Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

'TinMan' FP painted Plus SW Restrained Gold (lots of pics)

ladynimue
16 years ago

Chicory knick named my oh so lovely FP the "Tinman" - and she photo shopped it for me too :) Thanks Chicoryflower for giving me that extra incentive to finally paint the behemoth after 4 years of living with it's ugliness!

Here's the before:

{{!gwi}}

Here's Chicory's photo shop job:

{{!gwi}}

And here it is now:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The paint on all the walls is SW Restrained Gold - it shows differently depending on the lighting. Here's how it looks on the other end of the space, in the dining area, at night with just indoor lighting:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• amcofar
    16 years ago

Bravo!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Very well done indeed! An excellent job on the fireplace -- a complete transformation -- and now it really "works" in the room!

Jan

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

Very nice :-) I bet the fireplace was a time consuming job. A lot of small places to paint. It looks soooooo good! Much better than the 'tin man' look. I like the restrained gold, too. I had that on my list of possibilities.

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Surprisingly it only took two coats of paint, and I didn't use any primer. But yeah, my shoulder is still hurting from getting paint into all the groves.

It still needs some work, like finishing out the crown molding around the room, same as what we put in the dining area.

I'm really not sure about keeping the painting up there (any suggestions?), and I think if I can catch dh in a very, verrrry good mood then I'll ask him to build a bigger box mantel. We can't change the style of mantel because the things it slides onto are built right into the brick and mortar! But maybe I can add some detail to it or something. It just seems too narrow for the space - I don't like how it chops it in half.

Soon as we finish up with work in the kitchen, I get my new floors. I can't wait for that!!

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

That is an amazing transformation. The painted fireplace is so much easier on the eyes!!!!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Thank goodness you were able to paint that eye sore and make it a wonderful fireplace. Chicory did such a wonderful photo shop job.

Sky

• brutuses
    16 years ago

That fireplace looks fabulous. Good job.

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'm really liking the new paint color. Amazing how closely it matches Chicoryflower's photo shop pic.

Brutuses I think you've helped me with these rooms before so I'm glad you got to see this :)

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Meant to write that this is *beautiful*. The colors all look so creamy and sunny--delicious. I can't believe how different the RG looks in different lights...And yes, chicory, good onya -- now just get over that strep!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

That's fantastic, Ladyinmue. I'm so glad I could help.
    I like the warmer brown you picked for the shelf. I works really well with the restrained gold.

Thank you for sharing the follow-up.

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

The mantle shelf really looks like wood, love the transformation, the wall color, etc. I can tell you're really liking it too. What kind of floors are you going to do?

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad you got to see it Chicory :) I used a color on the same paint card as the Restrained Gold - amazing how closely it matched your photoshopping. And I hope you feel much better very soon!!!

Thanks for the compliment Flyleft - I just love the creaminess of it all. And imho, the RG looks great no matter how the light is shining - it was hard to find a color that would work well with all the windows and open space I have :)

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Prairegirl we just found out that we're moving to Denver in just a few weeks so our plans for the floor are nixed. We'll most likely leave them as is, even though there are two different colors and style of tile in the one open area (I've always hated both!).

Kind of makes me sad that I won't see this home 'finished'.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That looks super great! I missed the Tin Man thread, lol. I might replace/cover the curvy header piece on the bookshelf with a straight piece of moulding, so it follows the more contemporary look of the fp and room.

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel I'm glad you brought up the bookshelf. It is very outdated looking. I think I'll ask dh to cut a piece of wood and nail it up there. I guess it wouldn't look any worse than it does now, lol.

I had plans to finish installing the crown molding tonight, but I am ticked off with dh for taking too long with another project so he is ticked with me, ;) I think we might need to take a break and relax for a while. Reading some of the 'why men won't read directions' thread in the kitchen forum cooled me off quite a bit. Men, just gotta love 'em!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Just pay attention to the edge of the strip, so it flows with the rest of the case and looks like it belongs. Maybe try a piece similar to whatever detailing/look the center strip has (maybe it has a beaded edge or something?)

Good idea to take a break and just relax! Some music, a little glass of wine, and just dream on the future a bit :)

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're right about that Squirrel, some wine and some dreaming is just what we need. And you're right about the edge of the wood strip, too. I'll check out what the stores have tomorrow and see how well I can match it up.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Beautiful job! Hard to believe it's the same FP.

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

I ditto MonaBlair -- hard to believe it's the same fireplace--what a wonderful transformation!

Chicory's mock-up was perfect for that room.
    Great job ChicoryFlower!

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it looks like I have a brand new fp, doesn't it?

Fingers crossed that we finish installing crown molding today. I hope to get the room 'done' so you all can help me tweak it early next week for potential new buyers (our unexpected move to Denver).

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County