Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

A girl walks into an antiques/ salvage store......

ttodd
12 years ago

So it wasn't a yard sale this time - no chandie but I did find something perfect this morning.

We still have yet to do our kitchen after being here for 11yrs. We could really care less about it. I've had lots of hairbrained ideas about what to do etc. but again - we really could have cared less about it to even want to begin forking out money on a kitchen reno.

So I found this pic awhile ago & thought 'Hmmm...fits our house style, cheap to do - this is good!'

And I remembered this huge old handpainted restaurant sign at a sort of local place. It's massive. So I stopped this morning to see how much they were asking for it - prepared for a price of a few hundred, some back and forth and a payment plan.

The nice lady called the owner then said:

"$50"

I don't have a pic of it yet - DH is picking it up Saturday. Of course I got the whole "That sign? Where are you going to put it? Do you know how big it is? Will it fit into our kitchen?" speech to which I responded: "Of COURSE it will fit honey! Why wouldn't it fit? It's only $50 and I have a plan! DON'T WORRY! Can I get it?"

It has the name and then says the following:

Cocktail Lounge

Coffe

Breakfast

Lunch

Late Nite Snacks

Beef

Beer

and a bunch of other stuff

Available for Banquets and Meetings

How cool will this be?! It's easily 10-13'w and 5-6' tall.

Now of course it will take up the entire wall over our sink so I'll have to rip out those cheesey, cheap cabinets over it but we were planning on making our own cabinets anyways w/ my dad's help and he designed a better layout & footprint for us.

Comments (18)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Sounds like fun -- hope to see pics soon. :)

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

I love the idea. Can't wait to see the sign.

• pps7
    12 years ago

I love the inspiration pic. you must put those lamps above it as shown in the pic. that's too cute.

I'm collecting a closet full of stuff to be used for future projects. Right Now, it consists of a printer's tray, a stencil, some fabric etc. I also have a secretaries desk that needs some tlc.

My DH also has the same comments "you're going to do what with that?

• enailes
    12 years ago

Things have a way of showing up exactly at the right time...love the kitchen inspiration.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

I've learned over the years not to do much to a space until I have a vision. Looks like this is your inspiration. My kitchen needs work but I'm not willing to shell out the bucks, I'm hoping I get the idea of what to do with it on the cheap. If I could only do carpentry work!

• madtown_2006_gw
    12 years ago

I loooove your inspiration pic and can't WAIT to see the sign! Sounds awesome!

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I love your inspiration picture! I have some old signs too and I think they add so much character to a room. Don't forget to post a picture!

• caminnc
    12 years ago

That's gonna look soooo awesome!

• redbazel
    12 years ago

I'm not jealous.

Do you know why? Because the biggest wall in my kitchen will only hold a 30" wide print. That.........is why I'm not jealous of you getting a cool vintage kitchen sign.

Red

• dancingqueengw
    12 years ago

OMG! The sign on your inspiration photo is incredible! My DH is a Pharmacist and I would LOVE to have something like this in our kitchen. Your new (old) sign sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see pictures.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I love your inspiration pic so much that I'm going to use elements of it in my lake house. I have a set up of the kitchen very similar. It's rustic with one wall all old brick which I have a large old metal sign on it. Now I know I have to take out the granite and put in the wood countertops, the granite is too shiny and new and then I'm going to install two of those shelves one above the other and lower the tile area. Yippee, I'll have another project to do, can wait to see the progress of yours. Love the description of the sign and for me, when it comes to art, bigger is better.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Thumbs up!!

• lkplatow
    12 years ago

Congrats on the great score! Please share the name of that antiques store/salvage place -- I need some new haunts!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey lkplatow! It's The Trading Post. They moved (no fear of a wall falling in on you now!) down th estreet beside the liquor store, Not nearly as big and a lot less to chose from. Seems he may be doing a good business w/ industrial styled tables and such. They look really good. DH picked up a table top from there for a customer to refinish and he's taking it back to have industrial legs added to it.

Owner has always been such a nice guy and I hope this is the start eof a nice working relationship between DH & him because there are some superiorly fantastic industrial farmhouse tables that he does and I'd like an island.

• lkplatow
    12 years ago

Wow! I drive by that place every day practically. I used to go all the time when they were in the decripit building, but I haven't been in the new store since they moved - I was going to stop last week but they were closed that day. I'm definitely going to have to pop in there now. Thanks!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I stopped by 2 Tuesdays ago and saw that they were closed too! Only day & that's the one I picked! I was so happy when DH said that he had to go last Saturday. It was my first time in the new place. I have a few things from the old place.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

It all starts with a vision.....! ð¡

• lala girl
    12 years ago

oh wow - that will look amazing! (I still regret not forcing DH to stop and pick up this huge and awesome BBQ sign that was on the side of the road back when we lived in Atlanta. I still think about places I could hang it and that was 10 years ago!).

Sometimes it just takes the right inspiration piece to get started on a project. This sounds like just the perfect thing - can't wait to see pics!