Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonaliagrawal_gw

Where do you 'hide' your printer, wireless router, etc?

sonaliagrawal
13 years ago

Home office or desk area question - Right now my printer, wireless router, internet modem etc are all on top of a filing cabinet that sits right by my desk. Ugly and visible all the time. I am wondering what have people on this board done to get them out of sight ? Would love to see pictures too, if any!

Comments (16)

• susieq07
    13 years ago

modum is at my feet under desk to the right, that black thing..

printer to the right of desk on book case shelf,

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

My cable modem is behind the television in a cabinet and the router sits on top of the CPU tower in a section of the computer credenza that has a door. Unfortunately, the printer, an all-in-one, is too large to fit in the space for printers in the credenza so it sits on top of the credenza...unattractive, but functional. At least all the wires are hidden by the credenza.

• natal
    13 years ago

Modem and router sit in a room that is basically unused at the moment. We had a cable connection in there, so it was a great place to get them out of the way.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

DH had his office custom made with a ledge under his desk back against the wall. Not the greatest pictures. Hope you get the idea.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bonniee818
    13 years ago

My printer is on the right looking into the picture and router is right beside computer screen on top pushed up against bookcase so not in full sight so much. Right beside the lamp. When we bought the computer hutch, my husband measured the space and bought me a printer to fit the space. Good luck with your area! The mother board thing is right under the printer in that cabinet. I feel your pain as mine was in sight before this hutch organizer. Bonnie

• burnGirl
    13 years ago

No help here, but

Bonnie - Your office room is so cute and so very well organized. Just this morning I was looking at an article about "Spaces and Storage" and saw pics of gift wraps, bows, ribbons etc put together just as you did. Wow! Great Job!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Modem and router on a shelf/ledge which is up under the desk, out of view. Printer is on a cabinet beside desk but desk w/hutch blocks view unless you come around. I don't mind printer being seen as this room is strictly an office/small den.

tina

• bonniee818
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for all that praise on my craftroom/office space, vcheethi! I do enjoy my space, :)!
    Bonnie

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Modem/wireless is on a shelf behind the DVR in a cabinet in the great room. The wireless printer is upstairs in the bonus room on a desk. I don't mind walking up there to pick up the few items I print.
    Dee

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I bought this flat box computer cabinet (made by Saunders), put it together and spray painted it black:

I had DH make doors and a flip down drawer front for the pull-out tray. I used chicken wire and gathered fabric behind it. This picture is over 5 years old. I don't have a desktop any longer, but still use the cabinet. End of wicker sofa in sunroom. All-in-one is a tad too large for inside, so it sits on top. Function over form. :(

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

We recently finished our basement and made it into both a family room/playroom and an office down there for dh, who works full time from home. We had room for a closet under the basement steps, so we wired the closet with a full out network panel, cable, phone, etc then we hardwired network jacks throughout the basement. Now the modem/router/printer/fax sit in the closet and all the PC's (hubby has several, plus the kids have them in the playroom and oh yeah, our Tivo is hooked up to the network as well) are hardwired to network jacks throughout the basement. Any pc's we need upstairs (my laptop for instance) can print or access the network via wireless.

It's not a practical solution if you're working with an existing room (I LOVE allison's - that's brilliant!!!) but if you're remodeling or installing wiring, the "command center closet" is definitely the way to go.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

So happened that the main cables came in to the house in my
    master walk-in closet, the electrical box and security system wires are in there too. So I just stash the router, printer, etc. on a shelf in there.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Totally fff-topic, but Allison - I have that same glass green float and it sort of sits randomly next to a table like yours is! Made me smile :-)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thanks, lkplatow.

Chris, I have three large ones and a lot of smaller ones. I'm famous on GW for my glass balls. (Inside GW joke for the old timers.)

Here is a link that might be useful: glass fishing floats

• CSKI 13
    7 years ago

Ok...this is an old thread, but the question is still relevant. Have Bluetooth peripherals progressed to the point where you can put your CPU/tower/surface in a ventilated A/V closet along with your modem/wireless router and printer and then just have a monitor and speakers (blutooth) on your desk a room or two away maintaiming the ability to connect to your home network?

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA