Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

Pics of our FR black painted brick fireplace (long post)

cat_mom
12 years ago

We recently (finally!) renovated the bottom floor of our bi-level (Hi-Ranch, raised ranch....) home. Some background; we've been living in the house for 13+ years, and renovating it bit by bit. We've been using the FR for storage as well as a "staging ground" during the renovations of other rooms. When we moved in, the downstairs had musty yucky paneling throughout. There was no sheetrock, and no insulation behind it. A full brick wall fp (red brick with black, yes, black mortar), a "dry bar", textured ceilings and cracked and broken vinyl floor tile completed the picture.

Early on, DH and I tore the walls and ceilings down to the studs and beams--the floor and brick wall we left intact. DH wiped everything down with bleach, and then we painted it all with BIN sealer/primer. He insulated the exterior walls and hung sheetrock. When we ripped out the dry bar (when we took everything down to the studs), DH framed out the space so he could hang a door, and we had some one design/make pantry shelves and voila--we had a pantry closet.

Taping, spackling, and a few coats of white paint was pretty much all we did down there until this past fall (except for the guest bathroom which was done a few months after completing the kitchen). The guest bedroom was furnished with our old king sized mattress (took up 3/4 of the room), an old cast-off dresser from my sister's kids. As I mentioned above, we never used the FR as a FR (never used the wood burning fp)--it was pretty much used as a basement this whole time.

We painted as part of the renovation--did all the painting ourselves; FR/entryway is BM Mascarpone, Aura paint, matte finish, with the same color in the satin finish on the base molding, Guest Bedroom (No pics yet) is BM Muslin, Aura paint, matte and satin as in the FR. Fireplace wall is BM Black, Aura paint, matte finish. Baseboard heat covers along the brick are currently Krylon BBQ Grill (?) spray paint, but we plan to re-spray them using fp paint (the black might blend with the wall color better). We left the remaining baseboard heat covers alone (original white finish). Ceilings throughout are BM Super White, Aura paint, matte finish.

When we bought the house, we originally thought we'd just decorate "around" the red brick (pretend it wasn't there, treat it like a neutral), but when we finally got to the point of decorating and using the FR, we knew that wouldn't work for us. DH didn't want to go through the hassle/work of sheetrocking over the brick, and having it covered up (coated) cost more than we wanted to spend right now. I briefly considered painting the brick the same color as the walls, but wasn't really in love with that idea. Painting the bricks black came to me out of the blue (before I even saw threads here on home dec about doing so). As indecisive as I am, I just knew it was the right thing to do. It might not be everyone's cup-of-tea, but we are really happy with the way it turned out--better than we had ever envisioned!

We had a gas fp insert and Ocean Beige travertine floor tile (Artistic Tile) installed (we left the fp insert install and the tiling to the very talented pros!). The granite "inlay" in the fp hearth we had installed about 4 years ago, replacing the ugly mismatched slate pieces--it's the same granite that we have in the kitchen. Who knew back then how well it would match the crystals in the gas insert? :-) The mantel cover was fabricated in the fp installer's shop, and then sprayed by them to match the finish on the insert's frame.

We still have some odds and ends to get, things to hang some walls, have to install the new switches/outlets, but the bulk of the renovation/decorating is done. Yay! I still have to take more pics of the downstairs to share (opposite wall in the FR, guest bedroom....), but here are some I can share now.

Here are some befores. I have to see if DH can scan some pre-digital camera pics of the downstairs (showing the paneling and the dry bar) onto my laptop. These pics were taken just prior to painting (after all the boxes and crap that lived there for 13 years was carted out!). These are just pics of the fp wall--other room shot before pics are on the link to my pb acct below:

Here are some afters:

Here is a link that might be useful: cat_mom's family room pictures album

Comments (51)

• yayagal
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fantastic!!!!!!!!

• mom2sethc
    12 years ago

Awesome!!!!!

• lakeaffect
    12 years ago

cat mom-

The next time someone gets the vapors over painting brick, I bet 10 people reference your pics. The transformation is absolutely stunning and your furnishings and art are as well. Great job.

sandyponder

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

graywings, yayagal, mom2sethc and sandyponder: Thank you! It's nice receiving affirmation from others. People's first reaction when I had told them we were going to paint the brick wall black was far from positive (even the owner of the paint store was skeptical!). Sometimes it really does pay to "go with your gut!"

mari: you fresh, fresh girl! I knew it would be your cup of tea--my fellow contemporary/modern-ish design loving friend!

The candleholders came from a little boutique-gift/home decor shop a few towns over (during a day after T-giving Black Friday sales event). There's no name or identifying info on them, but they did look reminiscent of the Judith Knight enameled pieces I had seen in Bloomingdale's (http://www.juliaknight.net/).

