Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Entertainment Consoles - balance and proportion

This is a s/o of my other thread, it's something I want to be sure to get right: how to achieve the correct balance and proportion for tv that is over a long entertainment console.

I've been looking at Houzz...some tvs are almost as long as the console:

{{gwi:2140036}}

Modern Living Room

{{gwi:2140037}}

Beach Style Living Room by Boston Interior Designers & Decorators Terrat Elms Interior Design

{{gwi:2140038}}

Traditional Family Room by Dallas Design-Build Firms Designer

Some are relatively smaller (not as long) and then other items are placed on the console surface:

{{gwi:2140039}}

Midcentury Living Room by Seattle Architects & Building Designers SHED Architecture & Design

{{gwi:2140040}}

Traditional Family Room by Phoenix Tile, Stone & Countertops ACS Paradise Concrete Design Studio

{{gwi:2140041}}

Contemporary Living Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Ugljesa Kekovic

How do you know which way to go? The console that DH and I like, and want to get or find something similar, is relatively long compared to the size of our tv. Will it really look weird? I like the storage provided by the long console, I think we NEED the storage as our house (and the room) is relatively small and generally inadequate for storage. Also I feel like many smaller pieces in the room just make the space feel cluttered and choppy. But my sense of design is...well it needs work ;-)

Even with a smaller console, I don't hope to cram in extra seating or anything because the room is small. No one would sit in the corners on either side of it, anyway, it's just not how we use the room (have been here 14 years). So why bother with a smaller console if all it achieves is balancing out the size of the tv? Furthermore, DH wants a BIGGER tv in the future. I don't really want that, but I'd rather pre-plan for accommodating a bigger tv now than re-do it all later (I don't have a projected time for the bigger tv's arrival, but it will probably be in the next 5 years whereas whatever console we buy needs to stay for 10 - 20 years).

Please enlighten me on how to pick the right length and/or tricks for achieving balance if the tv is relatively small compared to the length of the console.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

Comments (10)

• erinsean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Personally I think you need an entertainment console at least 8 inches wider than your TV...(4 or more inches per side).... The problem I have is when people put a large TV over a smaller entertainment console....it looks too top heavy.

If you want to get a larger TV, then I would look for a wider console.....Of the picture you show....only the Midcentury by Seattle Archetects looks odd to me. The rest look fine and they do have a lot of storage.

This post was edited by grandmaof3 on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 13:40

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that comment grandmaof3! It was mentioned in my other thread that if the console is too long it would look unbalanced. The one I'm considering would go along most of the wall, leaving about 40" empty on either side if we put it right in the center.

As advised, I plan to make a mock-up of the piece out of cardboard and see how it suits the room. It would actually be about same length as our sofa, and be positioned across from the sofa, so that seems like they would be balanced. The sofa was is not as long as the entertainment console wall, though, so I'm not sure if that would be a factor to consider.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, definitely do a mock up, take pics (post here, of course) and look at your pics. Things look so different in photos than IRL. I'd go with a longer one because of getting a larger tv in the future. I think it looks much worse to have a stand that is too small for the tv. I agree with Grandma that there should be a good 4 or more inches per side at the least.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would definitely get the longer console to accommodate a larger TV in the future. In the meantime, I would probably put your current TV more to the side and then use some decorative items to fill in the space, such as a grouping of vases, stacked baskets, etc. A small TV in the center will only emphasize that the scale is off.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of the console we're liking. The dimensions are 18.90 inches high x 78.50 inches wide x 19.69 inches deep, and the open shelves will hold everything that needs air circulation.

{{gwi:2144572}}

It's not quite as long as our sofa, and the depth is perfect for even the deepest component (some units I've seen are too shallow). Our tv is 44" wide and on a wall mount (not sure how to hide wiring, maybe those paintable wire hiding things I've seen). The wall the media console would be against is about 14' long, the longest wall in the room (the space is about 11 x 14 but only has 2 2/3 walls, the rest is open to the entry and dining/kitchen).

I hope this unit, or one very similar, is still available come time to re-do the room (maybe in 4 months).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

mello, I know you liked my media unit because you commented on it previously. It's got very similar dimensions to the one you posted, and it's on a wall that is about the same length as your's (the wall itself, there is a door right next to it that extends it visually, and it is part of a much larger LR-DR-Kitchen open plan).

Anyway, I think the picture you show above looks great (smaller TV with "things" on both sides), and I think it also looks good with a larger TV (mine is 65" diagonally, don't know the exact width, but probably about 60") (I have a lamp on one side and a plant on the other, both with relatively simple proportions).

Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan -- you DO have a lovely space I admire ;-) Thanks for the feedback on the size. The more I've tried to imagine it in the space, the more I think it will be a good fit. For several years I've been wanting some type of small "accent light" for when we watch tv/movies, I don't like to view in complete darkness. No place to put anything like that, though, so in adding a console media unit I would also have a place for a small lamp :-)

I also think, with the room being kind of small, that fewer pieces will create a less cluttered feeling...even if it's long it won't be super tall to dominate. I kind of want to just buy it and hide it from DH until we're ready to re-do the room LOL!

• robin_DC
    9 years ago

Melle-- I commented on scale in your prior post. I think it really depends on your preference. If you're planning to get a larger tv, then I would choose a console that is large enough to accomodate that (i.e. at least a foot wider than the larger tv, maybe 18 inches). I prefer no more than a foot between the edge of the tv and the edge of the console (like the first picture you posted from houzz); but again that is personal preference. I think the blue builtin style unit in the houzz picture looks good despite having a larger difference in width, because it has closed door cabinets that seem to serve additional storage purposes and it has been staged well with decorative items flanking the tv. In contrast, in the picture from the website of the console you like, the tv looks undersized relative to the cabinet.
    My larger concern was that the wider piece might overpower your living room, as in your earlier thread you mentioned that your upholstered furniture is too large for the space. Ultimately it boils down to what you like and what you can live with. I dont' think there's a 'wrong' answer.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I would go with the longer one. Mine is too small- it is longer than the tv, but our side speakers are mounted next to the tv and it's shorter than the whole ensemble. I would like to replace it one day, but I'm really picky and we do have seating in the one corner.