Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Best Powder Room Colors

Vertise
11 years ago

What would you suggest for flattering colors for the powder room? What to avoid?

Comments (18)

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Best colors for ladies in the looking glass are the pinks, aquas, IMHO.
    NEVER, NEVER, NEVER yellow or green (we learned from jaundice and "green around the gills."

• crl_
    11 years ago

I painted ours in our last house a white with pink undertones. It did not have a window and the bottom half of the walls was a white-white beadboard. I thought it was a flattering color and nice in the small space with no natural light. If I recall correctly, we used Benj. Moore Cameo.

This post was edited by crl_ on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:25

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any green at all? Even a soft one? Or a really creamy yellow white? What about grays with strong undertones in the green blue range? Originally I'd wanted to do something dramatic, out of my comfort level for wall colors.

I guess a powder room is especially close color-bouncing quarters! Wish I have witnessed the effect of green on the complexion.

Does that mean we always look bad in a green room? There have been strong greens on the bluer side that actually looked good on me but not for the walls. I guess it affects makeup coloring or ability to apply too?

I loove green but have never used it on the walls.

Soft green or seem to be liking yellow greens. Worst of both worlds! But on the softer side.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 16:02

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I have a green powder room, and the room looks great.

I think powder rooms are the ones where anything can go!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Peaches and corals give a lovely blush to anyone looking in the mirror.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yellow green

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

To flatter most skin tones, peaches, but for olive tones warm greens will be flattering.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay. So peaches or aqua haven't been considerations because the vanity plans are for a deep burnt red type color. After dreaming of green and wanting it more on the cheerful side than serious, I realized on the red powder room thread that green is not the best choice for a bathroom. I was hoping to experiment with color on the walls in here but am pretty set on the vanity color although I could go more to the burnt orange side.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Wallpaper! Black, ivory, and metallic gold. I've been looking for awhile, but still haven't found one I actually love.

How about a 'library'? Since a power room is relatively small, make it a jewel box.

Here is a link that might be useful: [wallpaper[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/villa-style-powder-room-eclectic-powder-room-boston-phvw-vp~1192107)

• muse-decor.com
    11 years ago

I totally agree with Patty Cakes. Go bold! I've heard a lot of designers say that the powder is the best place to go bold since it's such a small space. Wallpaper would be a great option. There are some really amazing wall papers out there now. Good luck!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Here's my opinion. I don't get ready in the morning in my powder room. The only thingI use the mirror for in there is to make sure I don't have spinach in my teeth or hair standing on end. (We have a mirror in our mudroom, where there's better light, and that's where I might touch up my lipstick on my way out the door.) So I don't really care if the wall color is flattering. (Mine is a very dark lavender.) So, IMO it depends on how you use your powder room. I would tend to stay away from yellowy greens though, and look more to sage or olive greens.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Corals, peaches, warm reds, pinks, terra cottas. Very dark colors and careful lighting work well, too. Yellow, yellow green, olive green are the least flattering. I appear genuinely jaundiced--not just figuratively--in those colors.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I used pale aqua just in the vanity area and a neutral on the rest of the room. I love the aqua. It makes me feel happy.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Patty, my DS had wallpaper like that in their powder room and it was beautiful! I told them when they build their new house they need to do the same wallpaper. lol.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

What about dark blue-greens? Has anybody done one in those colors? Does anyone have an opinion?

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I love wallpaper in powder rooms.
    There are some amazing papers out now. PR are small enough that you don't need a ton of paper - but the impact is WOW!

Here is a link that might be useful: [powder room wallpaper[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/powder-room-wallpaper-phbr0lbl-bl~l_41274)

• sis3
    11 years ago

Lynxe our powder room is not dark blue green but a very dark green blue, almost black.

• booboo60
    11 years ago

I agree with 'yayagal', light aqua, is very pretty! A couple years ago I thought the powder room needed to be purple! I loved the color but it made the little powder room so dark! So, this winter DH and I painted it a very light aqua, changed the light fixture to a chrome with white shades and with the white trim it looks so cheery and light!