Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

More PINK - the new issue of House Beautiful - - -

tinam61
13 years ago

is the spring color issue. Lots of pink.

tina

Comments (65)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Cheri, thanks! "Warm" is the most frequently used word people use to describe the color in person. I think that's good thing!

Cooperbailey, glad you like! I'm sure a fan of your recent use of pink paint. Love the color in your powder room!

Powermuffin, thanks so much!

Ficklefeather, what a nice compliment. I'm glad you feel I made it work!

Bumblebeez, that's mighty nice of you to say!

Tina, I thought that some of the HB rooms were over the top, while others were subtle and very nicely done. Guess when you devote an issue to one color it's about exploring all facets of it. I really liked Carol Prisant's article, and thought she looked so pretty sitting next to the gorgeous Ralph Lauren color, Hibiscus.

Maybe HB did a study of pink this month to honor Valentine's Day in the year of Honeysuckle!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Loribee, thanks so much!

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Pink is definitely not my favorite color but I like it in small doses. After all the pink posts lately I have been thinking I need to add pink somewhere in my house. But that issue was sooooooooo in your face pink. I am going to give my issue to my lovely nieces. They will love it.

• DruidClark
    13 years ago

I loved it. Made me feel all girly and springy, despite the snow pack, frigid temps, winter layers, etc. ad forever. Stinky. LOVE your room. Such a gorgeous color.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Genevieve Gorder used F&B's "Calamine" in a room on "Dear Genevieve" recently. Very pretty.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did think the issue was "springy". I like the small den/living room that was ballet slipper pink and lots of white molding (had a fireplace). But I do not see my hubby enjoying pink! Although - we did have a pink guest bedroom in our first house and until recently we had a lot of pink and pale green in our sunroom - although not on the walls.

Stinky - your room is gorgeous and that secretary is to die for! The dark wood really looks nice with your pale pink walls.

I wear alot of pinks and turquoise colors. The whole range - from baby pink and aqua to bright hot pink and turquoise.

I do indulge my love for pink in the landscaping. All our flowers are shades of pink, white and blue/purple.

tina

• User
    13 years ago

Count me in as another who loves pink, especially the color of stinky gardener's beautiful rooms!

No pink paint, but my living room sofa is a pink and green check and two chairs are a pink and cream chinoiserie print. I have pink flowers in that red, green and pink room right now. :)

• sherwoodva
    13 years ago

I love pink. My DR is pink, a lot of my shirts are pink, and most of my flowers are pink. But stinky gardener's pink room is much nicer than mine! That is one gorgeous room. I am drooling over everything - the floors, the rug, the furniture, the window treatments. Very nicely done.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I also love stinky-gardener's LR.

Here's another nice color: Martha Stewart Pink Sky.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Steward pink sky

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The fourteen foot ceiling in my old apartment was pink and surrounded by a plaster cornice that was 15" x 18" or something, and depending upon the time of day the ceiling could look "not white" all the way to really pink and "floating above the cornice". Albert Hadley, I think it is regularly does pink ceilings.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Love HB, the pink issue...not so much.

I don't hate pink, but it's not a color I use at all. I do think dedicating the ENTIRE issue to it was a miss. Every single feature was pink themed, which is just too much.

Ann

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

LOVE the color pink! I don't have a pink room, but do have pink, in various shades, as accents in a few rooms. I'll have to pick up the issue and see what all of the buzz is about.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I think when done right, pink can look really modern and sophisticated. I think that we are just "overpinked" ask little girls and only associate it with being a child.

I love pink peonies in a vase that add just a bit of color to a room.

I am planning on using a sophisticated pink when I finally get to my bedroom, but I think the walls will be a charcoal gray, with lots of creams for the bedding, and then add in the sophisticated pink colors in great fabrics and accessories. Nothing too girly, Mr. Bee wouldn't be too happy about that.

Here are some photos and a link to a room Sarah Richardson did. It is a hotel room that was done for Breast Cancer awareness.

