Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtown_2006_gw

Need help choosing a new color for my kitchen (pics)

madtown_2006_gw
15 years ago

I really want to go darker. I feel like the current color brings out too much peach/pink/mauve in the counter and backplash. I took countertop and tile samples to BM and this is what I came up with. I looked at several tan/brown colors but they don't seem to mesh well with the tile/counter...the grayer browns always seemed to look better, so that is the direction I went. Any ideas or opinions?

From the top down:

BM Durango

BM Fairview Taupe

Silk Wash (from my local True Value)

BM Texas Leather

I'm including a link to some additional photos of the kitchen. I wasn't sure how to best represent the current colors so I took most of the pictures twice, with and without flash. The window at the end provides a ton of light. The rug is kind of just there because it's the only place we had room for it...don't necessarily need the new wall color to match with the rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: More kitchen pics

Comments (51)

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I'll have to check that out. (My Texas Leather strip had Berkshire Beige and Coastal Fog)

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• msrose
    15 years ago

bumping for madtown in case anyone has any better suggestions.

Laurie

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Do you have a Sherwin Williams store in your town? I love SW paint cards because they give you the full range of color choices in the same color tone.

What I would do is take your tile and backsplash sample to SW and find a few cards that have the tones of your countertop/backsplash and go 2-3 colors deeper down the card and see how you like the color.

The ones you've chosen are very gray browns and your countertops are much warmer so they look odd together.

I'm looking at SW color strips 13, 14, 15, 16. They are taupey beiges that start really light and go to dark browns.

My favorite is 16 - with kilim beige and Latte on them. #15 has Portabella and Tea Chest which are very dark, but a warm brown.

SW has very inexpensive sample pots so you can choose a few and then paint a poster board size sample board and put it up in the kitchen and see which you like.

I usually get the foam board size poster board. You can either cut it up and make 4 samples per board, or two big ones etc...Sometimes, I just use the whole thing for 1 color and it really is nice to move it around and see a big color block. The little paint chips will never work to give you a true picture of the color in your room, so you're rolling the dice you'll like it if you pick off a tiny paint chip.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I have a neutral kitchen and love it.. i do have some color accents but the wall color is tavern taupe and my tiles are similar to yours but more gray than brown. I have been looking for a turquoise or aqua console/island for a bigger splash of color but I love it as is too.

Go with what you like..

• rosesstink
    15 years ago

I'm a fan of monochromatic color schemes. To do that you need to find a color that matches your tile. And none of the colors you have match IMO. A softer brown might be good. Or how about a totally different direction? Navy blue. With some Waverly navy and white plaid or check curtains. Too country for you maybe?

• danihoney
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'm just passing through, but when I saw your pics I thought "blue" instead. Of the four greens, I like the second from the top. I think a grey-ish blue would be really nice. Sort of a "sand and sea" scheme.
    JMO

• Karen_sl
    15 years ago

I also think a nice blue color. I think its very nice but very neutral. How about a sage green color?
    My kitchen is bright and I chose believable buff, it turns a funny(nice)shade of gold/green in the afternoon sun.
    Go for a color..
    Karen L

• les917
    15 years ago

I think your countertops do have a bit of a pink undertone, more so than the backsplash tiles do. I love greens, but I think that they may only bring out the pink tones more.

I would think about a warm rust or copper or cinnamon color for the walls. By comparison, your counters will look less pink. I see that the adjacent DR has a rug with a lot of red tones - you could go that route, too, since you have not a lot of wall space, and lots of white cabinets to keep the reds from overwhelming the space.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Here's the Fairview Taupe:

and the Texas Leather:

and Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige:

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

BM Affinity Morrel:

BM Affinity Eternity:

Sherwin Williams Reflection:

Sherwin Williams Unique Gray:

• msrose
    15 years ago

I like Caroleoh's SW suggestions. You should also pick up the BM paint sample with Lenox Tan on it. I have the one with six different colors on it.

Laurie

• trk65
    15 years ago

Wow-I'm going to go out on a limb here.
    Of the colors you have posted I like the Texas Leather best, but my first impression is that the darker colors are too dark and the lighter colors just don't bring anything to the table. The Morrel is in the right family as far as light/dark but that color just doesn't seem like it needs to be around food.
    When I look at the Texas Leather and the Fairview Taupe I think going a bit lighter and leaning a bit more towards a green might be a good direction to go in. Colors that pop into my head-
    BM Nantucket Gray (great color-it reads a little bit green but not enough to really be a green)
    BM Vale Mist or October Mist (adjacent colors, October Mist being the darker, again kind of green, kind of gray, kind of neutral)
    BM Affinity Lapland
    If you want to stay neutral take a look at BM Crisp Khaki.
    If available in your area , Ellen Kennon Paints Edgewood Green would be great to look at.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Mad
    Nice Kitchen
    after scrolling several times I would heed les' opinion & try something in the rust/terra cotta family -which may just make the pink tones fade
    Circus did a great job w/the mock ups - but I think it proves the pink undertones are coming out more. The blues & grays are making the area cold as well as bringing out the pinks