The lamp is a George Kovacs lamp, model # P245-01-084. I had ordered it online from Capitol Lighting; they had the best price (incl s/h/taxes and all that), but I'm not finding it on their site so maybe they stopped carrying that style. It's still available on other sites though.

• jreed22
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Love it. My stepfather is a painter and has been after me to paint our fireplace when we repaint our living room some time this year. I have been resisting, but now I am starting to rethink the idea!!

• christina923
    12 years ago

that room is S.T.U.N.N.I.N.G!!!!!!!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Very dramatic, wow.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

You did a beautiful job! I usually only comment on period looking rooms but I am really impressed with the sophisticated room you have created.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

very cool and dramatic! I love the kitty perched on the entertainment unit. Looks like he/she is about to pounce...

• sochi
    12 years ago

Really great job, congratulations! Love the black.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jreed22, christina923, schoolhouse--I'm glad you like it!! Anything we did would have been a vast improvement on the original room (looked even worse than the pics you've seen), but this really was a dramatic difference, from piles of boxes to a fully furnished room. We're really enjoying being down there now.

jreed22--I am so glad we painted ours. I know painted brick isn't for everyone, but leaving the brick the way it was wouldn't have worked for us. I'm glad you like the way ours turned out!

eandhl--I very much appreciate your taking the time to comment given your preference for a different style of decor. Through these forums, I have come to appreciate so many different decorating styles. I really enjoy seeing everyone's pictures.

Thank you, thank you for your comments!

pipdog--thank you! Oh, that's our Miku. Can't seem to take a picture without her suddenly appearing in the viewfinder! Not camera-shy that one!

sochi--you know how much I love your home, so we'll have to have our own mutual admiration society. Thank you!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

My heart totally skipped a beat!

• nutsaboutplants
    12 years ago

I'm speechless! You truly have a vision, to see all that elegant glamor lurking in the old space.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

When I saw the first picture of just the fireplace, my heart sank. But seeing it with the rest of your decor, my heart sang! Wow, what a transformation. Just shows you what good decorating can do to a room.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ellendi--Oh no, did you mean the first BEFORE picture of the fp or the AFTER made your heart sank (hope not the AFTER)? I'm glad the finished project made your heart sing! :-) Mine still does when I walk in the room, that's for sure. We lived with it looking like a glorified (maybe not-so-glorified) storage unit for far too long, so it's amazing to me that it looks like a real room finally!

ttodd and nutsaboutplants--Your comments put a big smile on my face! We are so happy with the way it turned out, and I so appreciate your acknowledgement of our vision and hard work. Thank you!

• Tmnca
    12 years ago

I would never have thought of using all black - with the light hardwood it looks amazing. WOW!

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

I was prepared to see something that didnt turn out right and was already thinking before seeing it you should have done it white, but was pleasantly surprised, WOW! Its dramatic and gutsy, and totally makes it more contemporary cool. Im keeping it in my saved pics.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

cat mom- When I first saw the black fire place, I did think "Oh no" but then when I saw it in the context of the room, I was amazed in how great it looked!

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

Wow! What a stylish and sophisticated "media" room. Definitely a cut above!

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinan--thanks! The floor is actually vein-cut travertine, not wood. In pics it does resemble wood because of the striations in the stone, but it looks less so in person.

When we we're planning what we would do with the room and that wall, and DH was resistant to sheet rocking (he could have done it, just didn't want to do the work--time involved and other commitments pending), we knew painting was pretty much in the cards. Like I said, I wasn't totally in love with the idea of painting the bricks cream color like the other walls. I suddenly had the idea that if we were going to do this, to paint the brick, we should really embrace it, and make it something (or for lack of a better word, an accent). Go all out as it were. That's when I knew we had to paint it black.

I think my original vision was more of a black stained brick rather than painted brick, but somehow forgot about looking into stain options along the way. The Aura matte paint on the brick gives it a really neat texture, an almost leather-like quality. Makes the wall and FP look almost Tim Burtonesque. At least we think it does! LOL

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

It looks terrific with your contemporary furnishings. I love how you kept the floors and walls light to offset all of the black.

Just like ellendi, when I was expecting a huge brick fireplace painted black and then just saw the first picture out of context, I didn't realize how stunning it could be.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Amazing...can't wait to see more!

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

gorgeous! very sophisticated look. I love it!!
    Some years back ... I painted an ugly old orange-y brick fireplace (with a slab of gray concrete for a mantel) a bright white. All my very conservative friends and neighbors were appalled, but everyone loved the finished product.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

your room looks great!! i'm often not a fan of painted brick, but you transformed the entire room very cohesively-well done!

• itltrot
    11 years ago

I am like ellendi, when I saw the first black picture I thought umm.....then I saw the light floors and walls and its WOW!!!

Great vision.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Wow .....stunning! Love the black, great job. Fireplace looks great...is that glass in the insert? Clear or colored?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

It's wonderful to see what a vision executed confidently can become! Well done, you.

