Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tibbrix

Favorite Household FInds

tibbrix
10 years ago

My first subject. Anyone else have an particularly favorite new finds for the home which have made your life easier and which you think others might like to know about? For instance, my two favorites are the curved shower curtain rod and my Haan electric steam mop. No more buying anything to clean floors. Pads are machine washable. Works on carpets, including getting dog pee out (if you catch it early), just via steam. Cleans thoroughly, and only the Haan reaches the sterilization temp of 212 degrees. I have read that the Hoover is also a good one. Also with the Haan, you don't have to pump it to make the steam come out. Just plug it in, wait for it to heat up, and, with no effort, just move it along the floor. Stuck something on the floor? Just hold the mop over it for a few seconds, and it loosens it right up.

Love it. Also love not getting stuck to my shower curtain liner and actually having tons of elbow room to wash my hair thanks to my Arc shower rod! Highly recommend both.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 15:02

Comments (80)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I've had a steam mop for a few years. I'm not at home so can't look, but I think mine is an electrolux. I know when I bought it I researched brands and how they rated. Consumer report rates them as does Good Housekeeping and others. I like to read Amazon ratings, but I don't go strictly by those. There are things to consider. You probably don't want to manually clip the pads on every time you use the mop. You want to make sure the mop has a long cord. You want to make sure it has a large enough tank so that you are not re-filling every few minutes. Most do say they can be used on sealed hardwood floors. I do not use mine on my hardwood, but I haven't had a need. I use my steam mop on kitchen, bathroom and sunroom floors. Works great. Use it slowly, and do not let it "sit" on one spot for too long - you can damage flooring.

I also have a Haans handheld steam cleaner which works great. It's not something I use in weekly or even monthly cleaning but it comes in handy. Great for cleaning tile, grout, in little crevices (around the base of the toilet, etc.) and even ovens. (Although my new LG oven has the steam cleaning which I should add to this topic.)

I don't use distilled water in either the steam mop or hand held steamer and have had no problems. Like I said, my mop is several years old and used often. No buildup yet.

tina

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I've had a steam mop for a few years. I'm not at home so can't look, but I think mine is an electrolux. I know when I bought it I researched brands and how they rated. Consumer report rates them as does Good Housekeeping and others. I like to read Amazon ratings, but I don't go strictly by those. There are things to consider. You probably don't want to manually clip the pads on every time you use the mop. You want to make sure the mop has a long cord. You want to make sure it has a large enough tank so that you are not re-filling every few minutes. Most do say they can be used on sealed hardwood floors. I do not use mine on my hardwood, but I haven't had a need. I use my steam mop on kitchen, bathroom and sunroom floors. Works great. Use it slowly, and do not let it "sit" on one spot for too long - you can damage flooring.

I also have a Haans handheld steam cleaner which works great. It's not something I use in weekly or even monthly cleaning but it comes in handy. Great for cleaning tile, grout, in little crevices (around the base of the toilet, etc.) and even ovens. (Although my new LG oven has the steam cleaning which I should add to this topic.)

I don't use distilled water in either the steam mop or hand held steamer and have had no problems. Like I said, my mop is several years old and used often. No buildup yet.

tina

• lolauren
    10 years ago

You can test your water for hardness; however, if you have hard water, you probably know it already. :) It leaves notorious spots on glass or various surfaces (eg, leaving a haze on shower walls, white spots on dark counters, etc. as the water dries and the minerals are leftover.) If you are on city water, the city can tell you how hard the water is. If you are on well water and don't know or want to test, ask your neighbors. :) Mine were happy to talk about their water softeners and various solutions... (There are other free tests, like seeing how well soap foams in water.)

Anyway, for me and my hard water, there is build-up when I don't use softened or distilled water that would harm any steam mop. If someone has soft water, they probably would never have an issue.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

The steamer I bought doesn't have a pump, thank goodness.

When I use my swiffer wet pads, I don't use the mop stick. I get on my hands and knees. I use both sides of the pads and it's much quicker and cleaner than using the swiffer mop. I would use a gardening pad for my knees. lol.

It's not the water that would hurt the wood, it's the heat. Most of the steam cleaners say we can use them on wood, but ask any wood manufacturer and they say no. Or most of them. Steam would definitely dull the sheen over time. I can't risk it even if it is safe.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

The SwifferVac. It's life changing in a house full of hardwoods.

