn Mawr Archive)
The execution was somewhat imperfect, and the need for security bars on the fronts kind of affected the design (Most have been subsequently removed). Some of these are not aging that well. None of these are my house, by the way.

What he was able to do, though was make the interiors fairly light filled, which was one of the positive aspects of brutalism.

This modest house, the Carner Residence, is much nicer on the interior than one would expect:

I covered the people in this interior shot from Flickr. The Flickr pictures are from a house tour

Even on the very modest projects, like my house, he played with solids and voids, -two ends of the same room: The windows and doors need to be replaced with something more fitting.

He really pushed the wall fenestration in his own studio, with 40+ windows.

So, I think I want to be careful what I put back in this house, in terms of what is attached to the house itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladwyne House

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 14:58

Comments (4)