Oh, and in case you forgot, the inside of my coat closet is hot pink, and the inside of my linen closet is hot pink too:
    {{!gwi}}

Sarah's Hotel Room:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: design inc.'s page about the hotel room

• lynxe
    13 years ago

I'm not a fan of pink, but now I'm tempted to buy the issue simply because the magazine is not -- once again -- featuring yet MORE beige/brown rooms. Every time I've been tempted to subscribe or even buy an issue, a quick flip through reveals rooms just like every other room in every other issue in recent memory. Beige beige beige with (oh boy!) some blue rooms (with brown or beige, naturally) to liven things up every few issues or so.

But back to pink - Even though it's not my favorite color, I can see how someone with creativity and imagination could use it to create a beautiful space. Like stinky gardener, wow, way to go on that lovely, soft and invitingly enveloping pink. I really like it. But that hotel room -- ugh. Those stripes make me want to poke my eyes out, and those shades of pink, like in the glass lamps, hurt my teeth. Not a relaxing room at all.

• susieq07
    13 years ago

Our guest suite complete with guest PC, and very pink and we love it! even dh..said what a pretty room!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

I'm really bowled over by the enthusiastic remarks many of you have shared regarding my room! Thanks for the affirmation.

Druidclark, thanks for your kind words!

Tina, thanks so much! I've enjoyed that little secretary! Picked it up last year at a nearby "junktique" store.

Kswl, I appreciate that. I love Chinoiserie fabric, and yours sounds gorgeous. Post a pic if you can!

Colorcrazy, how very nice of you! Thank you.

Gsciencechick, thanks so much. I love Martha's pink rooms too. Leave it to Martha! I did mine a couple of years before hers & had never seen a pink living room before. When the Martha Stewart Living issue came out featuring those rooms I couldn't believe it! So enjoyed seeing her (impeccable) use of the color.

Lynxe, wow, thank you very much! I agree that beiges and buffs are not for everyone or for every room!

Mjsee, my sister was just telling me about that Dear Gen episode a couple of days ago! I googled it, but couldn't find any still or video images. Sounds very intriguing!

• User
    13 years ago

I am not a pink fan. I am a big House Beautiful fan. It's one of my favorites. I did enjoy it even though not a pink fan. Some of the rooms just had pink accessories and I don't mind that.

Last month's HB was the very 1st time I ever didn't like a single house in the magazine. I got nervous hoping it's not changing due to new editor. But, this month I am back to liking several rooms. So, I'm happy again :-)

• kathec
    13 years ago

I'm not into pink, but I always love the paint picks and kitchen of the month sections...

• misenplace
    13 years ago

My issue hasn't arrived yet, but I have admired some of the pink rooms HB has featured in the past even though they wouldn't necessarily work in my home. Can't wait to see the new issue!

On the topic of pink...I love this quote (from a past issue of HB) from an interview of designer Roman Alonso:

":Q: Before you became a designer, you worked with Isaac Mizrahi. What's the best thing he taught you?

A: Hot pink is a neutral. Tell me one single color that doesn't look good with hot pink."

And Mizrahi certainly does know how to work the pink!

Here is a link that might be useful: HB interview of Roman Alonso

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Stinky, add me to your list of admirers! What a charming, elegant living room you have! The pink walls are just lovely too, calling to mind the perfect color of the inside of a shell.

Beekeeperswife makes me want to paint the inside of something that same bright color! So happy!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

LOvED the issue! I can't ever imagine decorating w/ pink in my home but I live vicariously through issues like that. My favorite room was the LR that had the faded salmony floral furniture. So not me but so a place I would love to stay at!

Where did you find the info for the Dear Genevieve episode? I hate HGTV's web site becuase I can never find product info anymore and I really, really liked that episode.

Stinky - your LR is beautiful! I love the wood w/ the pink.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Stinky, I keep going back to stare at your room. That is absolutely lovely! I love all of it...the furniture is divine, the window treatments are so elegant, and the accessories are just right. I have a similar rug in my entryway, sort of a salmon pink with cadet blue and pale green. Love it! You have the living room I'd have if I had a different life.

I like that Sarah Richardson room, but I would have traded at least one of the striped fabrics to a print or floral. (((pink lamps)))

I picked up a copy of the mag at the grocery today, and I'm going to take a peek tonight.