Life Changing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiffer Sweepervac

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 17:40

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

1. Dyson rechargeable cordless stick vacuum! ($400)- I have the DC44.. Use it everyday on the kitchen floor and the hallway, it is so easy to change to the crevice or brush tool as needed, has a powerful vacuum, easy to dump the collected debris, and cordless- just stick it back onto the wall mounted charger (I had an outlet put into my closet for this, fortunately there was already an outlet on the other side of the wall so it took the electrician very little time).

2, motion activated light switch in our back hallway by the garage entrance- No more fumbling for the light switch when I enter with groceries. I like it so much I added it in two other areas as well.

3. induction kettle ($40) - heats water in very little time and then automatically turns off, I use it for anything that I need boiling water for, it's faster than heating on a stove.

4. silicon spoon spatula- Since I got one as a gift, it is my go-to cooking spoon and scraping spatula.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I can see I have a lot of shopping to do. I'd like to have the "touchable" lamp thingy. I always have to stretch a long way to turn off my bedside lamp, plus it is hard to turn the switch.

I have a Haan and love it for all the reasons Tibbrix mentions. You do have to keep it moving on hardwoods, but I use it on mine all the time. It's great on my much-hated porcelain tile kitchen floor. I only wish it would clean the grout!

I have a curved shower rod, too. Great invention. Love my outdoor motion lights, as well.

I'm having a hard time coming up with other items. How about my Roku box which makes streaming movies so easy? I like that.

Here's another -- Yaktrax for walking on ice. You clip them on your shoes or boots. They have little springs on the bottom that give wonderful traction. Just don't wear them n the house!

Another thing I'd like to get is the car seat gap filler I saw on Shark Tank. I am always dropping pens, coins, crumbs, my phone, etc. between the seat and console. This prevents that from happening.

I adore my 50 year old Sears Kenmore aqua green canister vacuum cleaner. That thing is a champ.

Dobie pads. Couldn't live without them.

Cordless blinds. It's so easy to just lift them and not deal with the cords that dangle and break.

I'll keep thinking. Love learning about new things.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I didn't know they made car seat gap fillers! I can't tell you how often I've dropped by phone between the car and the console. I've always been able to retrieve it, but it isn't easy (but I'm determined!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Seat Gap Filler

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dedtired,

I have those ice traction things as well. LOVE them. You do have to be careful, though, to not walk inside with them, and even more careful to remember to put them on again if you go in for a minute. My old mailman's wife had them on, went inside to get something, forgot to put them on, slipped and broke her hip! They work so well, that that is what can happen. You lose consciousness of the fact that it's icy outside!

Some mentioned that the touch-lamp thing only works on one circuit, so if you have two, i.e.: one for each bedside lamp, there can be problems with them if they're on the same circuit. Another option is the push button floor switch someone else mentioned above, which a lot of people use to turn their Christmas tree lights on and off. You could attach that to the side of your bedside table or the wall where it can't be seen, and just push that on and off rather than reaching for the lamp.

The seat gap filler is a good idea!

A friend has the cordless blinds in her beach house. They're great. I do wonder if they can break easily, though. I'm assuming they're also very expensive. The ones with the strings are expensive enough!

Cripes, I've procrastinated long enough. I have to get to work.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I love my stove gap filler..
    Who knew there was one for the car !!
    Thx

• teacats
    10 years ago

BEST EVER furniture polish -- all natural -- made in USA in a small family-run business ....

Makes your wood furniture glow! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: H.F. Staples -- Made in USA Williamsville Wax

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Motion activated lights in the hallway from the garage and over the stairway. Mine were a little expensive because both areas have three-way switches, but I love not having to find a switch when my hands are full.

Stufstop (discontinued) neoprene band that fits around the passenger seat of my car and keeps items in that seat like my purse from sliding off into the floor. Because it's stretchy and soft, it doesn't have to be removed when you have a passenger.

Any of the silicone collapsible items like salad spinner, colander, produce keeper, funnels, etc. that fold flat and take up so much less space than their non-collapsible counterparts.

Parchment paper for a thousand reasons....well, maybe 20 or so...LOL.

