cliff_and_joann

Oriental rug question

cliff_and_joann
12 years ago

I have an open floor plan...

I found an oriental rug for our DR that I love,

It also is beautiful with our LR...my question is --

would you put the same rug in the LR in a smaller size

5 x 8? The colors are all so perfect for us.

Comments (24)

• lindac
    12 years ago

No 2 Oriental rugs are alike....you don't match Oriental rugs in side by side areas.
    I might put another rug in the living room of a different type but with similar colors.
    Linda C

• chispa
    12 years ago

Oriental rugs can be identical if they are machine made. Not everyone has the budget for hand knotted unique rugs. That said, I would not use 2 rugs of the same model near each other as that will emphasize the fact that they are machine made. I would find a second rug that complements the first, either through the pattern or the colors.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the rug. I want it for the DR.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• christina923
    12 years ago

i would get two.... its a beautiful rug and i think it would be next to impossible to find something that compliment it without going to a solid color for the living room.

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

It could also depend on how close the two rugs are to each other in the open floor plan. Since you want a smaller one for the living room, does that mean there might be furniture between it and the dining room? I have seen two identical machine-made rugs next to each other, and it looks fine.

Are you able to buy and then return? Really, with rugs you should put them in your space and return them if they don't work. I can't tell you how many rugs I've hauled in and out of my houses until I found what I wanted. Just like paint, they look different in different contexts -- you need to sample.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

One word of caution: it is a tufted rug. They tend to shed and not look as nice after some wear. If it is something you want to keep for years, you may want to keep looking.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I disagree that no two oriental rugs are alike. Perhaps they are not identical, but new rugs will be made with exactly the same patterns and colors because the modern buyer wants exactly what they want.

I used paired rugs in a living room and dining room of a center hall colonial, and while they were not identical, as Linda alludes to, they look so much alike that you can't tell which is which without measuring since the dimensions are a few inches different in each direction. These were rugs that cost in the 5 figures each and were definitely not machine made. The rooms mirrored each other in a symmetrical house and that's what the client wanted.

That said, I prefer mixed rugs in my own house (which is good because I couldn't afford two at a time). But, there is nothing wrong with pairing rugs, either.

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

I think duplicating the rug looks more like a hotel than a private house. Why not find another Persian in similar colors?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

I just wanted to mention that I found them on eBay for better prices and free shipping. See the link below.

I have Karastans in the same 'series' in my house, so they are different but the colors blend. I wouldn't hesitate to put one of these in both of your rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Hanan Persian

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responces...
    to answer your questions, these two rooms get hardly
    any use, only when we get company
    for dinner then we use the DR. We live in the kitchen and family room.
    There are two chairs between the LR & DR the passway is between the two chairs.

My three-dogs thanks so much for the link...I'm going to
    pottery barn next week to see the rug, then I'll order
    from ebay...just to be clear, you would get put this
    same rug in both rooms?
    Other opinions still welcomed, would you or wouldn't you?

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

The rug is beautiful, but I would rather see a different one with similar colors in the other room. Do they have another one at pottery barn with a different pattern by the same company?

• ww340
    12 years ago

I prefer having matching or very similar rugs in adjoining rooms. I have done this with very expensive orientals as well as machine made. As palimpsest said, even if they are not exact very few people would notice. Just make sure the colors are right.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Would you or wouldn't you depends on what you like.

The look you get mixing pattern and color of rugs is very different from the matched look. I like both looks. Two, well-coordinate rugs bring a very different eclectic vibe and energy than two 'matching' rugs.

Define your style and taste and then let that help you decide which way you should go - mix or match.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention that overstock.com is another great resource for rugs.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Matching is a much more formal and rigid look and you would expect to see a lot of symmetry between the two rooms such as same paint, same upholstery fabric, same lighting fixtures, etc. Non matching can still be formal if similar tones are used, but it's a freer interpretation of formal and can run to casual as well.

• User
    12 years ago

I would not use the same rug in both rooms for many of the same reasons given above. Whether or not it is okay is obviously a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't do it. That said, if you do want to use the same pattern/colors, better to do it with two rugs of the same size and in two rooms that closely mirror each other's size and shape. Having the same rug in two different sizes definitely makes them look less unique and more machined, IMO, and using an identical rug in a completely different room looks like you just got tired of looking :)

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well, thanks for all the imput.
    now more food for thought..I currently have two
    red(not matched orientals)in the LR & DR.

The walls are all painted in a pale, pale, beige.
    The drapes and romans match in both rooms. The dining
    chairs are dark brown ultra suede, and one chair in the LR
    is dark brown valour.
    So, if this rug looks good in the DR it will look good in the LR, ...'I think???'...I donno...
    Please keep the comments coming, as Pal said, there is nothing wrong with paring rugs'
    BTW the family room is open to the DR, in the FR I have
    two orientals that I rotate, one is a red folk art theme,
    and one is a maroon-ish red with a cream border.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found this pic to show the proximity of the two rugs
    in the rooms. We're going to sand the floors and do them
    a little lighter in color.

This is the LR rug, I have since moved the rug up to the
    sofa. We have the same window treatment on the French
    door in the dining room.
    They are two seperate rooms, but are closely related in
    theme.

One more question, why is it so hard to make decisions
    for your own home, and so easy to have an opinion on
    someone elses home? :) sign me one of the biggest
    arm chair decorators on the GW (for someone else's house:)LOL)

DR french door.

• User
    12 years ago

Joann, that is one if the Great Mysteries of Life, lol. I can give advice on others' decorating dilemmas like nobody's business but have a hard time with my own! Now, having seen the rooms in question, I think the rug is a wonderful choice in terms of style and color, but would not use two of them as they are too much in proximity to each other. I would use the rug in the LR area where you will see more of the pattern.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa, I want desperatly to get rid of the DR rug, and love the PB rug in question for that room, especially with the dark DR chairs. Either way, both have to go cause the red will clash with the pottery barn rug...

alrighty, now that I posted the pic's will the rest of you arm chair decorators come forward...and you real decorators --
    your opinions are welcomed as well...

• User
    12 years ago

The rugs you are using are not large enough for the rooms, and I'm not fond of matchy matchy ever. Don't do the match. And buy the next size up if you buy it at all. Rugs that are too small contribute to a choppy look in a room. The absolutely only way that I'd do two matching rugs is if one of them were much larger and served as the "base" for a layered look with additional rugs on top of it.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Here is what I think is a nice example of mixing oriental rugs.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

I love the look of the PB rugs; however, most of them are hand tufted, not hand knotted. This means that they are a lot less durable and have glue and a latex (?) backing. I had a PB rug I absolutely loved, but after a few years, the backing disintegrated, and the rug stank so bad that I had to get rid of it. PB said that they fixed the problem; however, I still can smell it with some of their rugs. Also, if you buy the rugs on Ebay, they may not be authentic, but more importantly, you are not able to return them to PB should they start smelling.
    I just came across some pretty neat rugs at our local Costco. You can see more on the web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco rugs

• redbazel
    12 years ago

Caminnc, that's a good photo! Love the look.

I don't usually like matching, but lately have found that I like a little more symetry than usual in my life. I like the PB rug very much, it reminds me of one I bought a few years back at Home Goods. It looked beige in the store, but took on a sage tone in my house with my old paint color, Baby Turtle, on the wall. Now that my paint is grayer, the rug looks more beige. I don't know what I would do JoAnn. Buy the one you know you want and go from there.

Red