• User
    13 years ago

Want. That. Hotel. Room.

I could happily live in that room forever!

• User
    13 years ago

Palimpsest, lots of designers have lampshades lined with a light pink fabric . . . It makes people look better.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Auntjen, thanks! That's such a nice description and a sweet thing to say!

Ttodd, thanks so much!

Franksmom, my goodness, thank you! From your posts here I have sensed that you and I like a lot of the same things! Would love to see a pic of your rug.

In the Sarah hotel room, I love that little striped chair. Can't take my eyes off of it when I look at the pic!

• Vivian Kaufman
    13 years ago

I used to buy the pink light bulbs when I could find them... Now they're nowhere to be found. Sad. And I really, really dislike CFLs.

I think that I'll have to pick up the issue. I'm looking for some grown up ways to get pink in my decor--and I'm just not a fan of "paint everything neutral and accessorize with color." I really, really want it to be some sort of statement.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

OK, so I read through my copy last night. That totally neutral house that had a splash of pink in each room? Just a bit too sedate and bland for me. They had some lovely things, but it had a Restoration Hardware funeral vibe.

Some of the rooms were just too much, but I did get some ideas. I'm wondering if I could pull off pink walls in the entryway? I bought that rug to go in the dining room, but it didn't work there, so I just threw it in the entry. I had some old needlepoints with a salmon-y-mauve-y background I had been wanting to hang, and they complimented each other well, so that's where they ended up. here's the rug;

That entry needs a lot of work, but it's low on the priority list, so maybe later this year? The coat closet needs a makeover, too, so I may steal Bee's ideas.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Omigod ding dong! What a delicious treat to read and SEE all this pink deliciousness!stinky -- I'll be RIGHT over. What an elegant and serene space. I am also pretty gaga for that Sarah Richardson hotel room. I think I've told before how I have wanted wanted wanted a pink bedroom but that is the one place where my partner has drawn the line ... and if you've seen the rest of our home / gardens you'll know he is pretty passive. So when he said "nuh-uh" to the pink bedroom I sadly acquiesced ....

Okay, so since I've already ad nauseam posted pics of my hot pink side tables, powder room, etc., I am going to share my Facebook profile pic. Of course it's ME but I'm holding up my hot pink & orange weaving, so everyone knows for sure it's me.

I'll have to get someone to take a picture of me in my current favorite outfit ... capable people have gone off skiing today, so later, maybe.

Love reading and seeing all this pink love!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

One of the featured houses is a neutral house with a limted number of really pink accessories and flowers. Change those out and it could be featured in the "teal" issue. Its kind of cheating in a way but its a very effective way to decorate a house: the look can be changed with a small closet or big box full of stuff.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

There is pink, and then there is pink!

Cheri, there may be no hope for your dtr. My dtr is 29, and she still loves pink. Decorates with it, wears it, loves it. Her apartment is very pretty in pink, but not a "girly" apartment itself, as she is. She gets if from her grandmother, who loved pink until she died at age 94.

As for lampshades with pink underlining: We had pink lightbulbs in our living room for several years that made the room (and us!) look better than any other bulbs we've ever used. Alas, I cannot find them anymore.

I underlined my oldest dtr's almost-but-not-quite-white silk wedding gown with pink and it was just perfect! Certainly not pink, but warm and beautiful.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

RMkitchen, thanks! Come on over! The color of that weaving looks so pretty with your skin and hair, and what beautiful eyes you have.

Franksmom, I love, love, love your rug! Gorgeous. Wow! Is it a Karastan?

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Love the pink hotel room- that's an awesome way to add color. Does anyone know where to buy the lamps? I looked where it said where to buy but don't see it. Also the pink striped fabric - did not see it at the fabric link.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Stinky, thanks so much! I have no idea...it was $20 at a garage sale, and I don't think it has a tag. LOL!!

All of this pink talk has me thinking about that entryway. Do the walls want to be pink, too? Maybe a very pale shade of that pink from the rug?

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Awwwww, Sherrman, I love the pink underlined wedding gown! Hope I remember it by the time DD1 gets married. Just wonderful!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

$20.00 Franksmom? Lucky you! Great rug and a great bargain too!