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect vacuum. I like Dyson, but only the canister wand will fit under the furniture and I don't like the immobility of the wand when I'm trying to use it to dust or vacuum vertical surfaces. The model I have also has a super short cord. I don't like the upright at all because it's too heavy and doesn't fit under any of my furniture.

I tried the Shark Pro Liftaway and it has the same problem fitting under furniture, plus it's poorly balanced so it is tiring to use. Again, the wand portion is either too short without the tube part attached or unbending with the tube part attached.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just remembered another favorite thing I had installed when I bought my house. I rent my house out to travelers/vacationers to Cape Cod, so rather than having to deal with keys, lost keys, worrying about copies being made, etc., I had a Schlage keypad door handle installed on the front door. I absolutely love it. I can program I think up to 19 codes, something like that, and change them whenever I want. I have my own personal code I use, then I try to think of a four-digit code that will be easy for tenants to remember (but not easy for naughties to figure out!). Just close the door behind you, and it's locked. No worrying you left your key inside, or lost it. Just punch the four-digit code. You can have in kept on unlock you want, though, just by flipping the deadbolt inside. In the dark, just press the very top "Schlage" key, and the keypad lights up.

Great for families with kids who come and go on their own too.
    Same battery has been in my door for 2.5 years. It does come with a key to override the code if there is a problem. (Keep that outside so you can get it if you needed it). But I have never had a problem with mine. Supposed to get 2,000 turns before needing a new battery.

Fun2BHere, if you can afford one, get a Miele canister vac, a simpler version (none of that silly bells and whistles stuff) but absolutely with the electric wand! They are very expensive, though. I bought a refurbished White Star Miele years ago. I will never own another brand of vac. I love it. Telescoping wand makes it SO easy to use; one button switch with your thumb for the beaters; no taking it apart for lengths, just push a button and pull it in or out.And it's very easy to change the bags too. I cannot recommend a Miele strongly enough. And btw, it's the one professional house cleaners all use around here!

It also has two places you can pop the wand on so you can carry it up and down stairs with one hand, by the handle. And it is not heavy. Great vacuum in every way. Amazing suction too.

Below is the Schlage I have, but it comes in a lot of different styles and types.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schlage Keypad Door Lock

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 13:54

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, thanks for the recommendation for the Miele. I should find a dealer around here so I can try one out before buying. I feel like I've wasted so much money on vacuum cleaners.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fun2BHere, you can also ask if they have a refurbished Miele. I bought mine @ 15 years ago, and it still works like the day I got it, like a new machine. I paid $320 for it, which seemed like a fortune for a vacuum (and was for me!). But, it has turned out to have been a very worthwhile and smart expenditure. New ones can be $1,000+! So, like I said, get one with an on and off button, cord retraction, nothing moreâ¦but absolutely get the electric wand. You can go to their site and compare them. The two wands you want are the Electro and the Electro Premium. Don't spend extra $$ for the "Premium". I'm sure you vacuum with lights on, or in daylight, so don't need a row of lights on the vacuum!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Thanks for the extra information, Tibbrix. I agree that I don't need the lights although they might be handy on the wand when vacuuming under furniture.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe better to not see what's under there! ;-)

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another: Denali 60 X 70 throws. Big, thick, no fringe, easy to care for, comes in two sizes and a ton of cool patternsâ¦love my "Dark Chocolate Stripe"â¦

Here is a link that might be useful: Denali throws

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Just reread my post. My canister vac is definitely not 50 years old. I think I meant 25. That would be one heck of an old vacuum cleaner!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dedtired, stuff was made much better back then, esp. appliances and things like vacuums.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Tibbrix - I may have missed it, but which Haan did you buy?
    Thank you

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

newhomebuilder,

Mine is the Haan Slim & Light, Model S135R.

It's one of the more basic models (I believe basic tends to be better and more bells and whistles add weight, more things to break, etc.).

You can go to their site, though, and click on the models you want to compare and see if there is one that you like.

Also, Kohl's sells the Slim & Light (for $40 more than if you buy it directly from the Haan site, as I did!), and there are 35 reviews of it on their site.