I would also paint the pot rack rail the cab color so it blends in

Some images
    http://www.kraftmaid.com/media/productimages/roomscenes/large/asm_lg.jpg

I like this color - don't know name/manufacturer
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m-lYfO7QtOA/RrCwxoR4OCI/AAAAAAAAAMw/rKBVwRVIPmU/s320/IMG_4873.JPG

http://www.justlaura.com/blogger/daily/2007-08%20studio3.JPG

good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben moore virtual fan deck

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks so much everyone. msrose, thanks for the bump!

caroleoh, we do have SW. I think I'll go there this afternoon! Thanks also for the tip on painting posterboard, I never thought of that.

oakleyok, I guess I'm kinda going for a neutral....I really just want to get away from the pinkish undertones and bring some fun into the kitchen...but not too much fun! If that makes any sense! I think trk summed up what I am feeling - the lighter colors don't bring anything to the table, so that is why I thought of going dark. I think I just picked the wrong dark color!

circuspeanut, thanks so much for those mockups....they helped a lot!

I'm not sure how I feel about Navy/blues, but I will take a look when I go to SW today. I also didn't know how I felt about the rust/copper that Les suggested, but after seeing that first link that jejvtr posted...I really like that! I think I will also look at that today. The other links that jejvtr posted are a little too orange for me, but like I said, I really like the first one...it's a little more coppery/browny than the other two (at least to my eye!)

Sooooo...I think I'll take a trip to SW and report back later! Thanks again to you all, I really do appreciate it!

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to add...jejvtr - the plan is def to paint the pot rack....in fact, I'd like to put crown molding on top of the cabs and have it run across in front of the potrack so it looks more "built in". When I do that I'll paint the potrack white. Over the kitchen sink is probably not the ideal place for a potrack, but it's been working for us (as you can see, we don't have a lot of options in this kitchen!)

Also in terms of accents...my dishes are cobalt blue fiestaware so I have a few cobalt accessories - a utensil holder and few other little things. And of course you can see my dishes through the glass cabinet doors (maybe not in the pics, but IRL). Not sure if that changes anything...

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't really like Tea Chest, DH vetoed the blue....kinda like the Lion...any thoughts? Still need to paint some more posterboard :) so I may be back with more pics!

SW Tea Chest

SW Homberg Gray

Behr Lion

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BM Mohegan Green...too dark but I'm liking the green.

• les917
    15 years ago

Sorry you don't care for the Tea Chest - I think that is the best of the last bunch,and doesn't bring out the peach tones in the countertop as the other colors do. I do like the Mohegan Green, though I think a more olive green would be better.

I don't care for the Lion at all, but I will say what I always do - in the end, it is YOUR house and needs to be what YOU love. If the Lion makes your heart sing when you walk in the room, then go for it!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Here's BM Mountain Moss, the same value as Monegan Sage, but a bit towards olive on the same color chart:

BM Raintree Green:

Or what about something in between gray and sage? I kind of like this: BM Stormcloud gray:

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

not to confuse the issue but have you tried BM Ashley Grey?
    I'm liking the darker ones, the lighter colors look kind of generic. Like the Mountain Moss a lot

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i didn't take time to read all the posts, but I did look through all the photos and I love the one called Tea Chest, it is really the only one that gives me a warm foodie feeling that I would want in a kitchen. The greys all seemed a bit cold to me as did the blueish colors..
    the chocolately tea chest might be a little dark to do the entire kitchen, but I have my entire dining room and living room done in dark browns and i love them.
    they are so warm and cozy..some people complain that my house is too dark, but that is their problem, if we like it.

same with you, if you prefer the colder kitchen then that is for you, I live in a very cold climate so i need warm colors, don't have any cold colors INSIDE my house at all on the walls, no grey, white or blue, but if you live in very warm climates you might need the cooler colors.

the tea garden to me feels like a melty nice warm chocolate hug

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After leaving the Lion sample up for awhile, I decided I don't like it....I think I just like the idea of green ....I really like the Mountain Moss. And it would look good with the rug. I finally got some larger sample sheets of 2 of the original colors - Texas Leather and Fairview Taupe and I do still kind of like them. I think I might toy with a few more greens including the Mountain Moss and see what happens! I appreciate your continued advice and opinions!