I particularly like the addition of the mantel shelf and the simple surround on the firebox. And that you used flat paint. Bricks painted with any gloss can resemble coal, which is not nearly so pleasant to be around. The way you've done it looks velvety instead of cold.

And I am so impressed that you also have the skills to do so much of it yourselves.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks :) !!! What a happy welcome to the weekend, reading your kind praises!

Yes, those are black glass "crystals" lining the floor of the insert. We had a choice of "logs" or river rocks or the crystals (different color choices). They reflect the flames very nicely (without looking all disco LOL), and look perfect with the granite inlay we had had put in shortly after our kitchen reno. We used a piece of the same granite that we'd used for our kitchen counters (replacing multi-colored/size/shaped and very outdated pieces of slate).

It's funny, DH and I both are your quintessential, indecisive Gemini's, yet every now and again, a flash of decisiveness strikes! :-) Like I said, I just knew the brick wall HAD to be black.

I am a huge, huge fan of the texture of Aura paint's Matte finish--LOVE IT! It really is like velvet (even more so on regular walls).

We are not total DIY'ers like the many uber-talented people on these forums. I am in serious awe of their talent and skills (and their eye for hidden treasures!). We do leave tile work, staining, most of the plumbing....to the pros, while other stuff we will do ourselves (often out of financial necessity, but sometimes, just because!).

• Vertise
    11 years ago

That is quite a transformation! Extremely well done. You are very talented. I see kitty has found center stage already.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you snookums2!

Yes, our Miku has to be wherever the "action" is! LOL Her sister Shizu was probably watching nearby.

• starismydog
    8 years ago

I love it. Bold and dramatic. The only thing I would change is your art work over the fireplace. It is not very noticeable (in the pic anyway) I would brighten it up a bit, other than that, wow!

• erinsean
    8 years ago

Love the black fireplace, but why is this three year old thread popping up?

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No idea! Perhaps starismydog was doing a search of old threads?

In any event, thanks for the compliments!

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

At the risk of repeating myself, I don't have a problem with old posts popping up. SOMEone will see it for the first time (as I just have) and perhaps get some much needed inspiration :) It's stunning! I agree with the person that feels the art needs to be a bit more contrasty but that's just my personal take on it. Love your room :)

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks monicakm_gw! The piece over the fp IS somewhat more noticeable IRL, and while it is less "contrasty" (great word!) than we'd originally thought it would be when we got it, we do like its subtlety, strangely enough I suppose. It does add a layer of texture and visual interest, while keeping the impact of the black brick wall intact. That's not to say that something with more contrast wouldn't look smashing (of course it would!), but for now, we'll stick with what we have.

We did just purchase a set (5 pieces, varying sizes) of really neat looking glazed clay/pottery "disks" to hang on the wall between brick wall and the window. They have a hint of aqua which will add a bit of color, while still maintaining a soothing and cozy atmosphere in our FR.

Besides, I still get my brightly colored artwork fix upstairs! LOL :)

• traci_from_seattle
    8 years ago

I love the piece over the fireplace! And I'm glad this old thread was bumped... I didn't see it the first time around.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Ohhhh, aqua and black. Love it! Please send a picture when you get them.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

How dramatic! It's wonderful. I really like it. Everything is perfect. Stunning.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you rob333!

• starismydog
    8 years ago

I am laughing, I did not realize the thread was so old, I didn't check the date, lol! Again, beautiful job.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL

Thank you! Getting to be cool enough out to start using the fp!!

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Autumn has boycotted east Texas. We're still in the 90s....boo!!!! But, we generally don't fire up the fireplace till Dec, late Nov in a good year :)

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's getting cooler here in the northeast (southern NYS), right on cue with the arrival of fall, which rarely happens! Still warm days, with cooler (even chilly) nights. Our FR and guest bedroom are downstairs, so are always cooler (than the upstairs rooms). We rarely sit in the FR, or watch the TV down there during the summer months, but once it gets to be fp weather, we're down there just about nightly until May!

• starismydog
    8 years ago

I looked again at the entire room, last comment I was focusing on the fireplace, as I had never seen a black fireplace before and it was so bold. I love it. You did an amazing job with the light colour flooring, the black window blind, black couch, light walls, pillows match your flooring, everything gels beautifully. You really changed the look of the room completely. It is very upscale and modern in comparison to the before pic. It is budget friendly too. Also love your kitty, lol!

• Kanga
    8 years ago

OMG...I LOVE IT!!! Absolutely perfect!

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much starismydog and kangadr!

I know I've said it before, but we are so happy with the way the entire room turned out! Anything we did would have been a huge improvement over "storage central" of course, but this exceeded our expectations. :)

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

monicakm_gw, here are the disks hanging on the wall:

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

monicakm_gw requested a few more pics:

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Perfect!

Sponsored