Also suggest looking at some other brands. AS I said, I've read good things about the Hoover, the Oreck, and someone here said they have a Shark they like which they don't have to pump for the steam. The Shark I had used you did have to pump it, which was a surprising amount of work and a pain. That's why I looked at others.

My only complaint, so far, about the Haan is that the head is too big to get to one side of two of my toilets, so I do those areas by hand. Other than that, I just love it. It is slow, though. You have to move it across the floor slowly to get the full effect of the heat and steam. A lot of people have expressed concern for their wood floors, but if you notice the reviews on Kohl's, a lot of them talk about how they use them on their hardwood floors. My bathroom pine floor oil coated, not varnished, which is the wood floor I use by far the most on shows absolutely no negative effects.

What has surprised me the most about it is how well it gets dog pee up. I just let it sit on it and let the steam do its thing. But remember: never, ever leave it sitting on a wood or plastic/poly floor. It has to keep moving on those, or it should be on its cooling/heating pad or tipped against a wall so the head is not flat on the floor.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Thank you for the model number and tips. I have all hardwood floors with the exception of tiles bathrooms and laundry.

We also have a Kohl's so I can go check them out in person if they are in stock.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Kohl's site says the Haans are "online only", so you'er kind of stuck. The Haan site might be able to direct you to a dealer in your area. I'd also look at the Agile model.

• User
    10 years ago

Such a great thread! I can add that I had been in the market for a steam mop a few years back and finally decided to just try the shark pocket mop(there are a few similar ones, this one is a pretty basic model and I believe cost about $60 ). I ADORE IT. I love that (as with all steam mops I am sure) the floor is dry in about 45 seconds. It used to be that whenever I mopped, my family and dog would feel the need to come through:). The only down side to this one is there is no on/off switch; so I just disconnect it from the outlet to let it cool and then put it away. It is only for hard flooring; not sure if it would be ok for wood as I only use it on tile but love it. A few months ago it acted up and I figured I would just buy a new one but then it began behaving again so I really am thrilled with it.
    I do have to sweep/vacuum constantly with messy people and messy dog making lots of hair and crumbs and that I have not really found a great solution to. I do use Swiffer dry cloths and my Kenmore canister which is equally awesome but cumbersome.
    I am definitely going to look into the furniture polish that was posted above the hfstaples link. thank you

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, another fabulous, "little-thing-makes-a-big-difference" item arrived yesterday. The Aquarius double-hook shower curtain hooks. $2.99/package of 12. Put them on right away, and I LOVE them! They stay on the above-mentioned Arc curtain rod, since each side has the weight of either the liner or the curtain on it; you just slide them on, there is no clicking or closing or messing with at all. Pop the liner on the inner hook and the curtain on the outer hook and you are DONE. Now, when the liner gets gross and you need to wash it or replace it, you can just lift it off without having to open each hook up and also take the curtain off. Same with if you want to wash the curtain; just take IT off, not the liner also.

I bought the clear ones and I'm glad I did. They actually look nice! (for plastic). I do wish they'd make these in stainless steel with options of glossy, satin and nickel finishes, even ORB. They are GREAT!
    The only other double hook hooks I could find hooked over the rod, and I could tell just by looking at them that they'd be constantly falling off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquarius double hook shower curtain hooks.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 11:49

• User
    10 years ago

I've read this thread with interest, especially with respect to the steamers. Went to Haan website and was a little suspicious of all the glowing reviews, many of which seem to be written by people as they take the item out of the box, or having used it only once.

Amazon has about 300 reviews with quite a few of the good ones written by people who've had their steamers for a short time. The bad reviews all say essentially the same thing--- very poor service when something goes wrong. Unfortunately, Shark doesn't have a reputation for quality either. Has anyone used brand other than Haan or Shark?

• graywings123
    10 years ago

The canister models of steam (vapor) cleaners cost more but produce hotter steam and have a larger tank capacity than the steam mops. They have stainless steel tanks and come with attachments, so you are able to clean more things with them. Many are made in Italy.

I have a Vapor Clean TR6. I would not necessarily recommend it over other similar units - I mention it only as reference point.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As soon as I have $800 for a steam cleaner, I'll definitely get a Vapor Clean! How I would love one! I love that it comes with all the attachments and can clean grout, which my Haan cannot do. I'd have to get a separate machine for that.