Betty, I have not seen Ashley Grey, so I will check that out. Don't worry, you're not confusing the issue any more than I am confusing it for myself! I think my husband is about ready to cut me off of anything related to the kitchen!

ronbre, I LOL'd at "the tea garden to me feels like a melty nice warm chocolate hug" :) That is a good point! I do live in a colder climate so I totally understand wanting some warmer colors.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I like the BM Mountain Moss a lot.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I have BM Saybrook Sage in my LR and DR and love it.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Mountain Moss is my favorite so far! I love that color with your tile & kitchen. Good luck.....paint is hard to choose sometimes, isn't it?
    Bonnie

• msrose
    15 years ago

I'm with ronbre, I like the Tea Chest.

Laurie

• niecieb
    15 years ago

Tea chest has my vote. Next would be Mountain Moss.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Interesting -- I immediately said "Mountain Moss, definitely" -- it makes the counter look the least pink by *far*, and I wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

Turns out I'm not alone :)

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i still like the brown however, the mountain moss is also an attractive color, however, if you use it you'll want to add some warm colors to the kitchen to warm it up some i think as with that and the white it could feel a little cold..but you could warm it up with accessories or a LOT of baking ..i could dig that..warm gingerbread..almost as good as chocolate ?

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I FINALLY chose a color! SW Sierra Redwood. I just want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to give me their opinion, look up colors, post pictures, and "paint" my pictures (circus peanut). You all really helped me see that I had other options beyond the brown/grays I originally posted. I love the new color so far, it seems more finished a bright/cheery in there now. I still need to add some crown molding, paint the trim, and get a new exhaust fan. Here's a "before" and "almost after":

• flowerpwr45
    15 years ago

Love it!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you took the plunge on the color.

It looks wonderful!

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

Wow-that is gorgeous! I would have never thought of that color but it looks so good with your counters and backsplash.

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

You picked a great color! Love it!!

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

I saw your before picture and I scrolled down and said "WOW!" out loud when I saw the after. What a beautiful color in that room - good choice!!!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

love the color. I was reading all the posts and looking at all those dark browns and greens and none felt right (but it is YOUR kitchen and not mine) and then I get to the end and see this gorgeous, rich, warm color and I want to clap my hands. It is perfect looking. good job!

• levelyn42
    15 years ago

Good decision on the color, it is perfect.

• msrose
    15 years ago

I would have never thought of that color either, but I absolutely love it! Were you trying to match the red in the picture or is it just a coincidence that they're so close?

Laurie

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Wonderful color in your kitchen. What color is it?
    So cheery and warm looking.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Oh hurrah! I love a good rich terracotta color. Well done, well done! Enjoy your happy warm new space.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I love love that color. My sister has a small kitchen and it looks just wonderful. I think she called it Paprika and it looks like yours.

Good choice!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Too funny. I was quickly scrolling through and saw the red and went - oh wow. Whoever thought of that color was brilliant. I hope she choose it. (Thinking it was another photoshop.) Good job on finding an awesome color.

So, how did you come to this one after all those browns and greens?

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

msrose - The picture came after the paint. I was wandering around JoAnn Fabric and decided to take a quick look down the art aisle "just in case" there was something that would look great in my new kitchen. I saw this and thought it was perfect!

lyban - it's SW Sierra Redwood. And you are absolutely right, cheery and warm is how it makes me feel!

pbrisjar - les917 and jejvtr suggested I try something in the rust/terracotta family, so I picked up a sample of the Sierra Redwood. I had actually almost decided on the Mountain Moss, but then I figured I should probably paint up a sample board of the Sierra Redwood considering I had already spent $5 for the paint :) Lo and behold, once I saw it on the sample board I thought, I LOVE this color! I still wasn't sure it would go in the kitchen, but my husband loved the color too, so we decided to paint one wall and see from there.

I think the biggest problem I had before was 1 - I couldn't imagine what "went" with the tile and counterop so was really limiting myself and 2 - I was too focused on picking a color that "went" and not focused enough on finding a color that I LIKED. Actually liking the color made me bold enough to try it on the wall. As others have mentioned, I don't think most of us would look at it and say "oh yes that will look great" [well, except for Les and jejvtr ;)] It sort of takes a small leap of faith!

Anyway, this has truly been a learning experience with color and I thank you all again!

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

I was going to say Mountain Moss - but continued reading down to find that you've chosen and done... I LOVE IT! Great choice!

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Wow! It's dropdead gorgeous in there.
    Wow what a difference from all those other colors!
    Great choice :)

• timber.j
    15 years ago

That looks great! Good job!

• mariap
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. Very rich looking. I love it.