Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmp3_gw

Can I do this?

gmp3
13 years ago

I need to make my laundry room / pantry more presentable as we are considering selling, however we may opt to stay here a few more years. . I would like some built in cabinets visible from the doorway. Currently we have all open shelving and it looks messy.

I saw the wall unit below on CL for $200. What do you think of painting it and adding some beadboard trim like my kitchen cabinets (next pic)? We would remove the moulding on the floor around the cabinets and install them like you would for built-ins. I'd replace the clear glass with glass like my cabinets. See my proposed layout. My husband would construct the shelves and built-in laundry bin from MDF and beadboard painted to match the kitchen.

Comments (17)

• User
    13 years ago

Though I hate to see a beautiful cabinet painted I do believe it's very doable. Personally I'd use cabinet grade plywood for the shelves for more durability if they span more than sixteen inches and anaglypta wallpaper for the beadboard since you'll be painting.
    The layout is too small for me to read what's going where so I can't help you there. Sorry. And where is the laundry room in comparison to the kitchen?

• User
    13 years ago

I think it could be a brilliant solution. I'd ask the CL seller if s/he would sell for $150 ... you never know, it might make your project even more of a bargain if "yes" is the answer!

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, good point about the wood, just gotabeme, here is a bigger plan.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I say definately offer a lot less, not because I think the piece isn't nice but it's just from experience. I had such a hard time selling a gorgeous Hooker cherry entertainment unit. I was essentially begging the CL community to buy it! So, I'm sure if they want that big piece out of their house, they will come down in price.

btw, I think your idea is a good one.

• lefleur1
    13 years ago

We also tried to sell our cherry entertainment unit (Hooker in perfect condition) ~~ and ~~ we finally had to list it *free* to get someone to take it!

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, good point about the prices too, TV entertainment centers are hard to unload and it never hurts to ask. ;-).

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you for the larger picture. Even with my new awesome glasses I couldn't read the teeny print. I can see now where you'll put this cabinet and I think it would work wonderfully there. Do you entry this room from the kitchen? Possibly from the far side of the fridge? Are the other cabinets in the pantry/laundry room painted? Just curious on that last one.

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The entrance is off the eating are to the left of this hutch,

Right now there are no cabinets. My plan is to paint all the cabinets to match and have my husband build a laundry sorting bin to match the kitchen island (beadboard and trim).

• Susan
    13 years ago

oh nice kitchen!
    i love the cabs for your laundry room, does the one on the right have several base drawers?
    since you asked, i think i'd leave them wood stained.
    i love that they match in style, but also really like to incorporate furniture pieces into my rooms. add the molding and go for the built in look; i think they'll look and work great.
    excellent cl score!

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fallingwaters, Interesting thought.

Would you paint out the shelving and beadboard? My husband will NOT be willing to make stained shelving, it would be so much more work! I was also planning on having these cabinets act as a base to attach the open shelving.

Yes one cabinet has lots of drawers which will be great to hold all the odds and ends we have in the space now. About half the the "pantry/laundry room" area is pantry/food, half other misc. household stuff like extra batteries, art supplies for the kids, etc.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks for the picture and explanation.

I think maybe what fallingwaters means is to leave this cabinet as is, but go ahead and paint our the shelves and other pieces you'll be making.
    Since he's making the shelves from scratch it's really just as easy to stain as it is to paint if he used water based stains. That's what we're doing with all our trim. It's high in pigment so there's only need for one coat of stain.

• Susan
    13 years ago

right, leave the furniture grade pieces as furniture, and paint what your husband builds for you.
    looking into the room you'll see the now built in craigslist pieces; with the shelves hidden in the corner between them, which i think is brilliant.

suse.

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the painted stained combo will look beautiful and will pull in the wood floors fro my kitchen. The laundry room will be tiled. Once again, great ideas from the gardenwebbies!

Now I have to negotiate with the seller and convince my husband....

Thank you everyone!

• User
    13 years ago

Good luck!

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So we finally went to see the CL pieces in person and...the "drawers" are really 2 doors, which completely changes how functional the pieces would be. The seller was willing to take $150, but I don't think it will work for us. Back to the drawing board! Thanks everyone.

• User
    13 years ago

I think you dodged a bullet . . .the wood was not in the same league as your painted cabinetry. I love wood, but only Good Wood can stay wood, If you know what I mean.

• gmp3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was actually nice, Thomasville and solid, just the wrong configuration.