Comparing something like a Vapor Clean with anything like a Haan or a Shark or any others in that grouping is like comparing and electric egg beater with an industrial mixer!

So jealous of gratings. I'm the first to say, if you can afford the VApro Clean or its ilk, that is what you want.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Well, Tibbrix, I got my steam cleaner in yesterday (along with a kitten that was on the UPS truck!) and used it this morning. I love it!!

The floor was just filthy with muddy paw prints from all the snow. I went over it slowly and it sure did the trick.

It has three settings which I like. It came with two pads and I bought 2 extras.

Thanks for the head's up!

• crl_
    10 years ago

I found the best step stool ever. It folds very flat. And is super easy to open and close. It is wider than most which makes it perfect for my preschooler to use to "help" me in the kitchen. Also nice for me putting dishes away in high up cabinets as I can move around a bit to reach. And it is very sturdy. Dh begged me to buy him one too to keep in his SUV to use when he loads and unloads his kayak on top because it folds down so flat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Awesome step stool

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Oakleyok, so glad you followed up. Gladder still that you are happy, so far, with the mop. Did you get a Haan? which one? I think you were smart to get the extra pads, esp. if you have a busy household. I didn't get them. May order more at some point.

Don't you love that you just set the unit down on the pad and then rip the pad off when you're done? I think you'll find that cleaning floors just got a whole lot easier and that it's not a big deal at all to take the mop out, plug it in, fill the well with water ,and just do what needs to be done. So easy.

Glad my big mouth here (I'm in hibernation right now with not a lot to doâ¦but I will be shoveling tomorrow!) resulted in someone finding something that helps. I think you'll find you like it more and more as time goes on because of how easy it is to use and how little (none) exertion it takes.

Congrats! Also on the kitten! How funny! How did a kitten come be on a UPS truck, and how did you come to adopt him/her?

• crl_
    10 years ago

And I found this cheap cloth shower curtain that doesn't need a liner.

I was sick of my liners growing mold and they would rip if I put them in the washing machine and I didn't want to try to wipe them clean all the time.

These cloth curtains don't need a separate liner, they can be washed in the machine and after several months of use they have not developed any mold at all. I use them alone as I like things simple, but you could use them as liners with a fancier shower curtain on the outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower curtain

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks crl! I need those shower curtains. I use the plastic liners, and the get moldy in the summer, and I rent my house out, so can't have that. So I have to keep a stash of them.

I actually had the kind you show here years ago and completely forgot about them! Yay! No more throwing huge pieces of plastic away!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Does anyone here have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner? I still have one, purchased c. 1990. I keep it because it outperforms the Electrolux, the Orek and the Dyson. We have another but I forgot what it is. I have 5 and I like the old Rainbow best of all.

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

Well, this thread got me spending too much time today researching steam mops!

My Costco has the Shark pro that steams and sprays in stock for 119.99 - which is 20-30 less than the HSN special or Amazon. May just go have a look at one... The long winter and salt and doggies have made a mess of my floors, and cleaning them with a bucket and rags is so tiresome.

Thanks!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

celticmoon, make sure it isn't the kind of Shark you have to pump to get the steam to come out. Also, with the Shark, you put the terrycloth towel thing on the head of the mop, which is a pain. With the Haan, the pads are flat, and you just sit the mop right down on them. They attach via velcro, and then when you're done, you just rip them off. Again, not pushing the Haan, just pointing out some differences I've noticed from using both.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

With a Kohl's charge and 30% off coupon (LOVE30) , the Haan mops are a few $$ cheaper than on their site. Think I am going to order me one for my kitchen floors.

Who would have thought I would get excited about cleaning!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haan owes me a freeâ¦.something!

Lol.

Hope you like it, rnmomof2. You can do it while blabbing on the phone.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Love this thread!

I put remote control ceiling fans in the upstairs bedrooms a few years. It is terrific to be able to adjust the fan speed and/or light in the middle of the night without getting out of bed.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Just thought I would mention the Haan prices were pretty much the same everywhere when I was buying. I knew what I wanted and ordered it from BB&B with 20% off coupon. A concern was easy return if I wasn't satisfied with no shipping or restock fee.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

T, I ended up with a Shark. It's pretty much like the Haan except it doesn't have a resting pad to set it on, so I lay it across the counter.