I think the walls in your entryway would be so pretty in a soft pink! How about Odessa Pink? Chippendale Rosetone, a little darker, could also be an option. Both are subtle, beautiful colors in the Ben Moore Historic palette.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

To me, Stinky's room is classic. The color combination of the pinkish/peach combined w/dark furniture and white trim will never go out of style.

Our LR before the remodel was a pink/peach color and I loved it!

Perfect colors to show off antiques.

Stinky, just beautiful!!!!!

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

I think pink can be a tasteful accent (and I did love stinky gardner's living room and Sarah Richardson's hotel room), but it's too feminine for me to ever consider using as a major decor color. However, I do like the idea of the pink ceilings palimpsest was talking about! Real Simple featured a beautiful bedroom remodel recently with deep green walls and a pale pink ceiling. It's supposed to be "more restful" than white. My ceilings need painted, and I was very tempted to copy this idea...but I suspect pink popcorn is even worse than the white kind. :p

The pic online doesn't do it justice compared to the magazine!

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Simple Bedroom Makeover

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I don't usually read HB but I'll have to get a copy just to check out all the pink colors and get ideas for my 7 yr old DD's room.

She is completely head over heels in love with pink. Both sets of her eye glasses are pink Juicy Couture's, most of her clothes and hair ribbons are pink, etc. However, her room is still done in her nursery colors - very English county with deep reds, powder blues, and soft yellows.

She would love to have it redone in typical girly pink colors. Nothing too vibrant though. I need a very, very pale ballet pink for the walls that will work with her powder blue duvet and shabby chic furniture.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Had I not already had really pretty curtains in a robins egg blue w/ brown and white jacobean print AND ordered a personalized stocking for DD in RH Silver Sage and brown I would have done her room in grey and pink in a heartbeat!

Anyone remember that raspberrry bureau that I'd painted for her?

I dream about how I would do her room w/ a can of warm grey paint, white quilts on both beds and salmon pink sheets from IKEA but I just won't justify spending money when she already has a lovely blue, brown and white room. Well - almost lovely. It's getting there!

• chris11895
    13 years ago

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll do my daughters room in pink and yellow or paink and aqua. Either way the pink will be more of the secondary color, I think. I never liked pink but she loves it :-)

I just got this issue in the mail today and I like the room on page 89 - the washed out red stripes look so neat and comfy! And, while not pink at all, that kitchen on page 83 wasn't too shabby either!

The kitchen is on-line, but the family room is not:

• User
    13 years ago

I have loved this thread . I don't have anywhere to put " pink"...but wait...I always think of it as 'rose' or 'salmon' ...it depends on the light. Tonight it is in a room that has chocolate walls...it used to be in the room with navy walls. Tonight there are candles and salmon roses ...

{{!gwi}}

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

kmcg; the fabric I'm talking about is the striped that they made the seat; pillows out of. On the show page Here it says fabrics from Designer Fabric Outlet. I looked but don't see it. You seem like you have a knack for remembering where you saw fabric

I also love the lamps but they're probably outrageously priced.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Wow, Trailrunner, that rug is gorgeous!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Hi Roselvr! I *think* this may be it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Riga (SKU: 26945)

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Wow, you are awesome! Thanks so much!
    If it's not it; it's darned close. Gonna shower & show my daughter. I wanted to make sure i could get something similar before I got her hopes up. She's been wanting to add pink & I loved the look of that room

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Chris11895, I am still in awe that anyone would have white(ish) bar stools/benches in a kitchen.

I love it, but would need to replace the stools every 3 weeks.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

stinky, your pink room is gorgeous. I'm a lover of pink and your room is a perfect example of pink done right.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Your very welcome. Hope it works out!

• Cindy
    12 years ago

Can anyone recommend a grown-up pink for my 20 year old daughter's room? She has a slight vintage vibe with a touch of glam going on. The accent color is different shades of brown. I can paint the walls a complementary neutral tan but thought a neutral grown-up pink would be nice.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

Check out page 46 of the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens. There are some pretty pinks listed there. I'm considering the "adobe blush" on that page paired with a charcoal grey for the bedroom.