I'm still shocked at how easy it is to use. I went through two pads, and that was just for the kitchen! Utility room next.

We're in the country so we think a farm kitten jumped on the truck and she got off at our house. Impossible to find where she came from. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. :)

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oakleyok, lucky kitty! Keep an eye on her, though, the next time a UPS truck comes around!

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

Thx T. Will check on the pump trigger.

Wonder if there is a way to retrofit easy fastening generic pads with Velcro somehow..

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

celticmoon,

The Velcro thing is another feature I really like about my Haan. It's just a flat pad, and you just plop the steamer on top of the pad, then rip the pad off when you're done. Maybe the Sharks have adopted the same thing. I don't know about any others. When I used the Shark, the pads were fitted on, and you had to turn the machine over to put the pad on, and it was a tight fitâ¦.

to me, those are the things that make you groan about having to take a cleaning tool out to clean up a mess. Again that's why I like the Haan, because everything is easy about it.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 11:45

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

Thanks Tibbix for the tips!

The Costco Shark does have continuous steam and does not need a constant trigger action. It also does have velcro for the pads, making on & off easy. This Costco model does not have the multiple steam levels like the HSN one. I bought it anyway.

So...I found it a bit hard to move on the quarter acre of Marmoleum here. Could be because Marmoleum has a slight texture or it could be, well, the filth. (dogs, toddler, salt & garage grit from this endless winter), It did slide very smoothly over a cleaner wood hallway.

I made three passes with the micro pads and one with a disposable pad. First was black, second mottled black and third greyish, like a dirty mop. The disposable was also greyish. I believe I am dealing with years of buildup. I still see film in places but the floor is way cleaner than it has been in years. The colors seem much brighter too. I am washing the pads and will then give it another go. I am thinking three more passes should do it.

Overall I am happy with it. I have been struggling with this floor as changing water and rags umpteen times still left a film, and the scrubbing was hard on my 60-plus year old knees. This Shark beats my other plan to enlist a very resistant DH in a tandem operation involving buckets of water and the shop vac...

FYI: Walmart had better prices than Lowe's on extra pads: 9.88 vs 14.98.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It sounds like Shark as adopted the style of Velcro pads, which is a plus. Also glad you no longer have to pump the Shark to get steam.

I wonder why it's hard across that one floor of yours. Texture shouldn't affect it at all. Only thing I can think is that you're possibly moving it too fast, so the floor isn't getting enough steam to make it slick?

I hope you like it in the long term. It's definitely easier on the knees! From one no-longer-a-spring-chicken to another!

I am so hoping folks who found this thread and went out and got a steam cleaner like them! I'll feel responsible!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Tib, she's not allowed outdoors yet. When she goes out it will be in the fenced in backyard only. It's a high fence. She's such a stinker. Woke me up this morning by attacking my legs. lol

I think the texture of the marmoleum would make a difference. Could there be an old waxy buildup on it? Are you pressing down too hard?

Hopefully after the first deep cleaning it will glide better.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

OakleyOK, I think your little Valentine's Day gift was the perfect present. I am so happy for both of you. Baby has a good home and Mommy has a good companion!!! (I am a cat person and my 18YO baby died tomorrow a year ago). I am not sure when the grief ends for a pet who has been with you as long as children. My children turned 18, packed up, went off to college, met women, graduated, got married and never returned as a part of my household again. My kitty did not do that. He learned all he needed to know by my side on the hard drive and never met a woman he liked better than his mommy. ;-)

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

It is definitely the Marmoleum. This Shark is fabulous on wood and especially on tile. Wow. And it is probably not the Marmoleum but the accrual of detergent on it -( I had a cleaning lady for a while who loved Ajax, etc.) With each pass the floor gets cleaner, but I am a ways away from no residue.

You are right : slower does help, Tibbrix. More tai chi than ninja.

Oh, and the more gunk removed the easier it glides.

Done for now. At least I won't be cringing and praying I see no white socks when guests for dinner tonight take off their boots (4-6 more inches forecast today. Sigh.)

Now to create the "fish cake" the toddler has been asking for all week for his party. I am just going to assume he means fish shaped....

(these look much dirtier in real life)